Need to open a Money Market Account

Hamlet

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've never kept a whole lot of cash around (young, single -- everything invested in stocks). I'm getting married toward the end of the year, and I need to open an account to hold the wedding money and what will now be a larger emergency fund.

Any recommendations?

A quick look at bankrate.com left me leaning towards E-Loan. They say they pay 5.25%. Anyone have any experiences with them?

Any other recommendations?

Vanguard MM Prime is a good choice if you don't want to be rate shopping on a regular basis. E-Loan is fine, but it remains to be seen if they will stay near the top of the charts.

it's also important to recognize the difference between a MM account and a MM Fund ... with the former you will be restricted to fewer withdrawals per month.

Ditto to those suggestions....I moved my money recently from eloan to hsbc since they have a 3-month special on new money....

Vanguard's Prime MMF is one of the best around and it provides consistently the best short-term returns as far as MMF are concerned.

I have been using it as a place to park my short term cash for many years and they have not lost a single penny of my stash! :D

I really like INGDirect because of the sub accounts I can create. They are virtual accounts that I can assign names to. I have my vacation fund, my next car fund, etc. I suppose it would be smarter to use Vanguard and creat virtual accounts with an Excel spreedsheet. I'll have to put some thought into that.

Back
Top Bottom