Any Musicians or Musicians becoming out there?

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was wondering if any of you play a musical instrument. I have been playing a Guitar for about 30 years. Mainly just plinking around with an Acoustic. A couple of years ago I began playing an electric... DW has not complained too much. My inventory is listed below.

- Larrivee D03 Acoustic
- Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cut (Electric)
- Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)... Low cost, but it plays well
- Fender Hotrod deluxe 40W tube amp.

I have picked up my playing lately. I am improving quite a bit... Of course, after 30 years I should have learned a little. ;)

I started university (in 1966) as a "secret music major", majoring in classical piano. When my parents noticed that on my report card they gave me an ultimatum, I was furious, and I haven't really played an instrument seriously since.

BUT - - the other day Frank took me into a music store, and I was completely enthralled with the Yamaha electric pianos. They sound and feel just like real ones but have all the bells and whistles (and earphones if desired). Although I don't have time for much due to work right now, I am thinking of taking up piano again during ER.

black MexiStrat with maple fretboard
red AmeriStrat with ebony fretboard
ebony SG
blue Ibanez Artcore with Gretsch-style tremelo
black First Act bass (don't laugh, cost $40)
Takamine acoustic-electric
Conrad acoustic
Carvin 60w 1-12 combo
Hendrix Crybaby, Morley wah, Digitech Supra Distortion, Boss Flanger, Digitech digital delay

I started playing guitar in college and have kept it up at varying levels of intensity ever since. I play for my church, where I enjoy the challenges of keeping up with a wide variety of musical styles (rock, gospel, funk, latin, boring hymns & choruses :D, etc.). It's been a very enjoyable and fulfilling hobby of mine that I hope to build upon in retirement with lessons, more guitars, and more frequent playing. But that's 18 years and 5 college tuitions down the road for me. Until then, I fumble along as best I can with what I've got.

My equipment list:

Alvarez Yairi DY-84c acoustic 6-string
Ovation Legend acoustic 12-string
G&L S-500 electric 6-string w/single coils
Schecter C-1 Artist edition 6-string w/humbuckers
Digitech GNX3000 multi-effects pedal board

Go for it, WantToRetire! My piano (for gigs) is a Yamaha P90. Had a clavinova before that. Advantages of electric pianos:

Excellent sound quality

Never need tuning

Can use headphones, practice anytime

Easy to move

Not affected by temp, humidity

Extra voices to make things more interesting

Can record your playing so you can hear exactly what you sound like

Can record any play back at faster speed (find out how it will sound when you get better at a piece)

Can download and play songs from the Internet

I've been playing guitar on and off for years. I am not very good but am still improving. I have a late 70s Takamine F-360S (lawsuit model) and a newer Martin OM-15. I enjoy country blues and old-time music.

Check out Music Moose for free online guitar, fiddle, mandolin, banjo, dobro, and harmonica lessons. Their focus is on bluegrass but they offer some blues and jazz as well. I just started on Banjo and their lessons are excellent.

violin and viola, here. Mostly classical stuff, keeps me sane a lot of the time.
The rest of the time I've learned to live with insanity... :LOL:

i have a couple of these
stick.jpg

they are a lot of fun to play. you can see a couple of interesting
short video/audio clips at...
here..

MH - That's kinda cool. A bass and a guitar at the same time.

JB - Thanks for the tip on Music Moose.

Been playing and singing badly for 40+ years, currently own a Taylor 814CE and a Fender American Strat. I have played in public and take requests but usually keep on playing anyways. ::)

frayne said:
Been playing and singing badly for 40+ years, currently own a Taylor 814CE and a Fender American Strat. I have played in public and take requests but usually keep on playing anyways. ::)

Freebird... :p

049.gif

210.gif

Fun...worlds collide.

'68 Telecaster
'99 PRS McCarty Soapbar (goldtop)
'03 Martin D-18 GE
'68 Champ
'74 Vibrolux Reverb
'73 Princeton Reverb
'78 Musicmaster Bass Amp
TS-9 Tube Screamer
Cry Baby

Fun Stuff. I'd rather look at most of it than play it sadly. Two kids under 5 has turned most of this into idle dust collectors. I'm not that good anyway.

devo O0

Started classical guitar lessons 2 months ago. practice 2-3 hours/day in 2 sessions. Love it.

Alvarez MC90, plus owner-supplied articulating appendages ;).

mh said:
i have a couple of these
they are a lot of fun to play. you can see a couple of interesting
short video/audio clips at...
here..

MH,
Have you heard Charlie Hunter?

http://www.charliehunter.com/

Doesn't play the stick, but does play a combination guitar/bass...I've forgotten who makes his instruments. Pretty talented guy though. Very ambitious you are!
devo
O0

piano, accordion, and fiddle (pretty rough still on the fiddle, though)

devo said:
MH,
Have you heard Charlie Hunter?

http://www.charliehunter.com/

Doesn't play the stick, but does play a combination guitar/bass...I've forgotten who makes his instruments. Pretty talented guy though. Very ambitious you are!
devo
O0

I've heard him. Good stuff. I'm hoping once i FIRE
(shooting for a couple of years from now). That i can really
focus on the stick for a while and get to where i'm
comfortable playing playing out with some regularity.

Been playing guitar about 17 years...well, a little more if you count the plunking around I did in the 70's. I've owned a couple or so, but now have just one, a '92 Martin D-35 that I bought new in '92 in Austin TX at the same place Stevie Ray Vaughn did business, Heart Of Texas Music.

Marty

I have been working on my Blues Guitar techniques for the last few months. It is really satisfying to experience some improvement. I like to play folk, rock, and blues.

What style of music do you play?

Back
Top Bottom