MJ Resurfaces

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi Folks,

Billy and Akaisha have "forced" me to write this a bit sooner (coming out of my closet). Sorry for the long silent spell. Being overseas, without my laptop has made it difficult for me to compose long messages at my leisure so that I could share some of my experiences with you. I never got around putting a blog together, it takes too much time (for me). I am still around the Chiang Mai region.

A lot has changed with my plans. Soon after arriving in Chiang Mai I met a beautiful European farang 21 years younger than myself in Chiang and had a roller coaster romance. What ride!. This long time travelling woman would have been a dream come true as a traveling partner but alas, she only wanted my aging body and soul for a limited time. Luckily, I was aerobically in better shape than she was, so she couldn't keep up with me. Then just as quickly as she came into my life, she moved on after the new year, never to be heard of again (and I have tried).

As a result of our separation and her influence, I began doing yoga. I also went on a 21 day meditation (vipassana) retreat. It was a learning experience. I meditating almost everyday day now. I am also rethinking my travel plans for the next time. Instead of bringing my wonderful bike with me which can be a burden in some parts of the world, I might just take 30 lbs in a backpack to roam the world more freely. This is my 1st PT experience and the last 4 months have gone by too quickie. I still wonder, what have I done all that time. So far, I am enjoying my time here and hope to continue my new vagabond lifestyle for many years to come. I will be off to Laos in a few days, doing some light bike touring for about 3 to 4 weeks then back to North Thailand. Then I may head to the South where I haven't been before.

Eventually, i'll put my photos on the web, so you guys can see a bit of my adventure.

As a side, this farang semi-ER story is an interesting one. She decided when she was 20 that she wants to travel most of the year and work just enough to support her travel habit. She found a simple formula. She became a (legit) masseuse. Between working 3 to 4 months a year, making big euros and $rent from a couple of apartments she bought, she has been travelling around the world for the past 15 years.

Till the next time.

sawatdee krap, a bientot,

MJ (vagabond at large)

PS: Thanks Billy and Akaisha

Hey MJ!!!!

I was getting a bit worried about you - but I got word that you were alive and well from Akaisha. Its great to hear (and see!) that you are in good health and relaxing a bit as you are exploring the world.

That 21 day meditation retreat sounds like a life-changing event. You'll have to fill us in on it one of these days.

Take care guy.

shiny said:
Hey MJ!!!!

I was getting a bit worried about you - but I got word that you were alive and well from Akaisha. Its great to hear (and see!) that you are in good health and relaxing a bit as you are exploring the world.

That 21 day meditation retreat sounds like a life-changing event. You'll have to fill us in on it one of these days.

Take care guy.

Thanks Shiny

MJ, you have made some amazing lifestyle changes. It took a great deal of courage to go through what you have gone through. I admire that you had the presence of mind to take advantage of a 21 day meditation retreat because you found yourself in turmoil over your relationship with this young woman.

Good for you!

See ya when you get back from Laos!

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

I recently returned from Laos where, I had a real nice time relaxing and biking around Vientiane, Vang Vieng and then onto Luang Prabang for the New Year celebration which was a blast. My folding bike and I did use buses to get from town to town since my bike doesn't have the low mountain gears needed for the steep mountains on Laos. I am back in Chiang Mai where the air quality is back to breathable normal. it is wonderful to wake up to see the beautiful gentle western mountains once again from my 2nd floor balcony.

I know I have contributed squat since I left the states in November but I thought my thread would get a few more replies besides Shiny and Akaisha who have previously contacted me personally which I did appreciate.

Thought, I would put in a small gripe. :mad:

You can all go $#@!! yourselves. :LOL: :LOL:

Now I feel much better. :D

JUST KIDDING! ;)

MJ (vagabond at large)

We are just jealous.

Glad to hear from you. If you have pictures, post some. :)

vagabond said:
I know I have contributed squat since I left the states in November but I thought my thread would get a few more replies besides Shiny and Akaisha who have previously contacted me personally which I did appreciate.

