Does your doggy do day care?

happy2bretired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My daughter and I are leaving on an Alaskan cruise later this month. We have been visiting a local kennel to prepare our 1 year old Maddie for her first sleep over (13 days :'(). Maddie went to doggy day care one day last week and enjoyed a one mile walk and a short play session with another small dog as well as just laying around all day in her quarters. On another short visit to the kennel, she enjoyed (I hope) a half day of play with what ever dogs they put in the outside pen with her. They have several activities that she can particiapte in...all of which cost extra, but, it seems to be a very nice kennel.

What experiences have you all had with boarding your dogs?

We have had our dogs in kennels from time to time. I think it is tough on dogs to be in a kennel more than a couple of weeks at most. Even when kennels are nice they are still stressful environments.

Our standard poodle always did just fine at the kennel. Great fun! Play! I'm the man!

The weiner dogs really did not do well and would cower in the back of their cage.

When our kids were young we needed to kennel our dog during a vacation. During that same time my brother's family needed to kennel their dog for their vacation. His dog stopped eating. When we heard about that I suggested to the kennel that they try putting both dogs in the same enclosure as they had played together in the past. Problem solved. There was no way his dog would let our dog finish his bowl! The two were content together and when released to play chased around like puppies.

So, if your dog has a 'buddy' see if his friend might also be interested in sleep-over camp.

My brother runs a doggy day-care business and he's always looking for good ideas. Keep 'em coming!

My friend has this business,and I am very lucky to have been able to bring my two Aussies there for a number of years. Her business is growing by leaps and bounds and a lot of it is by recommendations from myself and her other customers.

If it wasn't for this doggie day care we use we would never go any where..
our two Aussie go to her house and she caters to all kinds of dogs, she screens them all, and won't accept any that she feels will cause a problem.
She also trained most of the dogs and we feel completly safe with them being there.

They have the freedom to run around and they are not put in kennels or gages. They all have to bring their shot records and have them up to date. the dogs have the run of the yard during the day and she brings them in at night, or closes them off to a certain area out side . She also has an area for small, and large ones she try's to set them together personality wise..and it works very well. A lot of the dogs have been going there for many years and they all know each other so it is like a big doggy play ground. Also when she speaks to them they all listen to her if they get a little wild she is right there in effect she is the "top" dog. It is fun to watch her in action with all these dogs and sometimes there might be 15 or 20 at any given day....

Kathyet

Kathyet, that is the type of day care Maddie will stay at. I just wish there was more extra play times included with the overnight boarding rate. All the good times (play dates, walks, swimming and free for alls) all cost extra. But, Maddie is worth it so she will get a few extras thrown in. It's so much fun when I drop Maddie off at day care. So many different kinds and sizes of spoiled rotten dogs. :D

LOL - I remember having to board my prima donna house dog (basset/lab mix) I dropped her off with her comforter, bowl, and stuffed animals. I let the owners know she was pathetically spoiled (treated as a short person vs. a "dog") - and they were nice enough to put her close to the heater :) (winter in NJ can be rather cold) since she was used to sleeping in my bed. The extras do sound nice for your four legged furry child!

Back
Top Bottom