Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Health and Early Retirement (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/)
-   -   Crazy Old Man (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/crazy-old-man-24494.html)

slepyhed 12-12-2006 09:58 AM

Crazy Old Man

Do men go slowly insane starting around age 50 and go downhill from there? Is there a name for this phenomenon? Are there any good websites to observe this behaviour? Because it seems to happen frequently and I'm fascinated by it.

The craziness takes many forms. In fact, it can take any form. The common themes I see are closed-mindedness, fixation and some kind of desire to change things and/or bitter resentment towards the way things are. In most cases that come to my mind, this "Crazy Old Man Attitude" usually does not lead to real action.

Open the paper and look at the letters to the editor - the best ones are written by crazy old men.

Stop into the coffee shop at 9 am on a tuesday - you might spot a gathering of old cranks sitting around complaining.

I'm wondering if I should plan on going crazy when I get older? Of course I won't realize what I've become - because I'll just be muttering about how "This Country has gone downhill!" BTW, I'm planning on retiring to a different country, but I won't let that stop me.

Maybe I'm halfway there already. I ought to teach my wife to re-balance the portfolio so that if I loose grip with reality, at least there will be money comming in for food and heat.

Does anyone have any examples of old men who didn't become unhinged in late life?

Martha 12-12-2006 10:20 AM

Re: Crazy Old Man

Embrace the curmudgeon. Resistance is futile.

MasterBlaster 12-12-2006 10:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Do men go slowly insane starting around age 50 and go downhill from there ?
Well yes they do show their life experience...Crazy/downhill ? - Well I wouldn't call it that. I would call it seasoned !

Quote:

The common themes I see are closed-mindedness, fixation and some kind of desire to change things and/or bitter resentment towards the way things are.
Well yes... Are you suggesting that this is a bad thing ?

The way I see it is that older guys overcome youth with it's persistance/enthusiasm by using cynicism and grumpyness.

TromboneAl 12-12-2006 10:27 AM

What a lot of crap! Just bullshit like everything else in this stupid country!

Rich_by_the_Bay 12-12-2006 10:28 AM

It's posts like this that really get me riled up. In my day, we'd never post craplike that. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can see that noboday gives a sh#% any more. God d&*@ kids think they can run the nation. Ain't gonna convince me. Everyone's a comedian. Well let me tell you something, wise-guy...

Huh? What's that? Oh - yeah. Coming dear...

I gotta go.

TromboneAl 12-12-2006 10:29 AM

I beat you to it, Rich.

slepyhed 12-12-2006 10:39 AM

You guys crack me up. Thanks! I needed it.
;D

Rich_by_the_Bay 12-12-2006 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I beat you to it, Rich.

As usual, you miserable #$%^. ;)

Andre1969 12-12-2006 11:20 AM

One of these days you're going to hear one gigantic flush. And that's gonna be the good old U S of A goin' down the terlet. ;D

REWahoo 12-12-2006 11:30 AM

Nothing drives me up the wall like a bunch of old curmudgeons complaining about every damn thing under the sun and whining about the country going to Hell in a hand basket! Why don't you old b*****ds cut our your grousing and try looking on the f***ing bright side for a change!!! Cheer up, dammit!

Sheesh... :-\

slepyhed 12-12-2006 11:46 AM

In my house (I pay the mortgage, so I make the rules!!!), we have a simple rule:

If you have a complaint, you must do something about it. Not just jibber-jabber. Action!

If my plan backfires, I'll end up with a house full of politicians...

MikeD 12-12-2006 11:51 AM

I grew up in the country. About a mile from our house was a gas station that I hung around and did odd jobs. When I was about 15 or 16 an old man, about 85 or 90 would often stop by and shoot the breeze. A frequent refrain of his was all about how Hoover had ruined the country. He would explain in careful detail to us all the bad things Hoover had done. I thought it was interesting but was more concerned about the Viet Nam war.

Mike D.

MasterBlaster 12-12-2006 11:55 AM

So it was Hoover...

