Rumsfeld

astromeria

Moderator Emeritus
Apparently we won't have Rummy to kick around any more. I guess Bush will anniunce the new Defense Secy at 1:00. DH opines that it'll be Lieberman!!

astromeria said:
Apparently we won't have Rummy to kick around any more.
It's not nice to tease! You happen to have a link for that rumor?

I just saw it too. Good riddance.

Next up: Dirty Dick Cheney?

It's Bob Gates (former CIA chief, current Texas A&M Prez). For some reason, Bush's assurance of his excellence is not reassuring. It's appointments like Rumsfeld, Cheney, and Norton (former Interior secy) that undermine my confidence. And the CIA backgound concerns me in terms of torture, illegal detentions, and so forth.

EDIT If Gates can't be confirmed, Bush is likely to make a recess appointment, doncha think?

BigMoneyJim said:
EDIT: Bush is now saying Rumsfeld's out. Bye!
An early Christmas present-- thanks Nancy Santa!

BigMoneyJim said:
EDIT 2: Bush says Bob Gates is the next choice. Really talking him up. Wonder if the current congress or the new congress gets to approve this appointment?
I guess this'll bring new meaning to the term "military intelligence".

Isn't Congress adjourned now? Wouldn't confirmation have to wait until the next session?

BTW it's interesting to watch Wikipedia lighting up over this--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Gates

astromeria said:
It's Bob Gates (former CIA chief, current Texas A&M Prez). For some reason, Bush's assurance of his excellence is not reassuring. It's appointments like Rumsfeld, Cheney, and Norton (former Interior secy) that undermine my confidence. And the CIA backgound concerns me in terms of torture, illegal detentions, and so forth.

Since I think the days of the imperial presidency are over, this concerns me less than it once did. Although I must admit that I half expected Bush to go on the air and say that the elections are null and void and that the black helicopters are already on the way to scoop up the leaders of the Democratic party, the ACLU, etc.

astromeria said:

Heck, I'm a lot more worried about him being an Aggie! ;)

Adios, mofo. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Wonder if years from now he'll have a teary epiphany/confession about how wrong he was, like McMamara did, the creep.

Nah, not our Rummy.

The pundits and some Generals are saying that Gates is a confidant of Condeleza Rice and James Baker (and he is serving with Baker now on the Iraq Commission). Bush is saying that he (Bush) is obligated to work with Baker. The signal seems to be that we will have a DoD ready to implement the Commission's recommendations. Bush reportedly overruled Cheney on Gates. The same Cheney who brought us Rummy over George Sr's objections. For a guy who never admits a mistake, Bush seems to have just announced, "you were right Dad."

donheff said:
The pundits and some Generals are saying that Gates is a confidant of Condeleza Rice and James Baker (and he is serving with Baker now on the Iraq Commission). Bush is saying that he (Bush) is obligated to work with Baker. The signal seems to be that we will have a DoD ready to implement the Commission's recommendations. Bush reportedly overruled Cheney on Gates. The same Cheney who brought us Rummy over George Sr's objections. For a guy who never admits a mistake, Bush seems to have just announced, "you were right Dad."

I think it is a lot simpler than that: throw rummy under the bus as a peace offering, because the hanging posse just knocked down your front door.

brewer12345 said:
I think it is a lot simpler than that: throw rummy under the bus as a peace offering, because the hanging posse just knocked down your front door.

And we can't forget that the House Armed Services Committee would've asked Rummy to visit.

I'd say it's a day late and a dollar short for the GOP. The House can still subpoena him even after he leaves.

Jeesh, did you see the DOW levitate on that news?

brewer12345 said:
I'll see you, and raise you a dollah: Notice how the change in Defense Secretary has all but booted the big Democratic win out of the news spotlight! Uh...who's your daddy, MSM?

The CATO program from yesterday was interesting ... our structural and operational issues in dealing with Iraq war. Rummy isn't the only manager to change. The Generals in Washington are also a problem with this operation (the capable Generals were driven to the dock).

I hadn't paid any attention to CATO, mainly because I thought they were a mouthpiece of some political group. After finding their website I find that their military and projection of power contributors have good resumes and thoughtful commentary (no opinion in any other area).

http://www.cato.org/

[edited to provide link]

brewer12345 said:
Since I think the days of the imperial presidency are over, this concerns me less than it once did. Although I must admit that I half expected Bush to go on the air and say that the elections are null and void and that the black helicopters are already on the way to scoop up the leaders of the Democratic party, the ACLU, etc.

Ok............now you are wearing a tin foil hat............quit drinking the Kool-Aid Azanon sent you.......... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

FinanceDude said:
Ok............now you are wearing a tin foil hat............quit drinking the Kool-Aid Azanon sent you.......... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Attachments

• Martial-Law-e.jpg
    Martial-Law-e.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Martial-Law-e.jpg_thumb
    25.6 KB · Views: 0
brewer12345 said:
I just saw it too. Good riddance.

Next up: Dirty Dick Cheney?

brewer12345:
Beware, he's rumored to be out hunting. Which means he's armed!! Wont be taken easily. :LOL:

That looks a lot like a silhouette of JFK, but the 1st one........... :D :D

So, why did it take Bush so long to make this move? I think he is clueless, but are his advisors clueless also?

My one thought is that now that he has blown their achievements in the Congress and the Senate the party isn't willing to risk the next Presidential election. I suspect that he has been given marching orders to clean up his mess before the next election season.

Gumby said:
I'd say it's a day late and a dollar short for the GOP. The House can still subpoena him even after he leaves.
Biden said that he talked to Lugar this morning about what he will do if he becomes Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee. He will hold hearings in January about the current situation in Iraq and how we can best get out. He added that questions about the origins of the war, WMDs, and the like can wait until we are no longer at war. Pelosi is also talking about that sort of patience. Other than saying impeachment and defunding the Iraq military operations are off the table, no one is ruling out anything over the long term - yet.

I agree that the Ds won't de-fund the current venture if only for the sake of the troops. It isn't their job to solve Bush's problem.

Maybe Momma Bush (bless her) failed to teach him that now time for him to wear his big-boy pants and take care of his own messes.

Gumby said:

You forgot the smiley. Come on man...............

JG

Back
Top Bottom