modem woes

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Problem has arisen connecting to internet (dial-up earthlink). 2x clik the icon, get the little window, intializing (ok), opening comm port (ok), dialing (ok), then nothing. Little sounds like the elves who hold hands and drive the crystal with their psychic energy have run amok (sorry for the deep techno-jargon). Phone line's ok, ph # ok, just can't get no stinking connection. I'm thinking modem no bueno. :confused: :confused:

ronin said:
Problem has arisen connecting to internet (dial-up earthlink). 2x clik the icon, get the little window, intializing (ok), opening comm port (ok), dialing (ok), then nothing. Little sounds like the elves who hold hands and drive the crystal with their psychic energy have run amok (sorry for the deep techno-jargon). Phone line's ok, ph # ok, just can't get no stinking connection. I'm thinking modem no bueno. :confused: :confused:

Yup, sounds like the modem card went belly up. You can fix it quite easily. Buy a new modem card and install it. If it fixes it your set. If it does not make sure the place you buy it from will take a return. Modem cards are pretty cheap. SHould be around $20.

Cut-Throat said:
Yup, sounds like the modem card went belly up. You can fix it quite easily. Buy a new modem card and install it. If it fixes it your set. If it does not make sure the place you buy it from will take a return. Modem cards are pretty cheap. SHould be around $20.
You might also try pulling the card & reseating it.

Modems are very sensitive to noise in the phone line and I've had them blow out during lightning storms; the result is just what you describe.

Do as C-T suggests and replace the modem but also get a surge suppressor that also has connectors to protect the phone lines. Or bite the bullet and go to cheap dsl (mine is $18/mo for 2mbps) but also run phone line through a surge supressor.

Good luck

JohnP

Do you live in a rural area? In urban areas where there's broadband, dial-up is obsolescent technology. Dial-up and DSL in many places is now the same price.

Thanks for all the advice. At this time, the gremlins have decided to go back to massaging the magic crystal (the modem started working again on its own). I do have the phone line on a sure protector as well as a line filter as I get some interference from an AM radio transmission tower sort of nearby.

I tried to get DSL a while back and found that Verizon didn't quite extend to my house (I live smack in the middle of Southern Calif megalopolis, so what's up with that?). Supposedly I can get it now, just been too lazy to check (have a fast connection at work and spend more time online there than home- oops not really boss!). Again, thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom