Suggestions for my trip to Montreal tomorrow?

SLC Tortfeasor

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm visiting Montreal for the first time tomorrow. I'm tagging along while my fiance is there on business. I'll be there through Sunday.

Have any tips or suggestions for things for me to see or do?

Visiting Old Montreal is a must.

Enjoy some pastries in Little Italy. There's a good Italian restaurant across the street from the pastry shop. Can't remember the name, but I think it's in a corner spot. Little Italy is really little, so you can't miss it.

Visit Notre-Dame Basilica. You can take your honey on a horse-drawn carriage ride that starts across the street from the basilica. IIRC, they have a short tour and a long tour around town.

Other places to visit include St Joseph Oratory, the Biodome, Olympic Park, and don't forget to take a stroll down St. Catherine Street.

There was a good place for breakfast when I went there last time. It had "eggs" in the name, but I can't remember right now.

For a treat at night, have dessert at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel. It's a little expensive, but worth a one-time visit.

Make sure you dine at Gibbys restaurant in Old Montreal. It is a bit pricey but offers great steaks in a wonderful ambiance.

Great jazz clubs in Old Montreal as well.

As for Chez Paree I wouldn't recommended visiting with your fiance.......

Thanks guys.

Oh, non sequitur: I clicked your link on my office computer. Not good. ::)

SLC Tortfeasor said:
Thanks guys.

Oh, non sequitur: I clicked your link on my office computer. Not good. ::)

I'm sorry. I was really trying to help. I have pleasant memories. :-[

Mon dieu, ou commencer?

Check out the Tourisme Montreal website for tons of info.

All of the above suggestions, plus......

While you will miss the Jazz Festival or the Just for Laughs comedy festival, there is never a shortage of cultural activities. For example, if you like to see actors or dancers in action, there are public rehearsals at Place des Arts.

There are hundreds of gourmet restaurants in Montreal, many in the undiscovered banlieues (suburbs). Two examples I can vouch for are Restaurant YoYo and Le Poisson Rouge.

If you don't mind getting wet, try jetboating on the Lachine Rapids.

If you like funky architecture, check out Habitat 67 and the bucky ball at the Expo 67 pavilion: this year is the 40th anniversary.

And don't forget to buy Montreal bagels at St. Viateur Bagel, and to have a Montreal smoked meat sandwich before you go home.

Bon voyage!

The Botanical Gardens (especially the Chinese and Japanese areas) are wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom