help me spend money

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
I have been living on less than my small pension.

I have some ideas on things to buy.

Help me find these things.
--------------
The computer desk is at one end of the living/dining area (L-shaped), in a section 8' by 8' by 8'.

I want to make this into cube/TV/computer area.
--------------
I need:

a monitor/TV picture-in-picture/side-by-side?

a way to get the cable TV input across the room and around the corner (TV and cable connection is currently 20' away from computer and phone line)

a chair/recliner

a computer desk/reading/writing area with shelves/drawers

a chair mat for the rug

some sort of four wall curtains (for winter) (to stop above the baseboard heat) and which can be mostly taken down (and washed) during summer

Borrow a woman for a day. She will love arrannging your room, and helping you spend some money. Take her to a truly nice restaurant.

You may enjoy it too.

Ha

On the chair... Take yourself to a store and sit a spell. Comfort and support are essential and this should not be a quickly picked out item. All bodies have different needs. Many of the office furniture lines have multi way adjust chairs for support and you can adjust thru the day. They will also have the plastic chair mats, I suggest the larger size there. I will defer to the techies on the computer viewing & hook-ups.

For the walls, you might want to look at quilts, rugs or blankets. Here in the Southwest we have a lot of Mexican and Native American textiles which look great on a wall and are not too pricey.

Travel?? Any place that you always dreamed of visiting? Paris, Jerusalem -- OK, how about Washington, D.C. . . .

Kramer

Khan said:
Help me find these things.
If this is DIY for the pleasure of executing your own home improvements, start with the media room consultants. I know you're not designing a movie theater but they'll help you tap into the electronics... especially a 54" LCD monitor!

If you're spending money to get it done by professionals then find a high-end home furnishings store. (In Hawaii it's the C.S. Wo family business.) They have a personal shopper who'll take your desires & specs, develop them into a plan, and make it happen... for a suitable fee of course.

The Westinghouse 42" 1080p LVM-42W2 LCD monitor can be found for quite a bargain price these days...if you're looking for something that large. It doesn't have a tuner built in, but you probably have a cable box anyway. It has all the connectors you'll need for use with your PC (analog or digital), old DVD player, new DVD player, and cable/satellite/TIVO box. If you don't want a monitor that big, they've got 32" and 37" models also. I haven't bought one yet, but I will as soon as the new family room furniture arrives.

Glad to help. Please send everything that you would like me to spend to PO Box 123, Houston, Texas 77098. :D

Too complicated...All you really need is the recliner, one where your elbows, heels and neck are supported (I have alot of experience here). A laptop and the TV across the room... there you're done ;)

Instead of curtains that you would take down once a year, how about those honey comb shades? You can get them with a lining that totally blocks the light or you can get ones that just filter the light. You can just pull them up when you don't need them. Another possibility would be roman shades if you like the look of cloth.

Martha said:
Instead of curtains that you would take down once a year, how about those honey comb shades? You can get them with a lining that totally blocks the light or you can get ones that just filter the light. You can just pull them up when you don't need them. Another possibility would be roman shades if you like the look of cloth.

The whole idea is to have something that can be taken to the laudromat and stuffed into the super-duper machine.

Past history indicates blinds will not be cleaned.

I want the feeling of my own little tent/cave.

JC Penney has a number of washable curtains that aren't too pricey.

For example: http://tinyurl.com/yyatbk

On the other furniture, what kind of style do you like? There is always www.potterybarn.com and www.roomandboard.com to look for ideas. Probably more money than you need to spend. If you want to go less expensive, there is Ikea for cabinets and shelves. I wouldn't get a recliner from Ikea though. www.ikea.com

Martha said:
JC Penney has a number of washable curtains that aren't too pricey.

For example: http://tinyurl.com/yyatbk

On the other furniture, what kind of style do you like? There is always www.potterybarn.com and www.roomandboard.com to look for ideas. Probably more money than you need to spend. If you want to go less expensive, there is Ikea for cabinets and shelves. I wouldn't get a recliner from Ikea though. www.ikea.com

Thank you.

I didn't know where to start looking.

Once you look a little, tell us what type of stuff you like and we might have more ideas. I love decorating. :)

Martha said:
We've had those for years (some are 17 years old) and we're getting rid of the curtains. Actually we're getting rid of the curtains already-- our bunny thinks they're yummy.

Khan said:
Past history indicates blinds will not be cleaned.
Ruh-roh-- you have to clean honeycomb blinds & roman shades?

Back
Top Bottom