A lot of new members?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Is it me, or have we recently gotten a big influx of new members lately?

TromboneAl said:

Yes, should the board be split into oldies and newbies? SWMBO is complaining that she is missing posts because there are so many these days. Perhaps we need to increase the 100 to 500?

[N.B it is Thursday]

TromboneAl said:

I noticed it just before the holidays, but since I wasn't here last year I thought it might be some kind of recurring phenomenon that coincided with the season.

I've tried to do some prioritization on keeping up with new threads, but I'm not doing very well. There have been lengthy discussions that I find interesting but only find many of them after there are 5-6 pages posted.

I'm new. Here's my theory.

At New Year's a lot of people are evaluating where about they are with their financial plan. They do a google search on early retirement for any related information and find this forum.

That's my story anyway.

Empty Pockets said:
I'm new. Here's my theory.

At New Year's a lot of people are evaluating where about they are with their financial plan. They do a google search on early retirement for any related information and find this forum.

That's my story anyway.

Hey Empty...

You must not have read the forum rules..... it states that you should send $10 to every person on the board with more than 500 posts to compensate them for all this good advice :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I will hold my breath until I get the check.... :uglystupid:

Texas Proud said:
Hey Empty...

You must not have read the forum rules..... it states that you should send $10 to every person on the board with more than 500 posts to compensate them for all this good advice :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I will hold my breath until I get the check.... :uglystupid:

I would love to be in.......but I think most want ME to PAY for the privilege of posting here............ :LOL: :LOL:

At least I sent dory a Firecalc support payment..........so I feel better........ :LOL: :LOL:

Texas Proud said:
You must not have read the forum rules..... it states that you should send $10 to every person on the board with more than 500 posts to compensate them for all this good advice

So that means we all owe John Galt $1,000,000? Yikes.

Oh wait, you said good advice. Never mind then.

if you think i did a good job with this you ought to see all the toast ovens my efforts garnered from the gay recruitment drive.

It appears that there are several new members and there are a lot of people who have more posts than me.

You all have it totally wrong. Here's the way I see it.

When I joined a couple of months ago, you were all to busy jumping all over me that the other newbie's that were lurking thought "Hey they're pretty busy slamm'in the new guy, do you think they'll notice if a dozen of us just slide in through the cracks”." Maybe we can get by without this unitization (sp) they have with newbie's".

That's it!

By the way, I just got back from the doctor and he told me that the last of my stitches have healed.
:LOL: :D

TromboneAl said:
I wonder if it's cabin fever.

Activity may drop off after the first good thaw as some of the members crawl out of their burrows, blinking & stretching, to check their shadows.

Take a look at the bottom of the page at http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?action=stats Last year there seemed to be a definite "winter effect" lurking under the board's general media-inspired growth curve, but it's not so prevalent now...

Monthly New Members Most Online Page views
January 2007 43 215 520584
December 2006 87 234 1134673
November 2006 64 221 1096843
October 2006 98 180 1352151
September 2006 99 182 1123892
August 2006 100 186 1220941
July 2006 89 178 1061528
June 2006 102 191 1280653
May 2006 75 180 1344846
April 2006 86 177 1098536
March 2006 108 161 1103490
February 2006 118 155 885635
January 2006 146 143 822375
December 2005 101 118 569395
November 2005 93 125 557764
October 2005 69 109 547479
September 2005 57 112 543372
August 2005 83 116 653906
July 2005 88 109 527834
June 2005 91 103 514456
May 2005 77 113 459247

There seems to be an increase in spammer accounts lately. Heck we had one the other day that used two accounts to make a spam thread...one set the thread up with a question and the other answered with a spam link.

Most users never post. From glancing through some of the zero-post accounts it seems like a lot of users sign up and never sign in again afterwards. I don't quite understand this phenomenon as there's not much to be gained by signing up if you're not going to hang around. (There's no extra content for signing up, but if you're a lurker who reads regularly it's nice to sign up to have the board track what you've read and haven't read.)

As far as new posting members I can't really say. I'll see a name and think of them as new then realize they've been around for a year or two already.

BigMoneyJim said:
(There's no extra content for signing up, but if you're a lurker who reads regularly it's nice to sign up to have the board track what you've read and haven't read.)

Yes, that's a likely reason. Also, IIRC non-signed-in users aren't able to see images that are posted (though maybe that was on another board I semi-lurked on, I forget).

mja said:
Also, IIRC non-signed-in users aren't able to see images that are posted

Yes, that's what I think - I often don't bother to log in until either I want to see an image or I feel the need to post.

F M All said:
Yes, that's what I think - I often don't bother to log in until either I want to see an image or I feel the need to post.

Testing...

Attachments

• 144-4421_IMG.jpg
    144-4421_IMG.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 144-4421_IMG.jpg_thumb
    25.1 KB · Views: 1
Don't you need to sign up in order to use the "search" feature? That requirement on some other forums caused me to sign up, just to research one question at the time.

I just checked...the search feature works for guests, but--and this is news to me--attached images don't appear to guests.

(Linked images work for guests, though, like DRiP Guy's images above. And of course smileys work for guests.)

Your little tigger outfit is very cute Jim. I'll bet you got a lot of candy this past Halloween.

Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny said:
Your little tigger outfit is very cute Jim. I'll bet you got a lot of candy this past Halloween.

And all that candy went to those cute little chubby feet.

cute kid. big hands, big feet. you know what that means: big gloves & big shoes.

pic posts work for guests if you "img" code them instead of attaching.

riskaverse said:
It's the baby boomers - you ain't seen nothing yet!
That's it! We're descending on you in droves! :LOL:

Let's see. I guess the oldest Post War Baby Boomers would be born around 1945, so they would be turning 62 later this year. Pretty late to start retirement plans, but better late than never. :)

Back
Top Bottom