Seminar Report #4

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C

Time: 5PM

Sequence: After arrival at the venue and taking a seat, a waiter comes around and takes your food order (shrimp, chicken or pork chop/ pasta/salad) is taken, presentation begins and lasts until about 6:20, food served at 6:20, depart venue at 7PM.

Notes/Observations about seminar: Power point presentation was well done, but too much “touchy-feely” slides/music; Presenter has been doing this for 3 years and does 2-3 of these seminars at different restaurants per month; “Our product portfolio contains annuities, insurance and LTC”; In commenting about EIAs he says” They tell me that I should also refer to an EIA as a fixed annuity;” In examples of inflation he used 4.4%, I thought that this was unrealistic and 3% would be better but 4.4% made all of his “numbers” work better; In discussing inflation of 4.4% this comment “these are real numbers”; “4.4% is average annual inflation 1978-2004”; Used tax rate example of 25%; “People lose a lot of money in the market with EIA you can not lose money”; EIA example that he used had a 6% cap on EIA that after “ten years” came out better than the “stock market” with “less financial stress”; As 3 of the “10 year examples” were losing years he said “(with EIA) you turn losing years into zero years (called it “the power of Zero);” Showed how annual “lock in” of EIA can push the current value higher and higher; Showed a complex idea of how purchasing a series of 4 annuities, one immediate and 3 others that were deferred (all different interest rates) could preserve your original investment of $100k after 15 years (start w $100k, receive various distributions for 15 years, end with $100k)~very contrived IMHO; he showed how your IRA could be “rescued” during RMD by purchasing a survivor life insurance policy as a “legacy” for the kids; was asked to complete the “request card” for free consultation at his office; most folks seemed to complete it as directed and set an appointment. I did not complete or turn in the form. As mutual funds were not mentioned in a positive manner, I assume that he does not have NASD series 6 or 7 license. Only insurance products were discussed.

Food Grade ~A
Presentation Grade~C

Mickeyd, thanks for the report. I wish some of these seminars would be held in the city where I live, so I could attend and get entertained... And if the food is good, so much the better.

Out of curiosity, was that seminar from Ameriprise? Annuities and insurance, particularly VUL policies, seem to be straight from their playbook. If you haven't taken a look at amexsux.com then do so, there are some insiders posting there. It can make for pretty fun reading.

Back
Top Bottom