Anyone else feel like we should skip antagonistic threads?

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Seems like we have a lot of threads that start off with politically charged, racist or other highly sensitive topics. While I've never minded a little meandering into sensitive areas, I wonder how beneficial a thread is where everyone is going to get upset and nobody is likely to change their position on a matter.

What is the point of only talking about things that people agree on?

I don't participate in the political discussions here. If I need [-]to bang myself on the head with a hammer[/-] talk politics I'll go to a political forum.

Other Topics is for these kind of discussions. In the past day or two there was talk about Iran and Iraq. There was a discussion of our relationship with Russia. Paris Hilton gets dinged. There was a wilding (as HaHa put it) of obese people. A few days ago there was a discussion of illegals driving drunk. What clearly went over the edge in my mind was starting yet a new thread on drunk driving by Mexicans. So I removed that thread.

This was actually meant to be a poll, intended to suggest that we add a little verbiage to the "reasonable person principle" basis of the forum. Unfortunately, a 2.25 year old absconded with my laptop, changed the names of several executables, and subsequently got a bath cuz I have to run out the door with him and pick up my dog from the orthopedic surgeon.

Since its been expressed that there will be little dissent on the matter, can we make it an informal suggestion that we not START posts specifically in areas that have very little linkage to early retirement, have a strong potential to be inflammatory in nature, and dont really add much to the cohesiveness of this happy go lucky group of early retirees/retiree hopefuls?

And that if thats all someone really wants to talk about, that they take a hike?

Seems to me we wear each other a little thin on the "bad" threads and then have a lot less patience for each other in the "good" threads.

I dont think this needs a lot of definition and i'm not looking to see heavier handed moderation or censorship. Some topics cant be discussed without some political/religious/sexual/goldbug overlap.

Reasonable person. If you wouldnt feel comfortable starting a conversation about the topic in a coffee shop with 10 stranger, at least one of which looks like he might punch you in the nose if you upset him...dont do it.

Oh yeah, and can I have more than a 100 PM limit? And can we paint this place a warmer color? A new microwave in the rec room would be nice. And who the hell is buying the coffee? This stuff is rank!

I've actually become a little disgusted with some of the threads started in this forum. Starting a thread which pokes fun at the morbidly obese with racial references and stereotypes is not my idea of fun! :( Starting OBSESSIVE threads about Mexicans is not my idea of fun either. Being of Mexican heritage, I frankly this type of content offensive.

I'm no saint and have certainly crossed the line with some of the content I've posted (i.e. Kathy Bates), but it's become slightly out of control around here. No offense to you Martha or the other moderators around here.

No offense here. I'm not a moderator and if elected, would jump from the nearest tall building before serving.

As far as content, mine is probably the worst. But while the value may be low and the humor not particularly funny sometimes, I do make a little effort to avoid offending people. Theres a big difference between being a doofus and making people feel bad.

Its just that my ignore list has grown to about a dozen and some threads are starting to look funny when all you see is the angry reactions of people whose opinions you DO value.

I totally agree that some of these threads have been too close to the edge. A bit un-called-for IMHO.:eek:

There are tons of FIRE topics that we have yet to explore..

I've used countless forums. I've seen this handled mostly in two ways, which are 1) starting political threads with a title similar to "POLITICAL: Illegal Immigration" or "RELIGION: Pope's Comments on Islam," or 2) have a forum specifically dedicated to political or contentious topics such as religion, politics, or in my neck of the woods, football. :)

That would be a huge relief!
I like CFB's definition of a reasonable person. Maybe it is my southerness, but I would never disagree with someone stridently or intentionally make them feel uncomfortable for their views. I just try to remember I'm still "me" here, not some anon. stranger. I wish others would try to be more like themselves, 'cause I think most people are pretty nice, in person.

I'm starting to dislike posters more and more that I never really found offensive in the past. I think it is the politics. Since when does it do any good to talk politics with people who disagree with you? I remember in my early 20s, this was something we did all the time, to no benefit for anyone. Now I see that you should grow out of this sort of thing to be a functioning adult in reasonable society.

Y'all be nice, like the man says. :)

I vote that we replace all threads relating to politics, race, or the morbidly obesese with those relating to sex.

Do I have a second?

I sympathise with CFB, but I fear this site is a metaphor for the USA. It started with great ideals but has outgrown the clique who started it and nurtured it. It has attracted a lot of interesting folks who made it great, but also a lot of others who are ********s (insert your own insulting epithet). Those who started it are no longer able to control it and can only hope that it evolves under the guidance of the moderators who have limited powers. The problem is that we cannot agree who is a ******** and who is a charming eccentric. There is still a lot that is attractive here but some of the posts are extremely irritating. The simple choice is to stay and accept what you find or leave for pastures new as others have done.
Pandora's box has been opened.

