Have you tried,------ Hypnosis??

Sundance Kid

Recycles dryer sheets
Seriously. I have a hand tremor, that is not Parkinsons. I simply cannot write anymore, in a free and easy fashion. I have to get a "death grip" on the pen or pencil and Really Concentrate, on what I'm trying to do, or I cant read my own writing.

I have been to a Neurologist, took medication for one month, doubled the meds, for a second month, with no change. Neurologist said, that's all he could do, unless I wanted to take Botox shots, at $400.00 a pop. FORGET THAT!!

My wife, suggested hypnosis! -- As a possible solution. She thinks I stress out, when trying to write. Yeah, I do, when I realize I have to write something down, or make an entry in the checkbook, or fill out a form of some type, or sign my name. Signing my name, takes a full 30 seconds; if I want it to look decent. It's embarrassing and makes me look stupid.

So, I'm posting here, to get your thoughts. Geez, you answer every other question put forth on this board. :D So, I thought I'd give it a shot. I'd appreciate any and all comments. Oh yeah, I'm 66 years old and health is pretty darn good, otherwise!

I don't mean to make light of your problem, but I've always used just a scribble for a signature anyway. Once or twice in the last 40 years someone has questioned the signature, but eventually backed down. I've never been able to read my handwriting if it was older than a week or two (fresh enough to trigger my brain into remembering what I wrote). Luckly, I took typing in high school (probably the most valuable high school course I ever took), and I've made do with typewriters and computers ever since, when it was important to write it so someone else could read it. I've had a handwriting expert tell me to ease up, so hypnosis might be a solution. I'd give it a shot . . . not much downside that I can see.

Rich in Tampa:

Yeah, essential tremor or "shaking hand syndrome," is what he called it.

Sundance Kid said:
Yeah, essential tremor or "shaking hand syndrome," is what he called it.
I can think of at least 3 separate types of medicine that benefit that condition. None involve botox. You may be missing options that are widely used. See what your internist has to say. I treat this condition regularly in my practice, as do many others. You have not exhausted the possibilities by any means.

Interesting side-story here: most patients with essential tremor get noticeable relief for an hour or two from alcohol, even just a glass or two. That can be a slippery slope for some folks who find themselves drinking -- a lot. Ironically, when the alcohol leaves their system and their tremor comes back, some then blame the tremor on too much drinking. Can't catch a break either way, I guess.

Rich in Tampa:

Sorry, I can't do the quote thingy! But, you're right. Alcohol does relieve the symptoms. I've been a recovering alcoholic, since about 1989. Been totally sober,
from then until now. I've started drinking again, because I think I can handle it and I don't do it to excess. I'm not going down that road again, that I was on before!!

When I drink, --My handwriting improves!!

What medications, do you recommend, to discuss with my Doctor?

I appreciate your response!

Sundance Kid said:
you're right. Alcohol does relieve the symptoms...When I drink, --My handwriting improves!!

What medications, do you recommend, to discuss with my Doctor?

He or she'll know ;).

BTW, nice work, 16 years of recovery.

Scott Adams (Dilbert) has blogged about many problems with his drawing hand and his voice. He's found medical solutions to the voice syndrome but I don't know how he's doing on his hand.

It's hard not to wonder if he has some sort of cartoonist's-block problem...

Years ago when I was a psychology student I learned to hypnotize myself. Early in my law practice I used to get very nervous about going to court. I would do self hypnosis ahead of time, telling myself that I knew my case, my client was in the right, and I would be calm, collected and competent. It was very effective as a relaxation tool. :)

Unrelated to tremor, people take beta blockers for stage fright. I've treated occasional performers, litigators and others in a "must win" scenario with them if they understand the risks and benefits. Last one was a harpist who had a big solo with the symphony. It went well. I got tickets out of the deal.

While not for regular use, they sometimes work dramatically to prevent the red face, pounding heart, sense of panic, shakiness, etc.

Back
Top Bottom