Poll: Components of net worth

Which of the following components makes up the largest portion of your NW?

• Stocks/bonds/cash in any combination

Votes: 113 82.5%
  • Home equity

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Investment real estate equity (not including home)

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Pension

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

califdreamer

Recycles dryer sheets
I thought it might be interesting to see how people have attained their net worth. Has it been through investing in stocks and bonds (which would include mutual funds), accumulating home equity, investing in real estate (other than personal residence), earning a pension, etc. ?

Mine has come from investing in RE. My gut feeling is I am in the minority here amongst stock/bond/mutual fund investors. ;)

I think you need to re thing this poll.

What people have now might not be how they attained their current net worth.

My answer to how I attained it would be through work and spending below my income, for example.

Yeah I guess the poll question is more accurate than the question posed in my post. The poll is asking which investment or asset class is the biggest component of your net worth. How the seed money was attained is a different question altogheter.

Interesting .... real estate is where I thought it would be (~10%) ... but pensions are much lower; guess I thought we had more teachers, military and gov. workers here.

Well, I'm a gov't worker but I put down stocks/bonds etc.

Although I do count my pension income in my long term income/expense retirement projections, I don't usually count it as part of my net worth. Obviously this can be debated (as it has repeatedly on these boards). I have 15 years in the gov't and plan to leave at 30 years in, which would give me full pension, but who knows? I want my NW # to hopefully keep going up (market fluctuations notwithstanding), and not have it fluctuate if I decide to leave my job (since I'd only leave with a really good reason). I don't mind adjusting the income #s in my spreadsheet, though. :)

Karen

Back
Top Bottom