Problems with Resume from Standby

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have one remaining problem with my new laptop (Dell E1505):

About 20% of the time, when I resume from standby, the fan comes on and stays on, and the computer is exceedingly slow until I reboot.

Standby is great because the compute can sit there and take only 1-2 watts and yet be available almost instantly. I've googled newsgroups and haven't had any luck yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Check the Dell web site to see if you need to update any of the software, BIOS, etc.

You did buy a retooled model no??

I always am concerned with those types.

I had that issue with an old emachine laptop, I tried all kinds of things it was just slow.

Fan ran forever.

Get Dell on the phone and if you still have trouble get them to replace with a new machine and send that bad boy back!

TromboneAl said:
About 20% of the time, when I resume from standby, the fan comes on and stays on, and the computer is exceedingly slow until I reboot.

Generally, the fan will come on because the CPU is running hot, which means some task is stuck in a loop. Take a look at task manager when it happens to identify the stuck task, and then kill it.

Al.. I read this as "résumé".. and though you might be looking for w*rk!!

Whew!

(I don't know anything about PCs -I'm a mac person-but wab's assessment seems sound.. it's chewing on something.)

It's the System Idle Process that's using the most cycles, and the CPU is usage is low (under 10%). The room was about 60 degrees this morning when it happened.

To update you, in case anyone has a related problem, I seem to have fixed this. Updating the BIOS and setting a resume-related BIOS setting back to default did the trick. Thanks for your help.

Congratulations O Enlightened One! As someone who has successfully updated their BIOS, you are now qualified required to answer all computer-related questions posted in this forum. With just 3 more correct answers, you can move to the next level: CFO at Dell.

Back
Top Bottom