Thought, I would put in a small gripe. :mad:

You can all go $#@!! yourselves. :LOL: :LOL:

Now I feel much better. :D

JUST KIDDING! ;)

MJ (vagabond at large)

Hey, I'd love to hear more from you about your traveling. It's hard to establish communication with a guy who spends more time on a saddle (bicycle) than at home in front of a computer. Now that you're back to CM, start contributing with a detailed report of your trips with pictures. Can't wait to read it.

stories like billy & akaisha's & yours have really got me thinking about a vagabond life for myself. it sounds like a wonderful way to live. i'm starting to like the idea of vagabonding abroad even better than living aboard in the states. definitely would love to read more about your adventures.

Nice to see your pixels......if you're thinking of giving up your bike for a backpack, take it from experience.....if you're carrying around 30 pounds, you have about twice as much stuff as you need.

I always smile a little at U.S. backpackers with their high tech equipment and all their stuff, when I think of all the people we've met all over the world traveling for YEARS with maybe ten pounds (or less) of belongings.

Start looking at what you could do without.....you'll probably be surprised.

Sorry your romance didn't work out, but it sounds like it was fun while it lasted....."to every thing there is a season".......

Enjoy your travels...LooseChickens

vagabond said:
II know I have contributed squat since I left the states in November but I thought my thread would get a few more replies besides Shiny and Akaisha who have previously contacted me personally which I did appreciate.
MJ (vagabond at large)

I don't remember seeing this post the first time you posted it - I don't know why.
But, thanks for the update - you are doing great and are an inspiration.
Congrats

loosechickens said:
when I think of all the people we've met all over the world traveling for YEARS with maybe ten pounds (or less) of belongings.

Ten pounds? Isn't that low? I thought 20 is the reasonable number. Can you itemize the 10# belongings?

vagabond,
Thanks for checking in, and make with the pictures already! Us stay-at-home types need to enjoy your trip vicariously.

Concerning backpack loads: The US Army has made tons of advances since WW-II in researching and procuring lightweight equipment. Packs, shelter, garments, canteens, web gear: everything has gottemn lightweight. And yet, the overall combat weight of a partrooper hasn't gotten lighter at all--80 pounds in the pack, plus extras (mortar base plate anyone?). They just carry MORE of the lightweight gear, then add ammunition until you get to 80 lbs.
I suspect a lot of new vagabonds do the same thing--keep adding nice-to-haves as long as they can get the ruck on their back.
Lots of peple building airplanes of their own are temped to add nice-to-have extras that all add to the weight of the airplane and lower its performance. Burt Rutan offered this half-joking advice to those building his designs. "If you're considering adding something extra, test it by tossing it into the air. If it comes back down, it weighs too much. Don't add it."

loosechickens said:
I always smile a little at U.S. backpackers with their high tech equipment and all their stuff, when I think of all the people we've met all over the world traveling for YEARS with maybe ten pounds (or less) of belongings.

I'm told you can tell the new traveler because that don't carry their own toilet paper.

samclem said:
Concerning backpack loads: The US Army has made tons of advances since WW-II in researching and procuring lightweight equipment. Packs, shelter, garments, canteens, web gear: everything has gottemn lightweight. And yet, the overall combat weight of a partrooper hasn't gotten lighter at all--80 pounds in the pack, plus extras (mortar base plate anyone?). They just carry MORE of the lightweight gear, then add ammunition until you get to 80 lbs.

On average, how many lbs of ammunition? And does this 80lbs figure include the gun?

MJ, I would be interested in hearing more about your trip to Laos. We intend to spend time in Vietnam and would be interested as to how your compare the two countries. BTW did you every feel "threatened" in Laos - that is your personal security I am referring to.

out in the middle of nowhere, you can usually tell the new travelers because they still think that toilet paper is necessary! ::)

Fifteen pounds is probably more doable, but we've met plenty with ten or less. A change, maybe two of clothes, a toothbrush, some iodine or a survival straw for water, a pocketknife, maybe a small pot to cook in and eat from,in warm countries a cloth to wrap up in to protect from mosquitos that has multiple other uses......

