My 2007 RE-solution

genghis

Recycles dryer sheets
As with most newbies, I've spent alot of time reading the (mostly) insightful comments on this board over the past few months and finally decided to stop lurking and take the time to contribute my intro.

As I think back on my life, I have vivid memories of high school study hall, where I continuously worked out scenarios by which I could be FI asap. These scenarios always included living in tents, trailers, lean-to's, etc - whatever it took to not have to be tied to a 40 hr/wk job. I found those scenarios work better if you never really seriously consider having a wife and family!

Fast forward - 2 college degrees (EE and MBA), 3 kids (11, 9 and 5), two houses, 3 cars, 1 wife, and 26 (or so) years later and I still find myself working the scenarios. The updated version doesn't usually include a trailer or a lean-to, but if things don't work out as planned.......they may re-emerge (along with the cat food for dinner)

As a 22 year employee of MegaCorp, I have done pretty well (by their standards). Several promotions, a nice salary, etc - all despite the fact that all I can ever really concentrate on is not having to be here! I just can't take any more worthless staff meetings, office politics, brown nosers, company men, HR, management that doesn't really care about people, performance reviews, ethics training, stress, anxiety, traffic, aaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhh!!!!

My 2007 resolution is to RE by this June. The calculations tell me that we should be fine financially - my main hurdle is my emotional resolve (read: FEAR). I fear I've been brainwashed by my 22 years of indentured service to the point they have me afraid to quit. But Bob Clyatt's book (Work Less, Live More) holds a prominent place on my nightstand and every now and then, in the middle of an anxiety filled night, I reach for it and read some reassuring words that reassure me I can pull this off (hopefully he didn't write it as a cruel practical joke!).

So - thanks for all the inspiration - I'm sure I'll continue to lurk on a daily basis to help relieve my disdain for the corporate world as I look forward to the day I can read a Dilbert cartoon, and not get it!

I just can't take any more worthless staff meetings, office politics, brown nosers, company men, HR, management that doesn't really care about people, performance reviews, ethics training, stress, anxiety, traffic, aaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhh!!!!

Pretty much sums up why I got off the treadmill, too much BS that a person just gets sick of after 30 years. Oh well, back to Imus in the Morning and my coffee.

Welcome to the board, Genghis.

Based on our experience, I think you have more to fear from your budding teenagers than from your ER portfolio... but now you'll have the time to be there for them.

Great resolution - this will be and exciting time for you -

You could put my name on your post this time last year and I resigned 6/30/06. It is not easy to walk away from a high paying job. But, if you have enough - it is time to start enjoying your life and family...now. Don't save another pile of money while giving up your life!

Welcome -

Nords said:
Welcome to the board, Genghis.

Based on our experience, I think you have more to fear from your budding teenagers than from your ER portfolio... but now you'll have the time to be there for them.

Not looking forward to that aspect of the teenage years! I'm hoping that by not working, I'll have more time and energy to be a more active parent and maybe head off some of those issues - but maybe I'm just dreaming.

Here are the basics of our investment portfolio holdings, for those interested -
19% Bond Funds
9.5% VFSTX
9.5% VBMFX

11% Cash
Money Markets and CD's - intent is to have 3 years in cash to glide through market slumps

70% Stocks
8.75% VTGLX
8.75% VVIAX
8.75% VTMSX
8.75% VISVX

7% VTMGX
7% VTRIX
7% RISIX
7% ARTKX
7% VEMAX

genghis said:
My 2007 resolution is to RE by this June. The calculations tell me that we should be fine financially - my main hurdle is my emotional resolve (read: FEAR). I fear I've been brainwashed by my 22 years of indentured service to the point they have me afraid to quit. But Bob Clyatt's book (Work Less, Live More) holds a prominent place on my nightstand and every now and then, in the middle of an anxiety filled night, I reach for it and read some reassuring words that reassure me I can pull this off (hopefully he didn't write it as a cruel practical joke!).

Genghis,
Welcome in from the lurker team...
Glad you've found the book useful and appreciate the "nightstand status". and I think many of us here know what the night-time heebie-jeebies are like so I'm glad you can find some reassurance there. No it wasn't written as a cruel practical joke :D I'm still happily living everything I wrote in there 6 years into ER with no regrets and no course-changes (beyond ditching the part time career work entirely in favor of newfound hobbies-turned-modestly-cash-positive -- something made possible by the last 4 years of buoyant market returns...)

if you are afraid of not finding something to do, a lot of non-profits look for good board members who have time, experience and a little $ on their hands...or you could even consider a position in a non-profit but negotiate part time hours since they prob can't pay you what you earned in corp. :D :D :D tend to be a little more meaning, still chaotic, but usually good company and different goals.

Back
Top Bottom