As a relative newbie to this board, I truly enjoy -- and look forward to -- reading nearly every post in nearly every thread about FI and RE as I find them to be very educational. I have already saved quite a bit of $$ by following some of the hints posted (registering at the T Rowe Price site to access the premium content of M*, for example) and I hope to become as safisfied/adroit in my retirement as many of you who have gone before me.

As for the off-topic stuff, I find myself scanning it and occasionally reading it -- and I do agree that some of the posts are harsh in tone, if not outright offensive. I avoid reading most of these -- and must admit that even in the short period of time I've been participating in this forum, there are a few individuals here who I would not want as my next door neighbors!

I'm not an advocate of censorship, but wish folks would use the reasonable person rule. Would you really say face to face some of the stuff that is presented here?? Really??!!! :eek:

Seems like we have a lot of threads that start off with politically charged, racist or other highly sensitive topics. While I've never minded a little meandering into sensitive areas, I wonder how beneficial a thread is where everyone is going to get upset and nobody is likely to change their position on a matter.
"How rude! What a %^&*ed up idea!! I can't believe you have the !@#$ing unmitigated gall to suggest that we might be offended by that stuff!!!"

I'm just kidding. I know that I can make the previous paragraph totally inoffensive to everyone if I add a couple of smiley emoticons.

You (or Gabe, whoever posted that) bring up an interesting controversy. Max and Mike-1 were banned largely for similar behavior in their anti-U.S. rhetoric. (I can't describe their verbiage as "pro-Canadian" out of my respect for the rest of that fine country.) At least two other current posters have been castigated for their apparent CHP-rants but subsequent moderator action was even more impugned. Moderators try to run the board in a manner suggested by poster feedback and the current feeling seems to be that this lowest-common-denominator standard of posting is acceptable. No one's complaining about trolling and indeed many posters are actually responding to those inflammable posts by hurling on buckets of their own fuel.

Racist epithets are pretty straightforward and will be moderated or the posters banned. Politics & "highly sensitive" seem more subjective and may be difficult to handle objectively. Of course I know "objectionable" when I see it, but others may have a different perspective.

I'm not looking for more work, but I think the board would benefit from a "Politics" or a "Rant & Rave" section where the aforementioned CHP-resembling posts could find a home. Or we moderators could edit those types of posts whenever they show up in "Others", and we could tell ranters & ravers to take it to M*'s Politics board or to whatever Greaney's board is doing these days.

You guys let us know what you want to do. If you don't like a post then rate it or start clicking those "Report post" triangles under the avatars.

I thought "Ignore poster" was a great feature all by itself, but I'm even more impressed by the "Moderate poster" tool, where every single one of a member's posts can be queued up for a moderator's approval before being posted to the board...

My 2 cents worth.

When a thread is started or disentigrates to crass (which can still be of value) or too politically insensitive, could a moderator move it to "Other Topics? Many worthwhile topics have 20 great posts before the drop to juvenile humor takes over. I for one appreciate many of the jabs (satire or political comments) and if my skin gets too thin, I can stop reading and ignore the thread for whatever time I choose. Frequently good and sincere posts continue to be added to the OP's concern.

Last edited:
oh geez, i had missed some of the recent bad ones cuz of how i was navigating on the new site - but after i found some mentioned here - i have to say i am really disturbed!

i do think things have gotten increasingly out of hand lately - and i'm concerned that there is such a high level of comfort for such ignorant talk - ie the buttermilk - not exactly a welcome mat fellas...:rolleyes:

when i found this board i really enjoyed the balanced discussions and attempts to share information - once in a while some jokes or ruckus - but maybe it's the economy, war or state of healthcare and folks are stressed out - :cool: but i think we can do better!:angel:

I thought "Ignore poster" was a great feature all by itself, but I'm even more impressed by the "Moderate poster" tool, where every single one of a member's posts can be queued up for a moderator's approval before being posted to the board...

I'm still looking for the setting in our moderator tools that will default the font color for a poster to white.

People neither have to click on the thread, read it or comment on it. IMHO, it is kind of like the boob tube, you can always change channels, turn it off or simply walk away. I believe for the most part we are all adults. Little offends my sensibilities at this point in my life. O0

It's not about disagreement, it's about gratuitous antagonism, shades of racism, and other elements which add nothing positive to the discussion.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Do I have a second?

YES!

Discussion groups go through many phases of growth and change. This one migrated from the "bunch of reasonable folks in a coffee shop" to the "nightclub" stage where with a few bouncers, except for an occasional drunk everyone minds their p's and q's to the next level...and i'm not sure what to call it but I havent seen a lot of luck with the "y'all be nice now" approach. Many boards at this size and volume just ban threads on race, politics and religion.

Of course, you have to go through the "y'all be nice" stage until it becomes obvious that a handful of buttheads have no intention of complying.

Back
Top Bottom