I'm not saying what you would be most comfortable with, but what you NEED. Those are two different things. (you can jettison the toothbrush and chew a twig if you need to).

We have traveled for months at a time with one small carry-on bag each. Mine would weigh less than ten pounds were it not for the books I try to sneak in. And in our travels, believe me, we've met some who make US look like overburdened tourists.

the point I was trying to make is that it is certainly possible with a whole lot less than thirty pounds of gear. At thirty pounds you are the slave of your belongings, and in the Third World, may well be carrying on your back more stuff than the average person owns. And they manage surprisingly well. You can too.

Carry on....LooseChickens

MJ, good luck on your continued travels. I would also like to hear more details when you get a chance.

out in the middle of nowhere, you can usually tell the new travelers because they still think that toilet paper is necessary!
This Fall I hope to be leaving for a multi-month journey through China and several Southeast Asian countries. While I am a flexible budget traveler who travels with a light pack, I do plan to have some toilet paper with me!! ;) Walmart sells special rolls that are tightly compressed and light for camping. Even in countries that actually use TP (i.e., Mexico), it can be a precious commodity to have when you are out and about.

We have traveled for months at a time with one small carry-on bag each. Mine would weigh less than ten pounds were it not for the books I try to sneak in. And in our travels, believe me, we've met some who make US look like overburdened tourists.
I may weigh my pack before I go and report back. I am curious about the weight myself. My pack is a little bigger than a carry on, but it can zip down to that size via an internal size adjustment zipper.

Re: Books
I may just bring along an electronic reader. The new Sony Reader's batteries can last for weeks without a recharge (only page changes use the battery). The Nokia 800 Internet Tablet is another possibility and it also has Wi-Fi and can surf the internet. But I will still have to lug a couple of guidebooks. I have mostly ruled out carrying around a laptop. Another way to be a slave to your belongings is not just weight, but carrying around too much of value.

Kramer

Kramer,
How is that Nokia 800 Internet Tablet for internet banking and secured sites?
It is a great idea; instead of taking a laptop.
thanks

dex said:

Have you tried using a device with no keyboard that doesn't run your favorite apps before? In my experience, the novelty wears off pretty quickly. I often carry a 4lb laptop with me when I travel, but Sony does make a sub-2lb laptop if you're really wimpy weight conscious.

LooseChickens
out in the middle of nowhere, you can usually tell the new travelers because they still think that toilet paper is necessary!

In Thailand the locals use a water spray. They think toilet paper is unsanitary. Can't figure out why we would ... uh... do what we do with it... :eek:

the point I was trying to make is that it is certainly possible with a whole lot less than thirty pounds of gear. At thirty pounds you are the slave of your belongings, and in the Third World, may well be carrying on your back more stuff than the average person owns. And they manage surprisingly well. You can too.

Billy and I both brought less stuff this year than in previous years. (but we are techno-junkies and we manage our website and process book orders while on the road so we 'need' our digital crap equipment) I took an extra couple of days to pack for our one year journey away from home, and so I had more room in my luggage and more time to pack. And that stressed me out. I kept asking What am I forgetting? I have so much room! I'm not scrambling! what's wrong? :LOL: :LOL:

Kramer
Re: Books
I may just bring along an electronic reader. The new Sony Reader's batteries can last for weeks without a recharge (only page changes use the battery). The Nokia 800 Internet Tablet is another possibility and it also has Wi-Fi and can surf the internet. But I will still have to lug a couple of guidebooks. I have mostly ruled out carrying around a laptop. Another way to be a slave to your belongings is not just weight, but carrying around too much of value.

