It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
6'6", 250 lbs. I want to drop to 225 to see how I look.
Has anyone tried Weight Watchers?

My BMI is 23.9 which according to the scale is "normal weight" - but pushing near the high end of the scale. I still feel about 10# overweight...put on 3-4# just over Christmas vacation. Yikes!

I have tried weight watchers in the past - very helpful in teaching you how to change your lifestyle pattern of eating. In general I don't lose weight unless I weigh and measure everything I eat for a while. Have a problem with portion control! I really need to get out the old measuring cups and the calorie table. Uggh. Only this kind of pure discipline works for me.

Oh, and we did go on a semi-vegetarian diet once to try and lower DH's cholesterol. Followed "Fat Free, Flavor Full" by Gabe Mirkin (from the library). We stayed on it about 2 months and in that time I lost 10 pounds and felt so healthy. Unfortunately, DH didn't get himself back in for a cholesterol re-check (too busy with w*rk). It's a really strict diet, so we couldn't do it long term, but did learn quite a bit about healthy food choices and cooking. We need to get out some of those recipes again!

xprinter said:
I have trouble keeping to a low carb diet as I love fruits and whole grains.

i don't entirely buy into the low carbohydrate diet. i know i tire quickly during exercise if i haven't had enough carbs. the trick is the right carbs & in the right amounts. while fruit is also one of my problems, i don't think it has to do so much with calories or carbs. i think the problem is the sugar, which as windsurf notes, causes insulin resistance and so prevents muscle from utilizing existing stores of fat even during exercise.

i can see how sugar effects my body immediately. i'm ok if i have two mallomar cookies. but if i have two more the arthritis in my foot acts up before i finish washing them down with skim milk.

and since sugar prevents muscles from burning fat, i never eat mallomars before my workout, only after. :D

lazygood4nothinbum said:
i don't entirely buy into the low carbohydrate diet. i know i tire quickly during exercise if i haven't had enough carbs. the trick is the right carbs & in the right amounts. while fruit is also one of my problems, i don't think it has to do so much with calories or carbs. i think the problem is the sugar, which as windsurf notes, causes insulin resistance and so prevents muscle from utilizing existing stores of fat even during exercise.

Sugar is evil, it damages every system in the body (highly refined grains are just as bad).

lazygood4nothinbum said:
i don't entirely buy into the low carbohydrate diet.

Yeah, it's amazing how controversial the relationship between diet and health is. You'd think we'd understand this stuff by now.

Carbs aren't bad for you per se, but the high-GI/GL carbs *seem* to cause both an immediate insulin spike and *may* contribute to insulin resistance over time. Most fruits should be OK, since the sugars are bound up in a fibrous matrix that slows the availability.

Your muscles store enough glycogen for you to exercise *hard* for something like 90 minutes, so for the typical 30-minutes of moderate exercise that most of us do, there's no need to either carbo-load or replenish burned glycogen with a carb drink.

The only macronutrient your body can't store is alcohol, so I guess having a couple of drinks would postpone the burning of glycogen and fat for a while....

wab said:
The only macronutrient your body can't store is alcohol,

My body stores alcohol as memories. :)

Ha

sign outside bar: if you drink to forget, pay first.

hey wab. what about nuts? good or bad? i usually keep a bowl of walnuts & raisins about. also i totally love pistachios and often also have cashews & pecans (the latter especially as a crunchy topping on sweet potato, yum)

Bimmerbill said:
6'6", 250 lbs. I want to drop to 225 to see how I look.
Has anyone tried Weight Watchers?

6'2" male, age 52, was 210# when blood pressure showed marginal for first time ever. Next month WW started at work, so I said "why not". This was about 4 years ago. I had never been on any sort of diet before so I can't compare, but what I liked about WW is that really is about portion sizes, writing down what you eat and tracking it to lose weight gradually and permanently changing exercise and eating habits. After 6 months I was down to 170# so I stopped journalling or attending the weekly sessions at work. Now whenever my weight gets to 175# I will write down everything ("journalling" in WW terminology) until I get back to 170. This happens about 2 or 3 times a year. So, WW works for me even "unofficially"

BTW, a year later at my annual physical I was staggered at how much my blood pressure, Cholestorol, Triglycerides had improved. Lasy year my doc said "Do you know your resting heart rate is in the 40's?"). So continue to watch portion sizes, and exercise regularly. Even go the exercise classes at the gymn with all the women, and believe me, kick-box aerobitics is a helluva workout :eek:

lazygood4nothinbum said:
sign outside bar: if you drink to forget, pay first.

hey wab. what about nuts? good or bad? i usually keep a bowl of walnuts & raisins about. also i totally love pistachios and often also have cashews & pecans (the latter especially as a crunchy topping on sweet potato, yum)

Nuts are good in moderation, but should not be salted or toasted. Raisins are also good in moderation.

