photos from above the arctic circle

bosco

Full time employment: Posting here.
thought I'd post a couple of these for those enduring 90 degrees, and to see if i could do it with the new software

hmmm...don't see the photos

how about this?

Attachments

• inupiat girl.JPG
    inupiat girl.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 10
  • eskimo entertainment.JPG
    eskimo entertainment.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 11
  • kotzebue early June.JPG
    kotzebue early June.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 8
One of my lifetime goals is to drive up the Demster Highway to Inuvik and kayak there or in Tuk. I have planned for this for several years and even have acquired an old Cherokee for the trip. My wife asks me why I want to go there and I show her pictures of vast, open, unspoiled panorama. She usually replies: theres a reason nobody lives there. And she pulls out pictures of Tahiti and Fiji and says: hey if you kayak here you don't die if you fall out, you only see beautiful fish. On our computer I have my travel sites and my wife has hers, her folder is called Warm Places and mine is Cold Places.Still I want to go. As far up as I can, maybe only Churchill, maybe western or northern Alaska. but it is the first trip for my retirement. Maybe Greenland, its easier to get to now. And the one we can agree on is northern Norway since her family lineage is from arctic Norway.

Young hitchhiker!

Is there an official "breakup" date, week or month? I understand there are many parties this time of year...how much does it vary from year to year? Wish I was there rather than in CA at the moment enduring the typical 88-92 degree weather! Bleah!

Is there an official "breakup" date, week or month? I understand there are many parties this time of year...how much does it vary from year to year? Wish I was there rather than in CA at the moment enduring the typical 88-92 degree weather! Bleah!

no "official" breakup. The main shorefast icepack in the sound broke up Memorial Day weekend. That's actually a bit later than usual according to locals. It is typically mid-May. Early May to early June is the usual variation. Last winter was not terrifically cold: -20 to -30 much of the time but it actually warmed up and rained at one point in January. The winter before that was very cold. -50 fairly often.

The ice in the pictures is flowing down from the estuaries and rivers. It's moving right along at 2.5 knots or so. Now that boating is somewhat feasible, all the locals are excited and heading out to hunt ugruk (bearded seals). Sheefishing is in full swing. Stuff costs $1.00/lb. to ship in from Anchorage so any locally available food is welcome. Personally, i'm not crazy about any of that stuff...although sheefish are tasty, just pretty bony.

They do have an "official" breakup of the Nenana River called the "Nenana Ice Classic" but that's near Fairbanks. It's like a lottery--there is a tripod with a sensor on it, and when it moves a certain amount, the holder of the ticket with that time on it wins.

Summer solstice parites are a tradition all over Alaska. Not sure when sunsets stopped here, but it was a few weeks ago.

Once the ice is gone from the lagoon, they have an annual snowmobile race over the water. Kindof a bummer if your engine stalls and sinks in the salt water....

interesting place. Eveybody should live someplace where they are in the racial minority at some point in their life. I've had to learn a few things to be effective at what I do. I've just completed my 15th month and am close to pulling the plug. Although this place will never be home, it certainly has been an interesting stint.

My 4 years in Alaska were the best period of life for me, DW, 3 Kids and one Native (born in Alaska) Dog. I would love to go back there for a LONG visit. Hopefully, we will; fly into Fairbanks, rent a Jeep (or other 4W) and just head North.

Bosco - Thanks for the pictures, information and reminder.

My 4 years in Alaska were the best period of life for me, DW, 3 Kids and one Native (born in Alaska) Dog. I would love to go back there for a LONG visit. Hopefully, we will; fly into Fairbanks, rent a Jeep (or other 4W) and just head North.

Bosco - Thanks for the pictures, information and reminder.

If you do, be sure to head out the Elliot Highway to Manly Hot Springs. It's incredible--a hot springs with a greenhouse around it. Large grapes and ferns growing around. You rent it by the 1/2 hour block at the local bar, and IIR, it's quite cheap. Need a 4wd, though, 'cause the ruts are BAD.

Back
Top Bottom