Can you tell me more about an electronic reader? I have brought Books on CD and my girlfriend simply 'IPods' her stuff. that is lighter than bringing a 'regular' book -- but those guidebooks. Man are they heavy!! We usually sell ours overseas when we are done with them.

The number of used bookshops here in Chiang Mai has simply exploded. While you can get a simple brain dead novel for a buck, the 'really good ones' usually run $3.50 to $22 USD -- for a used paperback! This doesn't count the used guidebooks...

Hey MJ! You never even said 'So Long' the other day when you visited us at our poolside office! You simply made your way over to that poolside lovely.... and that was that! Didn't your momma teach ya nuthin'? :LOL:

Be well,
Akaisha

dex said:
Kramer,
How is that Nokia 800 Internet Tablet for internet banking and secured sites?
thanks
dex, It is 800x480 resolution and runs Linux. There are a nice number of applications (media playback, text editing, GPS mapping, games, electronic book reader, etc.) for it but the main thing it was made for was internet browsing over WiFi. The browser is Opera (and it runs Flash 7, I think). Apparently, it is very nice for browsing and handles the vast majority of sites, but it is not perfect. I have never used it myself, but I might get one. I am seeing if something better comes out in the next couple of months. I am guessing it would have some problems on at least some of the financial sites, which tend to do some weird things (and it can't handle things like Google online spreadsheets that are intensive AJAX). Skype and Nokia have announced that Skype application will be coming out for it this quarter (and I think it will be video-enabled, too, the device has a video camerar).

I previously posted some details here:

http://www.raddr-pages.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3118

Also see: http://www.nseries.com/products/n800/#l=products,n800

You can buy a tiny bluetooth GPS (now around $70) that weighs just ounces and run a mapping application on the device. Also, it can use google maps, either street or satellite maps and it automates the download process and pins the map locations. Most developing countries' cities do not have street maps on Google, but the satellite maps are available for virtually all of them so this makes the GPS very useful in the developing world.

The device Flash memory is expandable to 16 Gigabytes. The battery life is about 3 hours while using WiFi and 8 hours offline. You can get a bluetooth keyboard for typing if you don't want to use the on-screen keyboard.

The big advantages of this device over a laptop are weight and size and price. You can carry it in your pocket. In most of the developing country cities I have traveled in, I would not want to be carrying around a laptop in a backpack (in most, I don't even want my camera to be visible). If I was traveling to a specific location overseas, and staying there for a time, then I wouldn't mind bringing a laptop, but not when I am traveling around. But my trip will possibly span 10 countries. I may also go without it. My main want is personal reading, which I will cover in my next post.

Here is the forum to learn more about Nokia's N800:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/

Kramer

Can you tell me more about an electronic reader? I have brought Books on CD and my girlfriend simply 'IPods' her stuff. that is lighter than bringing a 'regular' book -- but those guidebooks. Man are they heavy!! We usually sell ours overseas when we are done with them.
Akaisha, in the Fall of last year Sony came out with their electronic reader product (~$350). It uses no battery when displaying a page, only for page turns.

Sony Reader official page:
http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/itpd/reader/

Sony Reader bookstore (over 10000 books):
http://ebooks.connect.com/

The best web site to learn about reading on mobile devices is:

http://www.mobileread.com/

if you click on Forums you will see a forum dedicated to the Sony Reader. And more info here:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Main_Page

As for guidebooks, this is a problem. There are no real good full country guidebooks out in an ebook format (only encrypted PDF) that I have seen. I contacted Lonely Planet last year and they seemed to be only very early experimentation stages.

If you are going on a long trip to many countries with too many guidebooks required, the way to solve this problem is to scan in the books yourself. Once you set up a workflow (non-trivial) from scan to OCR, a regular guidebook might take one half day to get into final ebook form and a large one a whole day. The final product is the book in text AND a version of the book as an HTML document of scanned pages (for maps, etc.). Both of these formats can be read by a reading program (like FBReader http://www.fbreader.org).

