Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   Seminar Report #2 (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/seminar-report-2-a-23281.html)

mickeyd 09-29-2006 09:50 AM

Seminar Report #2

I attended another financial planning last night at the local Outback Steak House. What follows are my notes:

Retirement Planning Seminar 9/28/2006

Room for about 80 however only about 30 were in attendance. 1:30 was length of presentation. Ordered food prior to seminnar began. In speaking to the presentor just after I arrived (a bit late) I was asked to "sign in". I questioned this and asked why and was told "When I am writing them a check for over $300, I like to know who is here."

Covered risk/reward; age appropriate investing; “I have only 3-4 mutual funds that I like”; shrinking income; A shares, B shares and* C shares with 1% fees ~”It’s the one that I like” he said; he slammed First Command 50% commission; “No such thing as a NL fund”; “#1 fund is American Funds, my favorite”; VAs have “a lot of fees”; ‘inservice distribution” means that one can RO* 401k, 403b etc funds to an IRA while active; EIA are a good solution to many investment problems; he hit bonds very briefly w/vague info; Re: living trust~ not needed unless you have buildings as an investment; LTC very brief/vague”; financial media folks (Cramer, Orman, Quinn, Ramsey, Burns) are all* pretty good.

He seemed very rushed (ill prepared?) at the end of the presentation and mentioned it several times that he was not going to be able to get into a subject because the food was almost ready and “Outback doesn’t want you folks to wait."

We were asked to complete and submit a Response Sheet for a free consultation. I did not complete it.

Had an 8oz center cut sirloin steak w/baked potato and salad. Alternate entrees were salmon and chicken.

I rate the meal as an A. Presentation rated as a C-.

brewer12345 09-29-2006 09:59 AM

Re: Seminar Report #2

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeyd
In speaking to the presentor just after I arrived (a bit late) I was ased to "sign in" I questioned this and asked why and was told "When I am writing them a check for over $300, I like to know who is here."

Mr. Heywood Jahblowme
13 Outhouse Way
Anywhere, USA
800-555-1212

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Telly 09-29-2006 10:07 AM

Thanks for going, and the report!

I often get stuff in the mail from people inviting me to pick a restaurant and a date, with "tickets" included. Outback seems to be a common hit. *Some try to be more exclusive, with fancier paper and tickets, and only one showing.

After a brief read, they all go into the landfill fodder bin.

I figured they were just a method of trolling to try to snare new clients. But I sometimes wondered what one would be like.

Thanks to you, I know now!

ronin 09-29-2006 10:14 AM

I just got invited to a "women's investing" seminar w/special guest Sarah Ferguson (a $149 value in bold italics). I don't have an androgynous first name... so... ? My wife wondered if they were going to talk about Weight Watchers. I said she was welcome to go, find out and report back. I guess we'll never know.

FinanceDude 09-29-2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeyd
I attended another financial planning last night at the local Outback Steak House. What follows are my notes:

Retirement Planning Seminar 9/28/2006

Room for about 80 however only about 30 were in attendance. 1:30 was length of presentation. Ordered food prior to seminnar began. In speaking to the presentor just after I arrived (a bit late) I was asked to "sign in". I questioned this and asked why and was told "When I am writing them a check for over $300, I like to know who is here."

Covered risk/reward; age appropriate investing; “I have only 3-4 mutual funds that I like”; shrinking income; A shares, B shares and* C shares with 1% fees ~”It’s the one that I like” he said; he slammed First Command 50% commission; “No such thing as a NL fund”; “#1 fund is American Funds, my favorite”; VAs have “a lot of fees”; ‘inservice distribution” means that one can RO* 401k, 403b etc funds to an IRA while active; EIA are a good solution to many investment problems; he hit bonds very briefly w/vague info; Re: living trust~ not needed unless you have buildings as an investment; LTC very brief/vague”; financial media folks (Cramer, Orman, Quinn, Ramsey, Burns) are all* pretty good.

He seemed very rushed (ill prepared?) at the end of the presentation and mentioned it several times that he was not going to be able to get into a subject because the food was almost ready and “Outback doesn’t want you folks to wait."

We were asked to complete and submit a Response Sheet for a free consultation. I did not complete it.

Had an 8oz center cut sirloin steak w/baked potato and salad. Alternate entrees were salmon and chicken.

I rate the meal as an A. Presentation rated as a C-.

Sounds like a Metlife of NML seminar............... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

At least you got a good meal............ ;)

When I did seminars, I practiced the presentation a million times, and timed myself. It's pretty worthless if you can't get the info out in a limited time..........

I used to do "Smart Women Finish Rich" seminars until Van Kampen put "you have to use us as a majority of your investing in mutual funds" mantra on using the program............ :(

Callie 09-29-2006 12:46 PM

We get alot of these invitations also. I took a course at a CC on retirement planning and it was very good. lots of neutral information. It was 4 nites, 2 hours each nite. The instructor was from a FP firm and at the end he offered a free eval. We would have done the eval, but they only offered appt time between 10-3, because he likes to go home to his kids.

My hub is a contractor and we were not about to give up cash. I though this was short sighted of him.

Brat 09-29-2006 01:35 PM

I signed up for Lucia's gig this Saturday, then I learned that it is at the Seatac Hilton, not the downtown Hilton. To get there before the presentation starts I would need to take the 5:20 am ferry... don't know if it would be worth getting out of bed THAT early!

LoveNumbers 09-29-2006 04:29 PM

We attended one about a month ago - our very first. I thought the food (buffet style) was good but DH rated it a so-so. Then, again, I think any cooked food is good.

DH had the same question when asked to sign in at the door. They said it was for IRS for expense write-off or some deduction of the kind.

Happy Friday to everyone!

Tomorrow is our anniversary. Going to Baltimore to see the world. Can't wait!

Jenni

jazz4cash 09-29-2006 06:42 PM

Dang...wish I could get Outback for free. So who was the presentor...someone local or what?

73ss454 09-29-2006 07:22 PM

As my DW always reminds me.

Any meal that I don't have to cook is a good meal!

mickeyd 10-01-2006 01:02 PM

Quote:

So who was the presentor...someone local or what?
Yea, he was a local guy who claimed to have been in business in the city for 25 years or so. I guess he was just trolling for new clients and this beats telemarketing.