"Why I'm glad I'm retired" reason #437

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
You more experienced veterans are familiar with "Mickey Mouse", although today we call it "intrusive leadership".

The military has become more "concerned" about tattoos over the last couple decades. I'm not sure if it's about self-expression or freedom of speech or just the pejorative connotation delivered by a literal armload of art. Slowly yet surely, however, tattoos are going the way of beards & moustaches.

The Marine Corps Commandant has hopped on the bandwagon. The current policy prohibits tattoos on the head and neck, and tattoos "that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps." The new policy, taking effect this weekend, also forbids large tattoos that extend past the sleeves and legs of standard-issue exercise T-shirts and shorts. (Yes, the military has a shorts & t-shirts uniform too.) The Navy has had a tattoo policy for a while in certain billets (instructors, recruit training) so now they're reining in their wild-eyed brethren.

While tattooed Marines are rushing to their local parlors to complete their artwork goals before this weekend's over, here's the reason I'm glad I'm not still in uniform: "Commanders are required to place photographs, measurements and descriptions of the location in the service records of Marines who already have sleeve tattoos."

I can only imagine the forms, instructions, investigations, & inspections that will grow out of this...

http://starbulletin.com/2007/03/30/news/story04.html

Sounds like they will need process analysts to study, document and dessiminate the guidelines. And then a whole big bunch of CHICKEN CHECKERS. Kinda like corporate Amercia. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

In a way I can see this as being a good thing for the younger service members. I've seen a lot of tattoos in very visable areas that may not be helpful to the individual after they get out of the service - for example - Neck - above the collar & hands

There is a program in California that pays for people who can not afford it to get tattoos (in normally visable areas; like above) removed because they become a hinderance when people go for job interviews.

I have a small tattoo but I don't have a desire to get another one.

Given the shortages of supplies and equipment, maybe they should just have the grunts tattooed with a camouflage design and send them into battle naked. :mad: :(

Grumpy

Don't know what other think... but I think that this tattoo stuff has gone overboard...

Take a look at some of the athletes today... they have gone from 'tribal bands' (a term I did not even know until a few months ago)... to a complete flame or whatever down the arm... many have tattoos competing for space on the arm... not much real estate left to put something else on... I saw one guy at the gym with some kind of 'wing formation' all the way down his back... looked HORRIBLE...

And the Mike Tyson face crap is even worse... don't get me started on all the metal crap coming off the kids...

Don't know if I would trust our country's safety to a NON-TATTOOED Marine..................... :D :D

What's next? Will they put restrictions on the use of grillz? :LOL:

An executive at work is former navy enlisted. Has a big tat on his forearm, very weird when he wears a polo.

oh, for those not up on hip hop culture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grill_(jewelry)

http://www.mrbling.com/

A lot of the women in my BEQ were getting tattoos back when I was in the Nav. Rosebuds, little turtles, things like that -- all in (relatively) private places.

I was just a little bit tempted, if only to bug my parents even more than they already were, but am glad I didn't take the leap.

That rosebud's gotta be a long-stemmed beauty now, some 30 years later. :D

Slowly yet surely, however, tattoos are going the way of beards & moustaches.

Admiral Zumwalt, where are you when we need you?

Had I not had a birthmark I'm sure I would have had a tattoo by the time I was 25.

I've seen young kids with face and neck tattoos and I worry that they have type cast themselves for the rest of their lives in the form of low paying jobs.

If the females must be inspected for tattoos, I'll do it. Somebody has to.

Oh yea, what fun!
There’ll be levels of bureaucracy set up to verify the meaning and significance of tattoos whose meaning and significance aren’t readily apparent. After all, someone might have a tattoo that means nothing to the average joe but actually expresses something that might hurt someone’s feelings. Some enigmatic tattoos might express gang or other violent group or subculture affiliation – and unfortunately, this is really true.

Imagine trying to figure out what all the tattoos mean. You can’t necessarily go by what their wearers say they mean. Unless you believe that the guys and gals with Chinese or Japanese characters tattooed on them have engaged in deep study of Asian languages and culture. I had no idea America’s youth were becoming so knowledgeable about Asia until I started seeing them with deep meaningful philosophical statements tattooed on them in Chinese.
But seriously, who gets a tattoo written in a language they do not speak, understand, read, or write, and probably never will? From a culture about which they know didley?

