Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   selfless pursuits (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/selfless-pursuits-25277.html)

wabmester 01-22-2007 11:50 AM

selfless pursuits

I look on-and-off for volunteer opportunities. Not because I am a sweetheart who feels a debt to society, but helping people makes me feel good, and sometimes I find good company to hang with.

Often, I quickly get disillusioned by politics, weird agendas, or hard-to-deal-with personalities.

This weekend, I went to check out our local robotics club. Oooh, neat gadgets all over the place. A room filled with geeks!

Once I fended off the head geek who couldn't stop talking about the crossbar supercomputer and dataflow language he invented as a younger geek, I helped a super-smart 12 year-old hack a C program, cross-compile it, download the new firmware to his self-built bot, and watched it go. He was seriously jazzed, emitting monotone utterances of delight.

Later in the day, some 8-year-old corrected me. Massive blue stars aren't massive due to high density, it's their high *volume* that makes them massive. He was right.

I think I found my spot. :)

crazy connie 01-22-2007 12:28 PM

Re: selfless pursuits

Out of the mouths of babes! ENJOY the none agenda persuit of fun and knowledge.

cute fuzzy bunny 01-22-2007 08:31 PM

Hmmm...intellectually at home with 8-12 year olds. Sounds about right.

Bwaaahaahahahaha!

Sorry...

lazygood4nothinbum 01-22-2007 08:59 PM

while w*rking i became interested in the guardian ad litem program ( www.guardianadlitem.org ) but i didn't have the time what with w*rk & becoming mom's guardian and all. don't know how my future is going to go. but if i don't become a perpetual traveler any time soon i might look into involvement there. will that mean i'll have to wake up before noon?

wabmester 01-22-2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Bwaaahaahahahaha!

I expose my soft underbelly, and you strike! :(

Quote:

Sorry...
That's OK. I would have done the same. :)

cute fuzzy bunny 01-22-2007 11:24 PM

Hey, what are friends for.

If we didnt love each other, we wouldnt care enough to properly eviscerate.

Actually it sounds like you're having a lot of fun, keep up the good work.

I think i'll do my part by gathering the neighborhood kids together tomorrow and show them how to light bacon on fire and let it cook itself.

sgeeeee 01-22-2007 11:48 PM

I do a lot of volunteer activities these days. Is it really a "selfless pursuit" if you get personal satisfaction from it? I know I've phased myself out of volunteer activities when they weren't fun. ???

Dreamer 01-23-2007 07:57 AM

Good for you Wab. You might never know the difference that you will make in one of those children's lives. Could make a huge impact!

dex 01-23-2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wab
Later in the day, some 8-year-old corrected me. Massive blue stars aren't massive due to high density, it's their high *volume* that makes them massive. He was right.

There is a podcast available on the iTunes store Astro 10 that you might like. It is a college level course - good stuff.

FinanceDude 01-23-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wab

There's hope for the future............. ;D ;D

Shredder 01-25-2007 01:22 PM

Sounds like your having fun, go for it! Myself, I'd be more comfortable with Homer or Bart Simpson, than Lisa, the smarty pants.......shredder

Gone4Good 01-28-2007 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamer
Good for you Wab. You might never know the difference that you will make in one of those children's lives. Could make a huge impact!

Like in a "War Games" kind of way. :o

TromboneAl 01-28-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

show them how to light bacon on fire and let it cook itself.
Please post this in the recipe thread.