Are the political threads more hostile?

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Is it just me or have the political threads suddenly become a lot more hostile? There were plenty of angry rants in past months but the past few days have seemed a bit out of control. Hopefully it is just a little post election catharsis. I value the exchange of ideas and can usually weed through the dick-head stuff to get at the gems but lately... :confused:

Yes, really. It is time for everyone to cool down before good reasonable people start leaving the board.

Well, after reading Martha's post about Glocks and the love fest that followed I may have to withdraw my initial question. By the way, bleeding heart that I am, I also like my guns. I can't keep them at my house in DC, of course, but at my weekend place in Virginia they are mandatory. Unfortunately the one time in fifteen years that someone burgled the joint the only thing they took was a 38 Special and a 22 target rifle. The shotgun was temporarily visiting DC so they didn't get that.

Personally, I am tired of trying to be polite to people who address me as if I am a retarded 7 year old. If you don't think that what I have to say is even worth considering, fine, FU too.

Brewer, I appreciate your frustration, and I almost always agree with your political position, but your delivery has been going over the edge. Please tone it down. :-[

JG, that goes for you to. You have been baiting Brewer just to see him react.

Don't worry, Martha. I have pretty much decided that I don't want to participate in any more political threads, at least for a while. None of us are changing anyone else's opinion, so there is little point.

Unpopular foreign wars have a way of bringing out the hostility in us. I have been a conservative most of my adult life but have been against this war from day 1. Its probably a result of what I witnessed during Viet Nam.

Martha said:
Brewer, I appreciate your frustration, and I almost always agree with your political position, but your delivery has been going over the edge. Please tone it down. :-[

JG, that goes for you to. You have been baiting Brewer just to see him react.
Reminds me of grade school. ;)

brewer12345 said:
Personally, I am tired of trying to be polite to people who address me as if I am a retarded 7 year old.
I try to ignore those people. I respect my political opponents (or try to), but often not their arguments--and seldom their candidates/officeholders. But trash-talk just makes it worse.

astromeria said:
But trash-talk just makes it worse.

Can't seem to resist, since the other side persists in doing the retarded 7 year old thing. So I will leave those threads to the rest of you for a while.

Like my new avatar?

brewer12345 said:
Like my new avatar?
It's too small for these presbyopic eyes (even with my new glasses!). BTW, I've always wondered about the birthday cake, although it kinda fits with the Captain Pie-Hole theme.

astromeria said:
BTW, I've always wondered about the birthday cake, although it kinda fits with the Captain Pie-Hole theme.
The cake is BMJ's award to the person who put up the 100,000th post.

189,870 posts and only 10,130 to go! BMJ, what are you planning for the 200,000th?

Brewer, you grossed us out delighted :p us with your new avatar long enough. Please find something more acceptable--how 'bout a nice brew to go with your cake?

astromeria said:
Brewer, you grossed us out delighted :p us with your new avatar long enough. Please find something more acceptable--how 'bout a nice brew to go with your cake?

I thought the new one (at moderator request) was less unpleasant. Let me see what else I can turn up...

I deleted the big picture version of the old avatar. I don't know if Astro is talking about the most recent one--I can't read it.

Martha said:
I deleted the big picture version of the old avatar. I don't know if Astro is talking about the most recent one--I can't read it.

"Today my BiFi is 2mm shorter than yesterday"

There you go, Martha, a change just for you. Pic of my daughter "helping" me pick strawberries.

brewer12345 said:
There you go, Martha, a change just for you. Pic of my daughter "helping" me pick strawberries.
You call you daughter Cap'n Pie Hole :confused:

donheff said:
Is it just me or have the political threads suddenly become a lot more hostile? There were plenty of angry rants in past months but the past few days have seemed a bit out of control. Hopefully it is just a little post election catharsis. I value the exchange of ideas and can usually weed through the dick-head stuff to get at the gems but lately... :confused:

I don't read the threads on politics but decided to express myself. With all the spitting forums available to rehash over and over and over to exhaustion the attack points and name calling of the elections it seems a pity that this site is going the way of the trashy political sites. But, of course, as long as the titles are indicative of the content, I can just not open them.

Back
Top Bottom