They are high calorie, so large amounts can be a problem.

Lazygood4, quit beating around the bush. Your height and weight put you at obese.

Break a sweat every day and eat right.

and for those who think canadians are nicer than americans...

Zipper said:
Lazygood4, Your height and weight put you at obese.
Zipper said:
Zipper said:

such a proud moment for you. where's my american gun?

i found pics of me at my absolute very lightest weight as an adult. the towel is me in last year of highschool about age 18, 5-10, 175 lbs.

but hey, we can't all be 155 lb lightweights, aye?

Attachments

• me-at-18-web.jpg
    me-at-18-web.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 50
  • me-at-18-web.jpg_thumb
    31.1 KB · Views: 2
Zipper said:
Lazygood4Your height and weight put you at obese.
Zipper said:
Zipper said:

and here's me at 19 or 20 getting even fatter according to zipper as i'm still 5-10 but now weigh about 180-185 lbs. (having discovered beer in college) yet still haven't developed a chest.

so much for height & weight

Attachments

• me onboard at 20.jpg
    me onboard at 20.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 46
  • me onboard at 20.jpg_thumb
    25.7 KB · Views: 1
Zipper said:
Your height and weight put you at obese.

and now that you having me rummaging through 1970s photos so i could show one of me as a lightweight, still 1 inch taller than you but only 20 lbs heavier than you before i developed, i might as well show off mom, posing--as zipper would have anyone believe--her obesity in a one-piece.

Attachments

• mom-onboard-web.jpg
    mom-onboard-web.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 57
  • mom-onboard-web.jpg_thumb
    27.4 KB · Views: 2
Way to go LG4NB!!

That is EXACTLY why I say that BMI and MetLife are bogus. They are based upon statistical averages. And some people just ain't average.

BTW, Mom looks pretty hot, nice legs.

(closet lech)

Ugh, I need to join, I gained mucho weight over the last two months! Signed up for my first marathon in June, though! I will weigh myself and post on Wednesday.

retiredbop said:
That is EXACTLY why I say that BMI and MetLife are bogus. They are based upon statistical averages. And some people just ain't average.
BTW, Mom looks pretty hot, nice legs.
(closet lech)

hate to break it to ya but you've come out of closet lechery and fallen right into necrophilia: she's dead.

mom was a bit of a hottie though. and she had the best legs in the family. most of our women get thunder thighs and i've got calves big enough to carry two people.

what just irks me, besides rudeness, is this one-size-fits-all thinking. like it doesn't matter if you are six foot five or five foot four, you should always and only have a 32 inch waist. if that was the case, then everyone would be satisfied with zipper's little penis.

Is this thread a but weird? Maybe I am getting too old, but I don't remember guys comparing their measurements. You guys wearing earrings too?

Ha

HaHa said:
Is this thread a but weird? Maybe I am getting too old, but I don't remember guys comparing their measurements. You guys wearing earrings too?

Ha

um, no, butt you seem to be wearing your freudian slip.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
hate to break it to ya but you've come out of closet lechery and fallen right into necrophilia: she's dead.

Aaah well, chalk up another item on my list of demented mental problems.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
what just irks me, besides rudeness, is this one-size-fits-all thinking.

I know EXACTLY what you mean! Like, where is it written that any guy with a 48" waist MUST have short stubby legs with only a 28" or 30" inseam. Don't they realize the average height in this country has been steadily rising for at least the last three generations. And like I said there is nothing average about me. I can get by with 32", would love 33", and buy 34" whenever I see them whether I happen to need them at the time or not. Because I know they won't be there when I do need them.

Today is wednesday. Where are all the numbers?

I gained 2 lbs, which is the approximate weight of the new cast on my broken arm. Here's a tip: for your aerobic activity, choose something other than roller skating.

wab said:
Today is wednesday. Where are all the numbers?

I gained 2 lbs, which is the approximate weight of the new cast on my broken arm. Here's a tip: for your aerobic activity, choose something other than roller skating.

I suppose you will add that to your list of "Lessons Learned the Hard Way"? Ouch.

OK. Today I weigh 150. 3 months ago I weighed 158. My pants had gotten tight, so I exercised more and ate less, the old standby. And I drink less too.

IMO, I look way better. I could do an Hugo Boss ad, if they had a category for older models.

PS Wab, sorry about the accident.

Ha

Thanks for the sympathy. It was a lot of fun right up to the bone cracking part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom