health insurance 2007

how much more/less does your health insurance cost you than in 2006?

• Woohoo--it's cheaper!

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • About the same

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Went up <=10%

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Went up <=20%

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Went up <=30%

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Went up <=40%

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

astromeria

Moderator Emeritus
If you participated in the poll and are changing your insurance from 2006, please let us know why--chose better insurance, chose higher deductible, moved to/from an HMO, going bare, moving abroad, whatever.

Despite many warnings to the contrary............no significant difference. Employer told us at beginning of year that this would be the "base" year and we will have to pay all increases from now on, so next year could be bad. I kept to telling co-workers to "pump up the base", but most of 'em just looked at me like I had three heads. Seems like most would rather complain than consider for alternatives, FSAs, etc. One big issue to me is lack of adequate compensation for co-insurance. If spouse and I both pay a full premium, we get less coverage than opting out on her plan

I was pleased as punch, and a little shocked :eek:) to learn that MegaCorp's retiree coverage will cost me less than 1% more next year than this year. It seems almost too good to be true!

Wahoo votes woohoo (down about 30%), but... We're moving off COBRA to individual $5,000 deductible policies. I'm going to BC/BS and DW is going to the state high risk pool.

On average hasnt it been going up 6 percent a year?

One of the reasons I just moved to AZ was to lower my health insurance. My $5000 deductable with decent copay lowered my prior COBRA payments by 53%.

astromeria said:
If you participated in the poll and are changing your insurance from 2006, please let us know why--chose better insurance, chose higher deductible, moved to/from an HMO, going bare, moving abroad, whatever.

My insurance went up 18% last year and even more the year before. I think they decided to take a breather since their raises were exceeding health care inflation year after year. They will take it out of my hide in a future year, I'm sure.

15% increase for me this year. These are the type of increases that may keep me semi-retired for life.

Just got it yesterday. 10% increase for 2007. Not sure yet what I am
do next year.

JG

REWahoo! said:
Wahoo votes woohoo (down about 30%), but... We're moving off COBRA to individual $5,000 deductible policies. I'm going to BC/BS and DW is going to the state high risk pool.

Are the bennies the same as the COBRA policy?

Patrick said:
Are the bennies the same as the COBRA policy?

Not even close. COBRA was $300 deductible vs. $5,000 now. Although the premiums dropped significantly, both DW and I will pass the age 60 threshold within the next 18 months and rates bump up at that point...in addition to annual (or semi-annual in the case of the state pool) premium increases. :p

REWahoo! said:
Not even close. COBRA was $300 deductible vs. $5,000 now.

Try a $10,000 deductible on for size. But that was my choice. I was looking for catastrophic coverage.(Does have doc and drug co-pays) As a result, this little skin cancer surgery I will have soon will come out of my pocket. Luckily, I still have a cancer policy from my company that will reimburse me for some of it. :)

8.8 % increase for 2007 MVP New York state
Round and round she goes

I turned 50 in August and got a lovely 18% increase(I joined in July)..... They claim I will not get another big bump like this till I tick age 55.

We'll see

Oh, When I turn 55 my wife will be turning 50 :eek:...can't wait to see how they work that one out.

In my previous post I indicated that my insurance went down by 53% when I got off COBRA. I neglected to add that the insurance I did get in AZ just went up by 11.4%. I had initially intended to get their other $5000 ded plan with no co-pay but it went up by a wopping 21%. I don't know why they would discourage people from going to the $5k ded which had no co-pay. I figured I can drop down to the no co-pay anytime if I feel the extra $60 per month isn't worth it.

vagabond said:
I don't know why they would discourage people from going to the $5k ded which had no co-pay.

In the policy that we had with my old employer, the co-pay covered almost the entire cost of most office visits, minor procedures, and drugs, after discounts and write-offs. The plan paid almost nothing.

If AZ's is like that, they don't want you to go to the no-co-pay plan because then they would have to pay SOMETHING. :(

A 15% hike in premiums for me ... plus higher co-pays and deductables...

Mine is scheduledto increase 5.3% for my family coverage (3 dependants, 2 are teenagers) if I keep the same BCBS plan ($2500 per person deductible).

I'm strongly considering changing to a high deductible BCBS policy (either $4k or $5k for the entire family - then 100% coverage without co-pay) and utilizing a Health Savings Acct. Any HSA experiences to share or comments on this plan?

Note - everyone is healthy, though one family member has a $200/mo prescription that would apply to the deductible.

Thanks
Al4

I'm curious about the other "Went up <= 40%" folks--what's the deal?

We decided to stick with our current insurance (best coverage offered, lowest deductible) due to some health issues of mine that are apt to make me pay the entire deductible for the other options next year--which would be more expensive than paying the higher premium. Premium (for employee & spouse) went from $335 to $470/month. Lest anyone think that every state's public employees are getting a free ride at taxpayer expense, COBRA for this coverage is twice the premium, so that tells me we're paying 50% of the cost. Hmmm, does that puts us in the Wal-Mart category?!

We tried to add supplemental long-term disability for DH, but apparently you can only do that in alternate years, and this ain't the year. It's surprisingly cheap. We're adding LTC for him this time (not cheap), but he will have to pass a physical first.

Our insurance actually went down by 15% this year. DH's company covers his insurance, but we pay the unsubsidized entire cost for me and the kids which was about $800/month before the reduction.

The reason for the reduction is a change in insurance providers. However, the downside is that some benefits have changed. Emergency room coverage requires not just the $125 copay, but the $2500 deductible also, before the insurance kicks in.

I was planning on an increase of 10% this year, so we are very happy for the reprieve.

We pay $50 per month for $2000 deductible family Megacorp retirement medical. Wife and 23 year old son are healthy. I am healthy also but my primary coverage is with my current employer. It is 0 deductible and no premium. The three of us haven't spent 1 cent on medical expenses for the last 10 years.

Just got our company renewal quote for 2007 and it did not go up. First time in 10 years BCBS did not raise it 8% or more. Sweet thing is, our agent also has a quote from United Health Care, with a few more perks, and it is about 5% less than BCBS. Nice to have choices. :)

Back
Top Bottom