Wireless speakers?

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
New Years party at Chez Nous next Sunday, and I wanted to get some sound into the 4 corners of the house.

Hard wiring is out of the question for a bunch of reasons, but I did see some small speakers at Brookstone which have a plug-in transmitter. You pipe from your iPod/computer/sterio into the transmitter, and then you can place the speakers anywhere you want within 150'. They recharge or you can plug them in, separate volume control and basic bass control on each speaker.

It was very hard to judge the sound quality in the busy store, but it sounded adequate, at least as background music. $150 or so for a 2-speaker setup. Anyone used these? Any advice?

Do you have a specific product in mind? I used to have one that included a remote amp, and the sound was fine. One of the things you need to watch for is the frequency used, and make sure it doesn't conflict with other wireless devices in your house.

wab said:
Do you have a specific product in mind? I used to have one that included a remote amp, and the sound was fine. One of the things you need to watch for is the frequency used, and make sure it doesn't conflict with other wireless devices in your house.
The Brookstone one was the only one I heard. Bose has a full house system which includes wireless, but it is part of a much more ambitious sound system than I had in mind for this time around.

BTW, the Bose system seems awesome. Whole house, concert quality, wireless but very pricey. Maybe when we downsize...

If you're already using digital source material, you might also consider keeping the whole chain digital. We use a laptop in the kitchen that pulls MP3's from another server in the house over WiFi. There are also dedicated WiFi MP3 boxes that do this as well.

Back
Top Bottom