Poll on Health Insurance Costs for a married Couple with no kids

How much $ per year does health Insurance Cost you?

• Less than $2K a year

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Less than $3K a year

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Less than $4K a year

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Less than $5K a year

• Less than $6K a year

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Less than $7K a year

• Less than $8K a year

• Less than $9K a year

• Less than $10K a year

• More than $10K a year

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • More than $15K a year

• More than $20K a year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Eligible to Vote

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • We go bare - No Insurance

• Total voters
C

Cut-Throat

I thought it be interesting to see how Health Care Costs vaired across the forum. I restricted this poll to a married couple with no kids that are completely covering their health insurance costs 100%. No help from previous employers or the government.

Obviously the higher the deductable the cheaper the policy. Just wanted to see the range of costs. I did not vote because we have our Health Insurance through my wife's company.

Cut-Throat said:
No help from previous employers or the government.
Well, that counts me out too.

Are you including a "Can't vote" selection to represent the survivor's bias?

I just picked up the latest rate schedule for our insurer (doesn't take effect for a few more months). We have an HSA with $3200 family deductible.

Currently, we pay about $3600/year.

If we were 30 years old, that would be closer to $3000/year.

If we were 50, it would be about $5600/year.

It maxes out at age 60 at $8400/year for a family of three.

Edit: oops, I just noticed you said *no* kids. Subtract $840 from all of those amounts.

Didn't vote because I have 2 kids.

For a family of 4: deductables, co-pays and premiums came out to 11k for 2006. Anthem BC/BS

All we pay for is Medicare Premiums ($93.50 X 2 per month) or $2,244 a years. We have TFL for all of the other costs.

Well, I (and probably others) voted before I saw your restriction. So my less than $4K (very little less) missed a 70% subsidy from the government. So kick one vote way up the scale to get the total cost.

By the way, on the health insurance front there is a good debate going on at Cato Unbound. I have seen some of the arguments show up here in other threads. I, not surprisingly, find myself swayed by the single payer argument so my link takes you to that portion of the debate. :LOL:

I'm on DW's plan from her job. She is retired and we pay just shy of $1500 (10%) a year.

Where's the option for "a gazillion dollars but I can't actually say how much because I pay through taxes instead of in a free or semi-free market?" ;)

I didn't vote because I'm not actually buying health insurance yet, so I don't really know how much it will cost. But the cheapest quote I've seen for a policy that actually covers things like getting sick is $10K (under 40, married couple, no kids). Makes me seriously consider moving.

donheff said:
Well, I (and probably others) voted before I saw your restriction. So my less than $4K (very little less) missed a 70% subsidy from the government. So kick one vote way up the scale to get the total cost.

I'm in the same boat.

Grumpy

$193/mo or $2316/year. HSA $5250 deductible, $10k total out of pocket. Great saving vehicle.

We are on Blue Cross/Blue Shield with 4 separate policies

Here's our scoop:
CURRENT fees (they keep going up....)

DH (53) $414 x 4 quarters = 1656 yrly
Me (45) $324 x 4 = 1296

(Also, the DD's - 18 and 21 are $195 each x 4 = $780 yearly

We EACH have a $2500 deductable

This is depressing. I am not going to read or write any more tonight regarding insurance! :p

Jane

We meet your criteria - Husband and wife, no kids, both age 52, fully funding our own private H. Ins.

We have United (Golden Rule) plan, $10,000 ded., paying $280.20/month for plan, and contributing to HSA to pay out of pocket expenses, which fortunately are very little (annual check ups, dental cleanings, no Rx). It's good for now.....knock on wood!).

We also meet the criteria. Both 47 and no kids. I pay 40 a check for a PPO plan with no deductible. My wife pays 30 for an 80/20 plan. We both work for MegaCorps. If I make it to 2008, I can get the plan starting at 55 even if I have left the company. It then converts to a supplemental medicare plan at 65.

Back
Top Bottom