electric fireplaces

runnerr

Recycles dryer sheets
I know a strange subject for the summertime, does anyone use or have an electric fireplace? Are they any good?

The electric company sure likes them. I looked at these a couple of times.

Plusses:

You can put them anywhere
Not that expensive
Easy to install
Take it with you when you move

Minuses

Dont throw much heat, no more than an oil filled electric radiator
"flame" looks kinda fake
Can be a bit of a fire hazard but certainly less than a regular fireplace
Really sucks down the electricity

We put one in a game room we are building (still) primarily for decor vs heat although it kicks out a little. If you want a serious heater they have some hardwire types that throw quite a blast.
The flame in this model (Dimplex) has many variations and a remote. In the picture the flame is off, but the coals appear to be glowing. This type is actually quite convincing. Running only the flame is the equiv of a couple of light bulbs. The 1500 watt heater doubles that. No big deal, but no big heat either. We built it so we could switch to gas/propane if we are so inclined. We also plan to install electric baseboard heat in case we need an added boost.
img_521782_0_f86f2eb3d4dcf8828673867f0a39ea33.jpg

We like our electric fireplace......

Runnerr, we have one and really like it. The flame looks real in the one we have and it comes with a remote control. We bought an old mantle from demolished home and boxed it in.
What I really like about it is that I don't have to chop and split firewood, don't have to bring in wood that is full of bugs, dirt etc.
In fact we will be moving ours next week to an opposite wall. Another benefit. Bottom line is that we are really pleased with the purchase and have enjoyed it so far.

We bought one last year for our sunroom, gets a little chilly on really cold days. We use a small electric heater to take the chill off so buying an electric fireplace fit the bill. We purchased the one that looks like a stand alone cast iron stove and love it. We host Xmass eve with family and friends, they all thought we'd installed a real stove until they took a really close look. The room is only 14 X 14 so it doesn't take much to bring up the temp.

I like the stone...what is it?
It's actually an Italian tile. Not quite the design we wanted due to a major fiasco with the tile company which impacted the fireplace and bathroom.
Bottom line: If you are using exotic tile make sure the seller gives you the right amount and has a reasonable backup supply should you need more.

An already well known line of thought...I'm redoing both of my fireplaces with a really nice marble tile, and I bought about twice as much of it as i'm going to need...just in case.

Fortunately it didnt cost me much to overload...costco was dumping the stuff for $1.50 a tile.

I like that wood inlay in the floor between the carpet and the tile...is that purely decorative or is it performing as a transition 'strip'...in other words, are the carpet and tile butted to it or was the wood routed to overlay the edge of the carpet and tile...?

Crap, now I have something else to do... :p

I like that wood inlay in the floor between the carpet and the tile...is that purely decorative or is it performing as a transition 'strip'...in other words, are the carpet and tile butted to it or was the wood routed to overlay the edge of the carpet and tile...?

:p
The wood is actually tile. The bigger tile places have some that cannot be told from wood. When I first saw it in the store I had to get down and give it the -tap-tap- test. The darker stuff is the most convincing. This is a rustic/rough wood look, they have not mastered the smooth shiney look yet.
I have only seen it in the narrow strips, so its use is really limited to accent strips or dividers.
If you are doing a bath/shower, I can give you some tile tips (horror stories) for that project also,

Ah, the "wood look tile"...tough to tell in a photo.

I just did a major bath/tile renovation...real major.

The flame in this model (Dimplex) has many variations and a remote. In the picture the flame is off, but the coals appear to be glowing. This type is actually quite convincing.

I agree, I looked at one of Dimplex's newest models today and was impressed on how much it looked like the real thing. Pretty neat!

Back
Top Bottom