For the "still employed" - how do you feel about your job

What do you think about your job?

• Love it - can't believe they pay me to do this!

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I do like my occupation

Votes: 54 42.9%
  • Just here to pay the bills

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • Wish I had another career

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • Rather be dead

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have noticed a few people make comments that run the gamut regarding job satisfaction. Tell us what you really think! I managed to get lucky and life has steered me towards a personally rewarding career - whew! I see so many folks who are simply putting in their time at work - to pay the bills to get by...very few on track to FIRE. I hope our crowd here is more satisfied than them 8)

I like MPOW, even when I spend the day beating my head against the wall getting our new report generator to behave in the manner I think it should (as I did today), and helping the boss with misc. tech support stuff. I can't believe I get paid to be surrounded by books and college students all day. :) People typically retire from here, and I fully expect to do the same (though somewhat younger than most of my colleagues have!). The goal is to get my boss' job when he retires (lib. director), stay there for 5-10 years, and split before I forget what it was like to be on the front lines and/or the higher-ups try to lure me into the higher levels of administration.

How about an option to see the results without voting?
8)

I don't hate my job, actually I feel that the company I work for is one of the better ones out there today. However, the big issue for me is I feel done. I don't want to get up every day and waste my time sitting in an office processing numbers and killing an infinite number of trees to produce my financial reports. I don't think it would matter what the job was or which company it was at, I am just mentally tired and ready for this part of my life to be over.

I enjoy my job. I just hate the idiots that I work with. :LOL: Seriously, I am a commissioned salesmen with alot of freedom. I set my own schedule and am paid very, very well. My customers are great and I have been in the business for almost 20 years. The company I work for is the leader in our industry and very financially stable. So I am is in a very comfortable rut. Fortunately, if things go as planned, in 5-7 more years I can tell em to piss off, permanently. Just a few weeks ago I was really pissed off and was thinking of quiting. I even went and interviewed witha few of my competitors. One of them made me a very strong offer. I haven't accepted, at least not yet. But if the corporate lackeys keep pushing my buttons, I do have an excellent back up plan. Fortunatley, I do have what I call "screw you" money. In the form of liquid assets in taxable accounts that I can use at any time if needed. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it sure is nice to have.

My job isinteresting, stimulating, very lucrative, and exhausting.

I always cringe when I read folks describing here what some upper management type did to them because I've been in upper management ever since I can remember. I work with a great group of people. After reading what y'all write though, I'm not sure they feel the same way about me.

Nevertheless, I love my job and can't believe they pay me so much to do what I do.

Funny thing is I have had many 'jobs' working for the same company...

A long time ago, I had the best job for me... loved it. Worked very hard all day, but it was good.... bad management who were all workaholics and kept trying to get me to be one... had to leave

Did a short stint on an OK job...

Then got one for a short term over in London... LOVED IT... got a few great raises and was 'management'.... the contract ended and it was over...

Did a stint in NY... it was a good job, worked hard again, but not 'the best'... so eventually got moved back home...

Was doing something that was a bit 'important' for a couple of years... but then a merger...

NOW, I am doing a very low level job... funny thing is I could be doing the job 4 levels above me... so I am very bored. However, I don't want to move to NY to climb the ladder as I only want to work maybe 5 more years... so, I just suck it up and get my paycheck...

don't have my job but just hating wasting my life in the office; rather do others thing and i do count my years to retirement, yup just another 25 years to go.

enuff

I think most people lurking around this board have already shown their hand. They are thinking about the exit.

i would guess that most of the folks on this board are NOT too crazy about their job??

enuff

I do like what I do BUT after crossing over into FI this year, I wonder "how long do I want to stay and run up the score?" ::)

Hillbilly

Enuff2Eat said:
i would guess that most of the folks on this board are NOT too crazy about their job??
They could be like me -- I love my profession, but also don't want to be trapped within a particular job within that profession because I need the money.

I think I needed another category that would be something like "Wish I could retire tomorrow; but I can't believe they pay me for doing this". I think I'm "lucky" in that what I do for MegaCorp is needed (at least in the US) - most people would rather have a root canal done than do what I do because they think it is a difficult area (requires the ability to think as a lawyer/engineer/regulator, and you have to like to read fine print and regulations). Yet, it is not really difficult and I've built up quite a bit of "expertize" in the area. I get to set my own schedule and people actually "wait" for me to be free for calls, meetings, and so forth. I'm pretty sure if I were to retire tomorrow, MegaCorp would hire me back as a consultant in a heartbeat :p. I don't really want to do that after I leave, which is why if frequent this board ;).

