"Combing" the air conditioner

VoyT

Recycles dryer sheets
  Since folks here have a wealth of DIY knowledge ....

I'd mentioned a while back that we took some hail damage at the house (we'll be getting a new roof and siding among other things.)  Anyway, our air conditioning unit took some dents (about a dozen). The insurance co. paid for "combing" the fins. Of course, the heating/air conditioning folks effectively want twice as much as what the ins will pay. ($89 to come out, then there's the cost of the repair, which no one wants to estimate till they see it.)
    I've been looking at the DIY sites and it looks like a reasonably easy project ... also looks like I could pick up a "fin comb" for less than $20. 
    So .. has anyone ever done this?  Is it reasonably easy, or am I running the  risk of damaging something (and yes, I realize I need to keep my fingers away from the fins  :eek:)

Depends on how badly dented they are. If its 4" deep dents, you might want a pro to look at the whole thing. If its some fins bent over a quarter inch or a half inch, DIY.

Good point ... I'll have to take a closer look at those dents...

You might consider talking to your claim's adjuster and asking for them to give you the name of a firm that will repair the air condition for what they allow. Let them put their mouth where their estmate is.

Back
Top Bottom