Wisconsin Weather -why do I stay here

rjk514

Recycles dryer sheets
:'( Its cold and gray all the time..I need to get out ASAP...
Anyone else on these boards living, (existing) in the cheesehead
state..:confused:? If possible could someone send me some sunshine and
warm weather..Thanks rjk :-*

rjk514 said:
21 years in Milwaukee then Madison. Loved both cities. Never complained about the weather, even enjoyed the snow briefly each year.

Got a job in Tucson. After two years when I looked back the only thing I could say was "What was I thinking all those years!?" And I really do and did love Wisconsin.

DW felt the same way and we committed to see out the rest of our active days in warmer climes, though you never know. I know, each to their own, but it's more credible once you've truly lived in both environments.

That said, there are quite a few factors more important than weather in terms of quality of life. But it is a big one.

Have stayed in Az,Fla,SC,Al,Ky...Have found Az to be the best...Plan on being a snowbird starting in 2008 if all goes well...see ya at the golf
course....this is all assuming my brain thaws out after this winter here
in Wisconsin...Rock on... 8)

rjk514 said:
Have stayed in Az,Fla,SC,Al,Ky...Have found Az to be the best...Plan on being a snowbird starting in 2008 if all goes well...see ya at the golf
course....this is all assuming my brain thaws out after this winter here
in Wisconsin...Rock on... 8)

Having just returned from AZ, my preference is Fla. Not enough water in AZ. to fish. It's the only place I've ever been where the rivers do not have water in them! :confused:

Also a little too cool in winter and wayyyy to hot in the summer. I lived in Florida for 3 years. But the advantage of being a snowbird is that you get to choose every year! 8)

I have no rational explanation for it, but when I was a kid I wanted to live in Wisconsin. Part of it may have been "Happy Days," though. I remember Mrs. Cunningham saying that it was time to explain to the kids about the birds and the bees and Mr. Cunningham replies "This is Milwaukee, Marian. The birds and the bees are only out 3 months of the year!".

I was afraid of bees when I was a little kid, so that might have been part of the allure. :D

Cut-Throat said:
Having just returned from AZ, my preference is Fla. Not enough water in AZ. to fish. It's the only place I've ever been where the rivers do not have water in them! :confused:

Also a little too cool in winter and wayyyy to hot in the summer. I lived in Florida for 3 years. But the advantage of being a snowbird is that you get to choose every year! 8)

Lived in both places and loved them both. Az has a lock on scenery, exotic landscape etc. But we give an edge to Florida for the greenery, the welcome rain, and the lack of parching dryness. Both places let you live without regard to the weather most of the time. Fla is socially more diverse and complex, which we enjoy. And we really love the beach being so close.

Two great places to live.

I live in Minnesota so that there is an upside to global warming :D

rjk514 said:

Hey, the ice fishing is better in Wisconsin than AZ, HI or most of the places mentioned.

It is dark and dreary here today and I don't feel like getting off the couch. Yesterday we had maybe 3 inches of snow so I at least got out to clear the snow, which woke me up. I am ready for some sun.

Today I am giving a piano lesson so I at least have to get dressed and pick up the house a bit.

Winter saps my motivation.

Oh, you're not alone. It's pretty dark and gloomy here in beautiful MN these past few days, but check the forecast....tons of high pressure moving in. You'll be sunny in a couple days! Of course that will just be in time for the next wave of dark and gloomy to move in. But hey, it's home. That's why we are here.

I was also down in AZ for a couple days last week. It is pretty nice down there. We've vacationed there many times and I'm always amazed at how beautiful it is. Of course, I've never been there in the Summer. No plans for that either!

:D The mist and fog is beginning to lift here @ 11:00 am. so
am considering venturing out for a walk to the video store to
get a few more movies to watch while we wait for the next
winter storm (snow/rain/sleet,ice) or whatever is in store for us
poor saps here in the Appleton area...best go now before the
freezing wind picks up..rjk out

Methinks you might have SAD.....think about buying a lightbox!

rjk514 said:

I live in Milwaukee.......you're complaining about 42 degrees on almost the last day of the year? Usually it's 0 degrees........ :LOL: :LOL:

My sympathies! I lived in Ohio for many years and it was always gloomy. Now in Colorado we have many many days of sunshine, dispite the extreme weather lately, which could be deal breaker for a lot of people. I wonder, as a result of global warming, if this extreme weather may become the new "norm." :eek:
If that is true, then sunny, warm climates may also begin to experience extreme weather in the form of disastrous heat and drought.

Maybe staying in Wisconsin isn't a bad idea after all?

Possible answers to your question:

No earthquakes
No hurricanes
No scorpions:)
More sunshine than half the nation.

yakers said:
Hey, the ice fishing is better in Wisconsin than AZ, HI or most of the places mentioned.

But,-- doesn't it take a long time to cut a hole big enough for a boat? :D

Just returned from the Bay Area, CA. The weather was cool (in the 50s during the day). The food was great. I still live in Minnesota because of its good school system, reasonably affordable housing, job availability, and tolerable traffic, even though the weather/climate is sub par.

Cut-Throat said:
We're leaving again in Feb for the Bahamas! 8)

I hope you have a passport. You used to be able to travel to the caribbean without one, but no longer.

JustCurious said:
I hope you have a passport. You used to be able to travel to the caribbean without one, but no longer.

Yup I've maintained a passport for over 30 years. 8)

Great News, the sun came out yesterday for a few hours and I managed to
get a quick walk in to enjoy it, and better yet--the weatherman said there
is a good chance it might come out again on March 17th..
I guess I'm walking in high cotten here in WI. with all this sunshine 8)

Unfortunately, WV gets a lot of gloomy overcast days.

Martha, I am impressed that you give piano lessons. You truly are a jill of a lot of trades.

Back
Top Bottom