Polls about forum members

JB

Full time employment: Posting here.
I didn't vote in either of the polls I think they are a bad idea. They'll only serve to alienate people and have no useful purpose. Haven't we been through this before? I don't think they should be banned but people should think twice before posting polls on forum members.

Re: Polls about form members

Thanks. I was about to post the same thing. This is one area in which moderators should really moderate, especially when it comes to themselves.

What's next? Picking teams for dodge ball?

Only if I can be the fat kid, picked last.

-CC

oops!

Didn't look at it from that angle...sorry..
I really meant it as a positive pat on the back thing not that it would be something to hurt .

:'(

Chat boards are tricky, no one can see the smile on your face when you say something, your body language, etc. so things tend to be taken a little more seriously and a little more literally. Still, the popularity contest one seemed innocent enough.

I really meant it as a positive pat on the back thing not that it would be something to hurt .
I understood that when I first saw the poll. But there can sometimes be unintended consequences. What happens if CFB scores high on CTs poll and low on yours. He might not come back.

Still, the popularity contest one seemed innocent enough.

I think we had one of these already.... What if the unpopular posters decide to leave? The popular ones don't need any more back rubs -- they get plenty here.

Popularity/vanity polls, like discussions of politics and religion, often have unintended consequences. However, this is a discussion board and we (moderators) try to give lots of wiggle room on what is posted here. Occasionally it blows up on us, but I don't think anyone wants us to become a bunch of thread Nazi's riding herd on every post.

Hmmmm

Yeah you rite! Given the range of posters here - each bringing his background/skill set to the party - I'm coming around to the opinion - polls about forum members perhaps backfired on us.

I listen differentially depending on the thread topic and the poster's ' percieved knowledge of the subject' as aluded to earlier - so popularity is irrelevant. By extention - so is the need to be right - a rigorous debate fleshes out the options availible on a given subject.

heh heh heh heh

Popularity/vanity polls, like discussions of politics and religion, often have unintended consequences. However, this is a discussion board and we (moderators) try to give lots of wiggle room on what is posted here. Occasionally it blows up on us, but I don't think anyone wants us to become a bunch of thread Nazi's riding herd on every post.

There is a big difference. Discussions of politics and religion are about ideas. These polls are about people.

I don't have any problem with debate. Or wiggle room. Or just about anything else. But polls are anonymous. There is no accountability (except for the pollster). So, polls that personally attack people (even indirectly) with no accountability don't seem like a great idea to me.

JB said:
I didn't vote in either of the polls I think they are a bad idea. They'll only serve to alienate people and have no useful purpose. Haven't we been through this before? I don't think they should be banned but people should think twice before posting polls on forum members.

Well said, JB. I don't think intothemystic meant any harm though....

JB said:
There is a big difference. Discussions of politics and religion are about ideas. These polls are about people.

Many people cannot separate themselves from their ideas about politics and especially about religion. Too personal.

They'll only serve to alienate people and have no useful purpose. Haven't we been through this before?

I was thinking, yes! High School

Didn't look at it from that angle...sorry..

You must be one of those "ESFP"

The old adage: people will forget what you tell them in no time, but they will remember forever how you said it.

Applies doubly to a forum where the reassuring teasing smile or the pat on the back to show you meant something as a joke are lacking. We clearly have some pretty fragile souls here even though they may not come across that way in their posts, unless you read between the lines.

And to think we are just strangers exchanging electrons...

But but but -

I want my electrons back -

Pancake stacks AND bazoomers!

heh heh heh

Rich_in_Tampa said:
And to think we are just strangers exchanging electrons...

I hope we're all practicing safe electron sharing and wearing virtual condoms. I know some of you studs wear magnum xl ;)

Oh, she's just fishing for votes!!! :D ::) :D

shiny said:
Oh, she's just fishing for votes!!! :D ::) :D

nah, I'd never win. I don't contribute anything of value to these forums other than pics of big bazoomas, kathy bate's naked arse, and thong wearing rhinos.

How can there be any vote-fishing after a claim of having the biggest boobs? ;)

razztazz said:
I was thinking, yes! High School

You must be one of those "ESFP"
Hey watch the stereotyping!....just because I drive a jetta.....doesn't mean....

cube_rat said:
nah, I'd never win. I don't contribute anything of value to these forums other than pics of big bazoomas, kathy bate's naked arse, and thong wearing rhinos.

I think of that ass value added content

I think I am also against polls and ratings.

Popularity is often a poor guide to value. Each of us has different needs that we attempt to meet (in part) on this board, one person may want to learn about SWR, another about health insurance, another about computer questions or consumer feedback.

Also, I like most everyone who posts here.We are all individuals, not competitors in some linear race. So we all have different things to offer.

Ha

HaHa said:
I think I am also against polls and ratings.

Popularity is often a poor guide to value. Each of us has different needs that we attempt to meet (in part) on this board, one person may want to learn about SWR, another about health insurance, another about computer questions or consumer feedback.

Also, I like most everyone who posts here.We are all individuals, not competitors in some linear race. So we all have different things to offer.

Ha
This is a perfect example of why HaHa is my favorite poster. Let's hear it for Ha. Oh . . . wait a minute . . . forget I said that. Actually, I am a little disappointed that I won't be able to give my acceptance speech for winning the know-it-all award. I've been working on it for some time and I wanted to thank the board and the little posters who made it all possible put me in my place. CT removed that poll right after all the board voters rescinded their earlier votes for other lesser know-it-alls and I won in a landslide. Many of you may have missed that. I am suspicious that the current informal ban on this type of poll is actually a conspiracy by CFB, wab and CT to avoid embarrassment at my victory.

And some of my favorite posts are polls. :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom