Wanted: Easy Web Page Editor For Dummies

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have a friend who wants to create a very simple web page for her business. She's very non-technical and pretty computer illiterate (the business is for teaching meditation).

Any free or cheap software that would make it pretty easy for her to do it herself?

try NVU, its a little dated but sounds perfect for her. Ill be back with a url.

nvu was the first thing that jumped to my mind, but I haven't touched it in a couple of years at least. I suggested it to someone in a similar situation. It looks like it hasn't been updated since 2005.

MS FrontPage was designed for this purpose and may be on her machine already with certain versions of MS Office. Otherwise it'll cost. I haven't used it since the early days and hated it then, but it's been quite a few years and presumably there are improvements. Hmmm, it looks like the FrontPage brand has been discontinued with similar function being picked up by the SharePoint tools or MS Expression.

SeaMonkey (descendant of Netscape suite and Mozilla suite) has a composer that should be easy to use. Again, haven't used it since Netscape 4.7 I think.

Amaya is a browser/editor combo that's been around a long time and apparently is up-to-date. I haven't used it in a few years, but it was a bit awkward for me and may not be the thing unless they've changed a lot about it.

I'd be a bit surprised if there aren't several free online editors (besides those tied exclusively to their host sites), but I haven't checked into them and wonder if they'd be easy to manage the files with.

EDIT: Even though nvu is a couple of years old I'd probably start with it or SeaMonkey given my past experience, the "dummy" moniker and their cost (free).

HFWR said:
I believe you can save MSWord files in html format.

D'oh! Sometimes I miss the simple stuff. Correct, in Word 97 and later you can save as or export to HTML. So can PowerPoint. (And Excel and the others.)

OpenOffice.org can do the same. Probably any fairly recent word processor can.

Also, depending on where she's getting get site hosted there probably will be an online editor with selectable templates she can use.

Thanks, just what I needed.

In MS Word, use the web page template to get started, change the format, background (format - theme) save as Web Page -- not single file

Nvu is still pretty good. Word sucks -- the html is non-standard and fairly weird if IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom