Minor IE Glitch

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anybody know the setting that is causing this somewhat annoying glitch with msnbc.com?

Whenever there's a breaking news story, the "Breaking Story" banner is empty, rather than having the text of the headline in it.

And some stories that I click on, such as this one:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4029598/

have no actual story.

Thanks,

Attachments

• NoStory.jpg
    NoStory.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 20
  • NoStory.jpg_thumb
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
No immediate answer, but some questions that might help with the diagnosis:

What verson of IE are you running - as in is it relatively current?

Are you still having the problem with this link (If not then it is probably their issue and nothing you can do about it. If you are, then it is your problem because the link works now.)

Have you tried this with Firefox or any other browser?

IE is getting so complex. There are so many settings, so many dependencies, and so little and vague documentation.

I have not experienced this problem. I wonder if it has anything to do with lack of resources. Lack of memory and/or cache, slow connection or busy network.

Have you tried to remove IE and reinstalling it (to get back all the default settings).

Any popup blockers or other s/w that might be limiting content? Any switches turned off in IE to limit active content? Got all the plugins you need?

I have v. 6.0.2900.

I've gone over the security settings. I use the Google toolbar for popup blocking, but even with that turned off, I still get it.

It may not be worth solving. Here's the page today, showing that there's some breaking news, but I don't get to see what it is.

Attachments

• NoStoryNoInfo.jpg
    NoStoryNoInfo.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 9
  • NoStoryNoInfo.jpg_thumb
    11.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks, it was related to my blocking of Flash animations:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

I had suspected that early on, but when I tested that theory, I was misled because flash isn't reenabled unless I close all IE windows and open them again.

Back
Top Bottom