Good Evening

ambient_ergot

Confused about dryer sheets
Hey all,

I recently finished undergrad and faced the prospect of paying all my bills and entering the workforce, so I thought I should at least know how to properly manage my finances. After checking out The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need by Andrew Tobias and A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel from the local public library, I decided that, armed with some basic knowledge of personal finance, retiring very early should be possible as long as I handle myself okay and keep up my frugal tendencies. To no avail, I urged a few of my friends to spend the time to read some similar books, though one did read the first 30 pages of one. I've already found that talking about retirement funds and especially FIRE is not a good idea with the vast majority of people, friends or family.

Searching for "retire early" on the internet to find advice for my goals brought me here, and by now I've read through thousands of posts and feel much wiser for the time I've spent reading, and I know that FIRE does not stand for "F*** It and Retire Early" as I originally assumed.

At this point I'm 23 with student loans to repay and $3000 in a Roth IRA at Vanguard, and I'm very grateful to have found this vast resource. Hello, and thank you.

Last edited:
Welcome to the board, Ambient... but with a poster name like yours, do we really want to know what your degree is in?!?

LOL Nords, it's in neuroscience, though I spent a year part-time working in plant pathology.

Back
Top Bottom