My job is not bad but I wouldn't be there if I wasn't getting paid. :) I really have it pretty easy as I'm a manager and have some really good employees. I just tell them what needs to be done and they take care of it. I may do an hour or two of paperwork a day and that's about it. The problem is I still have to show up. I'm planning on leaving July 1st, unless I get invited to play in a golf pro-am like last year. Then I'll stay alittle longer. It's easy money but I'll be 50 soon and I'm starting to realize I only have so many summers left in my life.

dm said:
I really have it pretty easy as I'm a manager and have some really good employees. I just tell them what needs to be done and they take care of it.

Can I have your job when you're finished with it?

:D

I work as an Executive Assistant in a Pharmaceutical company and it is an absolute blast! I cannot believe I get paid for what I do.....and every day is different which is a great thing for me. The guy I support is totally cool and so is the rest of the department which makes a major difference. I am perfectly happy coasting along for a bit and building up my pension, 401K, and my savings.
Plus, I get really cool perks like going on business trips, working from home, and solid raises.

However, I cannot wait for the morning when I don't have to set the alarm and can get up whenever I feel like.

My MegeCorp job is getting exponentially worse. People are dropping like flies...we're going through a restructuring, and the new GM they brought in is the most arrogant, self-serving, aggressive, idealistic and "Joe Guido" type ******* I've ever met. He speak of team-building, but treats his team members as adversaries. He speaks of goal-setting, continuous improvement, accountability and dialogue, but publicly rips you a new one when you question his ideas or directions. The entire staff is demoralized, fear-ridden and many are leaving in droves. Lawsuits are continuing due to employee health problems caused by stress and high blood pressure, etc. The nicest, most talented people are leaving first, with the work falling on those who remain. They are not hiring to replace those who leave. I used to love my job and the people I work with...not sure how long I can hold out, but I have a nice office, get 5 weeks off and am drawing a decent salary. It's amazing how one idiot can change the whole place for the worse.

kjpliny said:
My MegeCorp job is getting exponentially worse. People are dropping like flies...we're going through a restructuring, and the new GM they brought in is the most arrogant, self-serving, aggressive, idealistic and "Joe Guido" type ******* I've ever met. He speak of team-building, but treats his team members as adversaries. He speaks of goal-setting, continuous improvement, accountability and dialogue, but publicly rips you a new one when you question his ideas or directions. The entire staff is demoralized, fear-ridden and many are leaving in droves. Lawsuits are continuing due to employee health problems caused by stress and high blood pressure, etc. The nicest, most talented people are leaving first, with the work falling on those who remain. They are not hiring to replace those who leave. I used to love my job and the people I work with...not sure how long I can hold out, but I have a nice office, get 5 weeks off and am drawing a decent salary. It's amazing how one idiot can change the whole place for the worse.

don't envy you at all. i thank god everyday for my job, just the part of showing up to work is difficult especially when the weather is nice or even worse when the weather is bad too... :)

kjpliny said:

When they bring someone in to shake things up... That is what happens, people get shook up. I have a boss that is the same way. It is even worse if the change agent is off-base. He sounds kinda like a chain-saw Al personality. All hatchet no compassion!

I would retire tomorrow if we were FI, but since we aren't quite there yet, I'll drag on in there. It's not that I hate the work or the workplace; I'm just over it and don't want to do that anymore. Too much time spent away from the house, and too many things that I wasn't able to do because I had to be at work. Even if they sent roses and chocolates everyday, I would still rather be at home or some other wonderful place of my choosing.

Given that I need a job, the one I have is about the best one I can think of, for me. So I think I have a great job, as jobs go, but I'll be out as soon as I have a big enough stash.

Since health benefits aren't included when I quit, I'm hanging in there for another year to build assets and increase pension. I agree the boss can make a huge difference. Unfortunately same old story here, new boss who doesn't know what she is doing. She's a real loser. So the plan is next year,... but that could change at any time. :-\

If I'd had any viable job skills, or a trade, I would never have wound up in prisons. 7 years ago it was not too bad an agency to work for. But budgetary restrictions, scarily low staffing, and changes in the attitudes of the inmate population have made this a very unpleasant environment to work in. I sometimes wonder how much of that is due to an increasing "short-timer's attitude". This is definitely not the Bureau that I joined 22 years ago. But I'm here, well paid, and have a nice little pension coming soon. Guess I'll stick it out.

Although I have calculated the earliest possible date I could "not return" and still get my pension. It brings me in with under a year to go, if I were to get totally fed up and disgusted.

Back
Top Bottom