See http://www.zug.com/pranks/tattoo/ for an unkind and hilarious prank story – I ran across that link when I googled looking for this link to share some interesting Chinese mistakes folks have had tattooed onto them: http://www.hanzismatter.com/

I think this is an example of the generation gap where the the elders try to impose their standards on the youth. Is it a good thing? Well it has been going on for centuries. This is just a more visible example of it.

In most of my military and corporate life, I tried to do things that impressed the management, including appearances. I did not however aspire to think like them.

kcowan said:
In most of my military and corporate life, I tried to do things that impressed the management, including appearances. I did not however aspire to think like them.

In other words kissing "A" without being one?

As a former recruiter for the USNR not so long ago (1999-2005) - we had to have the MD performing the physical sketch/describe the applicant's tattoos in DETAIL- think this started in '04. More than 5 were prohibited - and NOT waiverable - even if the person had gotten them when he had been on active duty previously - less than five were waiverable, as long as not gang relates, offensive, or in certain visible areas. They have just tightened the requirements (visible in PT gear!:confused:) - but, there have been rumblings about this coming for a few years now. Many of their tattoos had to be photographed in order to get them approved. Was a ROYAL PAIN! This also disqualifies a lot of individuals from joining (and we need all the volunteers we can get!)

Fireup2025 said:
Many of their tattoos had to be photographed in order to get them approved. Was a ROYAL PAIN! This also disqualifies a lot of individuals from joining (and we need all the volunteers we can get!)
Maybe I should start a thread on reason #268 that the draft won't be coming back. I don't think the tattoo parlors could handle the crush of business...

One of our new black belts (after nearly four years' training) at tae kwon do is the eldest of four kids, 5'9" & still growing, 130 pounds of Samoan whup ass... and just turned 14 years old. She's a freshman who's been doing JROTC at her high school, including the leadership camps that the military bases put on during school breaks. She bleeds Marine Corps camouflage and is only interested in attending colleges with a Marine ROTC program-- or the Naval Academy. I kidded her about the new tattoo policy and she was highly indignant anyone would even think that she'd mark up her body like that. Chesty Puller is gonna be proud of this one...

Dex
There is a program in California that pays for people who can not afford it to get tattoos (in normally visable areas; like above) removed because they become a hinderance when people go for job interviews.

My sister worked for the County in California a few years ago, and she spoke of this program. Her take was that the tattoos were being removed from gang members who no longer wanted to be gang members, but who couldn’t afford to have their tattoos removed. The program also supported them looking for work, and removing that tattoo for free was the County’s effort in finding them employment (!)

Texas proud
not much real estate left to put something else on... I saw one guy at the gym with some kind of 'wing formation' all the way down his back...

Yes! Like the people here at our pool in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

Helen
I've seen young kids with face and neck tattoos and I worry that they have type cast themselves for the rest of their lives in the form of low paying jobs.

I just read in the Bangkok Post the other day where corporations had to reconsider their dress codes to include body art. Anything nebulous in the code gave permission for the new generation to come in pierced and tattooed to the hilt.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Billy said:
I just read in the Bangkok Post the other day where corporations had to reconsider their dress codes to include body art. Anything nebulous in the code gave permission for the new generation to come in pierced and tattooed to the hilt.
Akaisha

I think that one will change if there was high unemployment. But that is another topic.

Dex:
I think that one will change if there was high unemployment. But that is another topic.

Could be!

We're here in Thailand and so we get SE Asian Cable stations in our hotel room. We watch an Aussie program about inventions being made by the local folk. (really cool show 8) ) And one of the judges is this young man with pierced eyebrows. I mean this show isn't a show biz show, or an American Idol or Hollywood anything-for-attention show. It's fun, but fairly serious too.

They rate the inventions on if there is a market for it, if it benefits the public, how unique an idea it is, affordability and so on.

So there you have it, a TV 'semi-respectable' product judge with piercings.

Be well,
Akaisha

Back
Top Bottom