My Heroes have always been Cowboys...

polloloco

Recycles dryer sheets
But I never had a horse. My plan is to ride into the sunset sometime between October 31 and December 31, 2008. Earlier would be more desirable but the necessity of continuing insurance at corporate rates, especially with a wife ten years my junior has extended the time till age 62.Only in the past three years have I really been able to accumulate a cash pile (90% stocks/mutual funds, 10% cash/CD's) that will give us a reasonably comfortable income for another 35 or so years, thanks to stock options and a large increase in stock value when I exercised. Also, at the recent performance review, the boss asked me when I wanted to retire. My reply, for the above reason, was no later than 62. "Okay", he said. "Be sure you have a replacement trained." I do have one that will be ready and my job for the last year will be to supervise him as he assumes full responsibility for overseeing certain of our company's operations in nine locations. The surprise gift is that I will not have to work full time during that period, having been told that I can take some periods of time off, as long as a month at a time, during the last year. Feels like I am home free already.

polloloco said:
"Be sure you have a replacement trained." I do have one that will be ready and my job for the last year will be to supervise him as he assumes full responsibility..........Feels like I am home free already.

I can relate to that, even though the training period is MUCH shorter for my replacement! I have him to train for ~3 months. I have negotiated a couple of steak dinners to go back twice this summer to train him on a couple of yearly tests that will come up at that time. (under the rules of our pension fund, I can not receive any financial compensation....but they said nothing of meat!)

Anyway, he's learning the ropes quite well, and I just have to be around now to answer his questions, and check his work/results at the end of the day. Since I have no active 'w*rk' to do, I sit and read, and hang here on the ER boards.

It DOES feel like I'm home free, too!!! SWEEEET!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom