Curious about Monikers

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In case you've ever wondered why I chose Meadbh, she was a FI Irish Queen in the first century.
I don't wish to compromise anyone's privacy, but I often wonder how Forum members select some of those cryptic usernames. For example, is C-T really cut-throat, and how did lazygood4nothingbum get to be FI if he's so lazy:confused:

Meadbh (aka the Queen)

Meadbh said:
In case you've ever wondered why I chose Meadbh, she was a FI Irish Queen in the first century.
I don't wish to compromise anyone's privacy, but I often wonder how Forum members select some of those cryptic usernames. For example, is C-T really cut-throat, and how did lazygood4nothingbum get to be FI if he's so lazy:confused:

Meadbh (aka the Queen)

Meadbh said:

Meadbh (aka the Queen)
Mine is just an amalgam from my first and last names. I have used it for more than a decade - I think I started someplace where user names could be no longer than 8 characters.

Is Meadbh the red headed Irish warrior queen with a ravenous sexual appetite?

I explained mine when I first came on:

"DRiP Guy" comes from the 15 or so years that I was not only putting money away into my 401(k) but also scarfing up DRiP (Dividend Re-investment Plan) stocks of quality companies (like P&G, Walmart, Johnson Controls, Novo Nordisk, Exxon, etc) through direct purchase. Having no broker involved was a big deal in 90's and until the recent super low fees. You wrote to the companies (later, could use computer), made an initial cash payment, and then subsequent periodic repurchases, with reinvestment of dividends into the stock.

When the concept of FI/RE started to loom as possibly real and possibly imminent for me, I liquidated all of those individual stocks, and purchased index funds and set up an asset allocation more in line with my upcoming risk profile.

I think that "cut-throat" almost certainly refers to his love for trout fishing; that being a specific variety.

hiya queen meadbh,

"lazy" is because i don't like shopping. i don't even like dealing with all the suvs in the mall parking lot. if it wasn't for the internet & home delivery, i'd still be wearing old underwear.

"good" refers to mom & the man i refer to as the ol'man, my step-father of very many years. weren't it for them, i wouldn't have the cash to er. though, weren't it for taking care of mother good in her long dying years, i both would have been moving around the country and climbing the corporate ladder to reached fi sooner, and i wouldn't have been so depressed to jump that boat i saw on fire to reach that fire life raft. so i guess that was a wash.

"nothin" refers to a concept my very wise uncle whispered into my ear at our last meeting. this guy always spoke very quietly and also often mumbled. but if ever you caught what he was saying, and i listened closely to every word, you'd be on the floor rolling in laughter. (to entertain his passenger he used to steer his xke convertible with his feet.) anyway, he was dying and came to say goodbye two weeks before checking out. the very last thing he said to me is "nothing matters." then as i was getting ready to drive my grandparents home and he was in the garage getting into mom's car to go to the airport, i turned to him with tears in my eyes and he got this big ol' smile on and gave me the peace sign. that is my last memory of him. such a wonderful man.

"bum" refers to my dad, the bum, some guy who hasn't initiated contact with me since i was about 15 when he took me out to dinner. even though i'd make an effort to see him whenever i was in town, i never got a phone call, not even a birthday card. i don't even know if the bum is dead or alive. what a bummer.

ok, well, that's the new moniker myth. though if you want the truth it is because my ol'man once said to me in my rebellious adolescence, "the only way you'll ever have money is if you stub your toe on a treasure chest in the sand, you lazy good for nothing bum."

I just like the sound of "Dex".

Okietexan

I was born in Oklahoma and lived in Oklahoma City and Tulsa as a youth.
I got to Texas as quickly as I could! I have spent my adult years here.
I also use TexasOkie. When UT plays OU at Thanksgiving, I can root for either
team!

I have other monikers, too, with other origins.

An air of mystery sometimes suits me, but in this case "Want2retire" pretty much says it all. 8)

Leonidas - One of the two Kings of ancient Sparta. He took 300 troops to Thermoplyae to face off against Xerxes million Persians and allies. They asked him to surrender and told him the arrows flying through the sky would be so thick they would blot out the sun. His reply was "Good, then we'll fight in the shade." An ancient smartass who fought to the death for democracy and his homeland - I like it.

Leonidas said:
Leonidas - One of the two Kings of ancient Sparta. He took 300 troops to Thermoplyae to face off against Xerxes million Persians and allies. They asked him to surrender and told him the arrows flying through the sky would be so thick they would blot out the sun. His reply was "Good, then we'll fight in the shade." An ancient smartass who fought to the death for democracy and his homeland - I like it.

Something coming to big screen soon.... I always loved that quote.

I am a homebrewer of 15 years and a national BJCP beer judge. O0

Mine comes from pronouncing my initials as a single word -- gmb

Captain John Tuttle from MASH (TV version). Fictional hero invented by Hawkeye and Trapper John

Extra credit for his religion, his medical school and how he met his end. (Without Googling of course).

'Bosco' is my chocolate lab. Named after a chocolate drink from decades ago.

Wow, what exotic monikers. Mine is not so exotic and pretty much sums up my life in the technical field. :(

Mine is the shortened version of GoonHead....my old moniker from my ChitChat days at Pythonline, which had to be 8 characters or less. And GoonHead came from what my friends and I used to call each other in public....."Man, you are such a goon!" It was a term of endearment! :D

My dad gave all of his kids nicknames. Mine was Randydog (it sure beat bubblybutt) - over the years it was shortened to Dog.

"Old" because I am, well, kinda old. "Babe" because I really liked that movie. :D And "pig" just seemed unseemly. :D

Attachments

• Babe.jpg
    Babe.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Babe.jpg_thumb
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
I chose mine because it was simple. :D

Well, actually, a little more to it than that - I'm a low-maintenance kind of gal. I don't like to shop, and I don't need "stuff" to make me happy. DH really likes that! Experiences/time/travel are more important to me.

My favorite saying when I've had enough is I'm outtahere, seemed fitting for this forum :) I drive Dh crazy with it, we'll be somewhere and he can tell just by the look on my face that I'm about to say that or that "the paint is dry".

Mine is hard to figure out............. :LOL: :LOL:

My other persona online is "bluestars80:, but I don't think anyone would understand it so I went with easy............. :)

I think mine is pretty obvious, but it is a reference to the second letter of Paul to the church at Corinth, chapter five, verse 21:

"God made him who had no sin to be a sin offering for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."

I like the verse because it both reminds me to be humble in my beliefs and shares the good news of Christianity. Jesus and talking about him can offend people and I've never liked it that some Christians increase the offensiveness by a judgmental air of superiority.

2Cor521

There's an old John Baldry song that has a quote in it: "If you want to cross the bridge, you've got to pay the toll." I worked for a liquor store chain in the inner-city, and the locals were always asking for credit or a freebie, so I put a sign by the register that said, "If you want to cross the bridge, you've got to pay the toll", meaning if you want alcohol, you gotta pay for it. Too bad most of them couldn't read!.

Payin-the-Toll said:
I worked for a liquor store chain in the inner-city, and the locals were always asking for credit or a freebie, so I put a sign by the register that said, "If you want to cross the bridge, you've got to pay the toll", meaning if you want alcohol, you gotta pay for it. Too bad most of them couldn't read!.

I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a bottle of Mad Dog today!

eveningledger-wimpy.jpg

Mine is the Anglicized first syllable of my Norwegian maiden name. First acquired it in college when my sorority sisters didn't want to write out my entire last name or risk misspelling my first name.

Back
Top Bottom