Short-term bond fund or CD in retirment account?

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In about a week, I'll want to choose either a short-term bond fund or a CD for my retirement portfolio. The 6 month CD pays 5.06 APY. The bond fund is an ETF (CSJ)and is currently yielding 4.84%. Any ideas of the best way to go on this?

depends if you think rates are more likely to drop then rise?

if you tyhink drop go for the bond fund

As long as you don't need the funds for 6 months, take the higher yield and guaranteed principal of the CD.

If only all investment decisions were so easy. :)

Why not a money market fund paying 5.1% or more?
My spouse purchased a 3 month CD paying 5.2%. The extra 0.1% interest might make her another $20. Hardly worth thinking about. It probably does not matter what you do unless the amount is tens of thousands of dollars.

If you are subject to state income taxes, I would also consider a 6 month t bill, which would be exempt from stsale and local income tax.

LOL! said:
Hardly worth thinking about. It probably does not matter what you do unless the amount is tens of thousands of dollars.

Well, there still is the $283, 000+ that was handed over to me.

If you are messing with $283K, then you had better be getting better than 5.1% interest rate on it. Why are the two choices you presented so dismal?

LOL! said:
If you are messing with $283K, then you had better be getting better than 5.1% interest rate on it. Why are the two choices you presented so dismal?

Whoops, LOL. That money doesn't really belong to me--apparently some REALLY, REALLY jealous people (actually some helpful, well-grounded people) on the board have suggested how to handle the situation and moving to Estonia is no longer a viable option. Sorry about the confusion, LOL. But, you know, trying to return it has become a chore.

Actually, for the short-term bond fund vs. the CD I'm talking about $40K.

Vanguard quotes 5.25% for a 3 month CD and 5.2% for a 6 month CD. Their mm fund pays 5.1%. I must admit that we have some cash sitting in lower paying mm funds, but it needs to be available for deployment.

OTOH, 0.25% extra interest on $40K for 6 months is just $50.

But if this pushes you over the edge and makes you transfer your retirement account to VG, it could be a good thing.

LOL! said:
Vanguard quotes 5.25% for a 3 month CD and 5.2% for a 6 month CD. Their mm fund pays 5.1%. I must admit that we have some cash sitting in lower paying mm funds, but it needs to be available for deployment.

OTOH, 0.25% extra interest on $40K for 6 months is just $50.

But if this pushes you over the edge and makes you transfer your retirement account to VG, it could be a good thing.

Thanks, LOL...
I appreciate the helpful information.

Re: Short-term bond fund or CD in retirement account?

I have opted for the Vanguard ST Bond index fund for half of my Cushon Fund (most call it the emergency fund). This gives me the flexability that I require (if I need to pull it out today I can sell it and direct the funds to my PMMF and write a check). It also gives me an opportuinity to possibly receive a bit better return (with some risk) than the PMMF. I do not believe that a CD gives these things.

the equivalent APY on VMMP is about 5.23%; on V ST Corp, about 5.18%. 6 mo CDs are available at >5.4% (see http://bankdeals.blogspot.com/ ) if the time horizon is truly 6 months, i'd shy away from ST bonds funds, but would favour it for longer time frames.

Back
Top Bottom