I was a wonderin' bout that. So now I know. Thanks for setting me straight !

You should've asked him for tips to meet chicks !

ladelfina 12-12-2006 12:42 PM

Hey you kids geddoff my lawn!!

I dunno, I think I've met a few older guys who aren't curmudgeonly (and a few younger ones who are).

Maybe it has to do with men, in particular, aging and feeling increasingly less powerful? They no longer have the world by the tail. Old ladies can get batty, but maybe they are less likely to be true cranks since they mostly never had the same power issues/hangups/preconceptions to begin with.

Remember SNL and Dana Carvey's Grumpy Old Man?
".. that's the way it was, and we LIKED it!!"

ladelfina 12-12-2006 12:45 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Grumpy Old Man: I'm oooooold! And I'm not happy! And I don't like things now compared to the way they used to be. All this progress -- phooey! In my day, we didn't have these cash machines that would give you money when you needed it. There was only one bank in each state -- it was open only one hour a year. And you'd get in line, seventeen miles long, and the line became an angry mob of people -- fornicators and thieves, mutant children and circus freaks -- and you waited for years and by the time you got to the teller, you were senile and arthritic and you couldn't remember your own name. You were born, got in line, and ya died! And that's the way it was and we liked it!

Life was simpler then. There wasn't all this concern about hy-giene! It my days, we didn't have Kleenex. When you turned seventeen, you were given the family handkerchief. ... It hadn't been washed in generations and it stood on its own ... filled with diseases and swarmin' with flies. ... If you tried to blow your nose, you'd get an infection and your head would swell up and turn green and children would burst into tears at the sight o' ya! And that's the way it was and we liked it!

Life was a carnival! We entertained ourselves! We didn't need moooovin' pitchurrrres. In my day, there was only one show in town -- it was called "Stare at the sun!" ... That's right! You'd sit in the middle of an open field and stare up at the sun till your eyeballs burst into flames! And you thought, "Oh, no! Maybe I shouldn't've stared directly into the burning sun with my eyes wide open." But it was too late! Your head was on fire and people were roastin' chickens over it. ... And that's the way it was and we liked it!

Progress?! Flobble-de-flee! In my day, when we were angry and frustrated, we just said, "Flobble-de-flee!" 'cause we were idiots and we didn't know what else to say! Just a bunch o' illiterate Cro-Magnons, blowin' on crusty handkerchiefs, waitin' in lines for our head to burst into flame and that's the way it was and we liked it! "

HFWR 12-12-2006 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
So it was Hoover...

Was not!!

Nords 12-12-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slepyhed
The craziness takes many forms. In fact, it can take any form. The common themes I see are closed-mindedness, fixation and some kind of desire to change things and/or bitter resentment towards the way things are. In most cases that come to my mind, this "Crazy Old Man Attitude" usually does not lead to real action.
Open the paper and look at the letters to the editor - the best ones are written by crazy old men.
Stop into the coffee shop at 9 am on a tuesday - you might spot a gathering of old cranks sitting around complaining.
I'm wondering if I should plan on going crazy when I get older? Of course I won't realize what I've become - because I'll just be muttering about how "This Country has gone downhill!" BTW, I'm planning on retiring to a different country, but I won't let that stop me.

I'm not so sure that it's a gender-specific phenomenon-- I'd be happy to introduce all of these guys to my mother in law.

Elderhostels must be a never-ending party!

Lazarus 12-12-2006 05:10 PM

Well I am 49, I plan to go crazy sometime in August next year. Don't try and stop me I have earned it! :laugh:

Caroline 12-12-2006 06:00 PM

ladelfina, I can barely type this through the tears rolling down my cheeks.

that's a real TALENT you've got there! If you ever need another j...j...job...

farmerEd 12-12-2006 07:20 PM

Quote:

..All I know is that before I die I'm gonna get my gun and kill me some liberals....

An actual quote from a crazy old man I am related to.... :)