Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   What age constitutes retiring early? (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/what-age-constitutes-retiring-early-24310.html)

JustCurious 11-30-2006 10:29 PM

What age constitutes retiring early?

Is there a consensus on this question?

73ss454 11-30-2006 10:32 PM

Re: What age constitutes retiring early?

Well in 12 hours and 26 minutes I'll be retired at 57. So I hope that 57 counts.

crazy connie 12-01-2006 06:40 AM

My guess would be at any time you chose it to be, but probably before SS eligibility. For me it was only a few weeks after my 50th B'day.

maddythebeagle 12-01-2006 06:54 AM

there was a thread a few weeks back on this.....that was quite good....normal retirement for a government worker with a pension and health care might be 55, and earlier for a police officer...I think it is going earlier than others in your peer group as others have pointed out.

edit: Rew added the link...below thanks.

REWahoo 12-01-2006 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustCurious
Is there a consensus on this question?

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=9945.0

Meadbh 12-01-2006 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddy the Turbo Beagle
there was a thread a few weeks back on this.....that was quite good....normal retirement for a government worker with a pension and health care might be 55, and earlier for a police officer...I think it is going earlier than others in your peer group as others have pointed out.

I agree. I am a university prof and "retirement age" is considered to be 65. One can take "early retirement" anytime from 55 on (when I hit 55, I'm outta here!).

Goonie 12-01-2006 09:05 AM

I think the youngest early retirement age is whenever one can "Just Do It" ;D

Though for me, the youngest age would be 50.....which is the day I will FIRE!!! Only 126 days to go!!!

I'm participating in an Early Retirement Incentive that allows me to jump out at 50, with FULL DB pension with COLA, and full ins (I have to pay 25% of monthly ins premium...$123 for me)

HOORAY, for RE!!! ;D

Bikerdude 12-01-2006 01:10 PM

Hopefully prior to being permanently retired. :-\

Cb 12-01-2006 01:22 PM

Earlier than your brother-in-law. :P

Cb

Corporateburnout 12-01-2006 05:26 PM

Earlier than 62. For me between 57 and 59 I hope...........

tryan 12-01-2006 05:54 PM

Anyone who retires before YOU! ;D

retire@40 12-01-2006 06:22 PM

It's a personal definition, for sure. Although, I think few people would consider 62 or later as early.

When I first thought of early retirement for myself many moons ago, it meant age 50.

Now I get the heebie-jeebies if I think that I will be working at age 50. I currently define early as 40 or younger, although I could stretch that to 42 max in semi-retirement mode.

Martha 12-01-2006 06:31 PM

51 seems obscenely early to me--we still have lawyers working fulltime after the age of 70. A few years ago our oldest lawyer died in his late 90s and he was still coming into the office up to a few weeks before he died. Suit and tie and all.

So it depends.

I do have some problem with saying someone very young who is FI and not working is "retired." I think you have to pay a certain amount of dues in the form of work to earn the retired moniker. But I am not quite sure where I would draw the line. But I can't imagine calling anyone in his 20s retired or even someone in their early 30s.

REWahoo 12-01-2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha
I think you have to pay a certain amount of dues in the form of work to earn the retired moniker.

Are you saying you must first be "tired" before you can be "retired"?

free4now 12-01-2006 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha
I do have some problem with saying someone very young who is FI and not working is "retired." I think you have to pay a certain amount of dues in the form of work to earn the retired moniker. But I am not quite sure where I would draw the line. But I can't imagine calling anyone in his 20s retired or even someone in their early 30s.

Yep, at 36 years old I'm FIRE but can't really bring myself to say I'm retired. While I did earn my money, I was also quite lucky to have to opportunity, and don't feel like I've "earned" it the old fashioned way.

sgeeeee 12-01-2006 07:40 PM

Early schmearly. Who cares?

People don't even agree on what constitutes retirement. :) :)

JustCurious 12-01-2006 09:51 PM

I must say I am very surpised at how many people so far (22 percent) think that the age of 50 is too old to qualify as early retirement!

Close to half of the voters selected either 55 or 60 so far. This is the age range that I expected to be the most popular answer, but I expected the margin to be greater.

JustCurious 12-01-2006 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Early schmearly. Who cares?

If you don't care about early retirement, why do you participate in a board called "the early retirement forum?"

sgeeeee 12-01-2006 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustCurious
If you don't care about early retirement, why do you participate in a board called "the early retirement forum?"

I'm interested in issues related to retirement. I just don't see how placing a label of "early retirement" changes much. You can call it "stock picking monkey retirement" if you want. You still have to source income, pay for insurance, deal with taxes, think about wills and inheritance, answer the questions about what you do all day, . . . :) :D ;D

I don't know what "early" is, but I don't really see why it matters. :)

JustCurious 12-02-2006 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgeeeee
I'm interested in issues related to retirement. I just don't see how placing a label of "early retirement" changes much. You can call it "stock picking monkey retirement" if you want. You still have to source income, pay for insurance, deal with taxes, think about wills and inheritance, answer the questions about what you do all day, . . . :) :D ;D

I don't know what "early" is, but I don't really see why it matters. :)

If what you say is true, then this forum would be called the "retirement forum." But it's not. It's called the "early retirement forum." The word "early" must have some significance, otherwise it is simply superfluous, and I don't think it is. A significant amount of the discussions on this forum relate to the "early" part, at least as much as the "retirement" part.