It turns out that you could then read the pages on the Nokia N800 device and since it is handheld size (the Sony Reader is not really handheld although it is quite portable), it would be practical for reading scanned guidebook pages since you could easily carry the device around with you. The N800 does run FBReader, too.

By the way, if you reproduce a guidebook in this fashion, you may be violating some copyrights depending on what the copyright says.

On my trip, it looks like I will only need two guidebooks (one for China, one for Southeast Asia) along with some pretty light language guides, so guidebook weight won't really be an issue for me. However, I may get the Sony Reader for personal reading material or maybe adapt the N800 for this (and bring an extra battery for around 16 hours total read time). One thing I would like to do is to go to an internet cafe, and basically download my online reading material (current WSJ articles, RSS feeds, etc.) onto my reading device and then read them later when I am on a long bus trip or whatever, but this is non-trivial. This would be in addition to novels and other reading material that I have stored.

Kramer

The number of used bookshops here in Chiang Mai has simply exploded.
I have been meaning to ask some folks over there this question -- how possible is it to buy good English language travel guidebooks over there (and other countries if you have experience)? I have heard that it is at least possible in Thailand but not many other non-English speaking countries.

Kramer

Billy said:
In Thailand the locals use a water spray. They think toilet paper is unsanitary. Can't figure out why we would ... uh... do what we do with it... :eek:
So, if you are a traveler out in the middle of nowhere where do you find a spray? And what do you dry yourself with?

Kramer

Akaisha, in the Fall of last year Sony came out with their electronic reader product (~$350). It uses no battery when displaying a page, only for page turns.

Kramer I thank you for the effort you put into answering my question. Very thorough, I'm impressed! I will check that out. Again, sincere thanks.

The number of used bookshops here in Chiang Mai has simply exploded.

I have been meaning to ask some folks over there this question -- how possible is it to buy good English language travel guidebooks over there (and other countries if you have experience)? I have heard that it is at least possible in Thailand but not many other non-English speaking countries.

Since we pretty much base out of Thailand, our experience is buying guide books from book stores in Chiang Mai. We have gotten used Lonely Planets here for Vietnam, China, and Laos. Sometimes they may be an edition or two in the past, but in some of these developing nations, things don't change that quickly, and we simply want a place to get started: Hotel rooms, sights to see, and general information on costs, food, transport and so on. We do our visas usually through embassies or travel agents here in Thailand.

Where we were in China and Burma there weren't any English bookstores... Laos had a couple but they were very expensive and upscale coffee table type books (:confused:) no guidebooks. But our experience has been somewhat limited in these countries since we have really not lived there for more than a couple of months.

Vietnam was suited for the traveler, but I don't recall any used bookstores.... perhaps as it opens up more -- they are quite interested in tourism as an income now.

Donheff

Quote from: Billy on Today at 12:01:58 AM

In Thailand the locals use a water spray. They think toilet paper is unsanitary. Can't figure out why we would ... uh... do what we do with it...

So, if you are a traveler out in the middle of nowhere where do you find a spray? And what do you dry yourself with?

Out in the middle of no where (which can be a good deal of Thailand... 8) ) the 'sprays' are all located inside the 'restroom' which they simply call 'toilet'. Normally it is a squat style toilet and a bit funky but they will have these sprays hooked to a water source, and a bucket of water with a ladle. The bucket of water is for you to do your own flushing, please. The spray is to wash yourself off for pete's sake (!!) and the drying.... uh.... they don't. Afterall, they are completely cleaned now... :LOL: and um... it's a humid country after all... (god I can't believe I'm posting this... :eek: )

No matter how primitive the restrooms appear, they all have this sanitary device especially made for personal hygiene.

In Jinghong, China they had these... Well, I won't go there... kind of a foul subject discussing this stuff, and I'm sort of embarrassed to discuss this publicly.... :-[ :eek: but it's something to consider. Take my word for it. Bring toilet paper and some kind of handi wipes! whew.

Be well,
Akaisha

Back
Top Bottom