Anybody been to Margarita Island

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I read about it. It looks nice and apparently it is very affordable for vacations. The only problem is that out of the US, you would have to have several connections. There do not seem to be an direct flights. I think there are some flights from Canada.

Isla Margarita: Your guide to Margarita Island, Venezuela

Looks like a beautiful place. But there are many beautiful place to go to in this world. I would be hesitant about visiting a country that has such hostile intentions toward that USA. When Chavez and his pals have been overthrown, I may consider it at that time.

It looks like it is a low cost, hidden jewel in the Caribbean (out-side of the hurricane belt). The only problem that I have found is that there are not direct flights. From the US, one must fly to the continent of South America and catch a flight... there are not that many. When I checked on flights, it was going to take about 12 hours to get there because of the lay over in the airport.

we've been, albeit 15 years ago. 5 star hotels on the water. world class shopping and dining close by. cabbies, hotel staff, people extremely nice. but, third world living conditions also close by away from the beaches--quite a contrast. we we're perhaps naive at that time but we were uncomfortable with the military presence...more common today i'm sure. we were also struck by the number of large cement unfinished structures being built. seemed really out of place but rumor had it as drug money...would recommend for beach vacation but not much else going on...caraccas(?) a short trip away but we bailed....

ps; we fried--be careful...:)

I think I've been to Margarita Island a few times, memory is a little fuzzy about the visit though!;)

Decameron All Inclusive Beach Resort Panama hotel

Just went here last year and it was cheap, cheap, cheap. Get your coupon/package in panama city before you go out there and you'll get a better deal. It was absolutely beautiful and I was stuffed and all the drinks are free. Didn't spend a dime accept for airfare and lodging. They will pick you up from the airport. It was wonderfull and I plan on going back as soon as I can. Felt very safe there and there were a lot of expats and tourists vacationing there. Really good time. Rooms are nice but the Villas are better and don't cost any more. Really laid back and the staff caters to your every whim. They also have all that other stuff, scuba, jet ski, boats, tours, pretty much whatever.

Was there about 10 years ago. Similar impression to littledoc. Lots of great shopping, good resorts, and better priced than some alternatives. Very popular with Europeans in particular. Did not experience much, if any, military presence. The island is quite a different mindset socially than mainland Venezuela that I have also experienced. Helps to speak Spanish.

From what I have read, Margarita Island sounds like a great place to visit. Some expats even live there. (See Escape Artist articles.)

I work with a few Venezuelan expats and refugees. According to some there have been incidents recently where tourists have been extorted by the police on the island. It can also be risky just getting to the island from the airport. The consensus is that it is not safe at this time. Darn.

I have also been very interested in a little town in the mountains, Merida. No reports of trouble once you get there, but getting there safely may be a problem.

Oh, well.

From what I have read, Margarita Island sounds like a great place to visit. Some expats even live there. (See Escape Artist articles.)

I work with a few Venezuelan expats and refugees. According to some there have been incidents recently where tourists have been extorted by the police on the island. It can also be risky just getting to the island from the airport. The consensus is that it is not safe at this time. Darn.

I have also been very interested in a little town in the mountains, Merida. No reports of trouble once you get there, but getting there safely may be a problem.

Oh, well.

Ed - any specific details on the extortion and safety incidents?

On safety, I gather that there is a bridge between the Caracas airport and the the city that is out. Ground vehicles going around the bridge get waylaid.

I heard from my colleague that a bunch of Dutch tourists were detained by the cops as they arrived on the island and they had to ransom their passports back.

I will report back more as I learn it.

I see many are confusing the crime on the mainland with my island. I moved here from Florida last year. I walk the streets of my neighborhood anytime I want. It is not a gated community either. I am in the tourist business and I have not heard of anyone having a passport held hostage nor being extorted by the police. I for one am glad I left GWB behind! If anyone has any questions my email is Richard@gringorent-a-car.com

I was thinking about a vacation there, but the flight had 2 stops 1 going through Caracas... was a bit of a long delay. If there is a direct flight from say Miami, we will go.

Billy and I visited Isla de Margarita in 1991, the first year we retired. After spending 6 months on the island of Nevis, we hopped a Windjammer sailing vessle down to Grenada, then an airplane to Caracas. From Caracas we flew to Cumana and took a ferry to the island.

We still have fond memories! The food was excellent, international and cheap. The beaches were lovely and vendors would deliver ice cold (mini)Polar Beers right to your beach towel for a pittance (price included the beer!) Bars didn't really get going until 11pm or midnight and advertized things like "Watch the sunrise here!" Dancing and music was awesome.

We scuba'd, snorkeled and hired a private boat tour around the area.

I'm glad to hear that it is still cheap...

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

I was thinking about a vacation there, but the flight had 2 stops 1 going through Caracas... was a bit of a long delay. If there is a direct flight from say Miami, we will go.

Looks like you miss out then as there is no direct flight here from anywhere in the US.

Here is a website that has some really useful info about the island.
Margarita Island travel guide offers Excursions, Travel Tips and Articles, Photo Gallery, Beaches, Condo Rentals, Restaurant list and Margarita Forum.

One thing is that gas prices are down here, I am paying less then 5 cents a gallon and that is full service too. We have a large bunch of expats spread out over the island. A Canadian friend of mine went to the dentist because she was in pain. Ended up needing to have an oral surgeon to remove 2 teeth. The total bill for EVERYTHING, including panoramic x-ray, the dentist and surgeon, was less then $40.00.
My 78 year old father recently relocated here as well. He had cataracts removed from both eyes and the permanent contacts done with lazer surgery. For the first time in his life, he has 20/20 vision. He finds the medical care better here then the US.
Food is very reasonable as is beer and liquor. I pay about 4 bucks for a case of beer, 2 bucks for a bottle of either rum or vodka. Good quality beef is about a buck a pound, and it is very tasty. Fresh fish and seafood is in abundance here as well as is fruits and veggies
This is not a place for everyone. It is Latin American and they have a very laid back way about things. I myself find it very relaxing and am glad I made the move.

Looks like you miss out then as there is no direct flight here from anywhere in the US.

Unfortunately, our local airport does not fly to Caracas. Three flights with (with time in each airport) makes a 1 week visit a little painful. Perhaps when we ER in a few years I will consider a trip as part of a South American extended vacation.

The US tourism industry has not bought into the island. Are there any large hotel chains located on MI... They are often responsible for getting flights lined up so they can do business.

Unfortunately, our local airport does not fly to Caracas. Three flights with (with time in each airport) makes a 1 week visit a little painful. Perhaps when we ER in a few years I will consider a trip as part of a South American extended vacation.

The US tourism industry has not bought into the island. Are there any large hotel chains located on MI... They are often responsible for getting flights lined up so they can do business.

Thankfully there is no direct flight here from the US. There is in the winter from Montreal though. There is a Hilton here as well as a few others. No matter how you slice it you still will have a long flight. Last year I made the Maimi Caracas Margarita trip 8 times. I have now disposed of all holdings in the US and am just enjoying the laid back life here.

Gringo

Your personal information and on the ground observations are outstanding! Very attractive. Will have to check out that site you listed. Thanks!

In general, do you feel safe? Do you need a car? How is your rent amount?

Thanks for your time...

Akaisha

Gringo

Your personal information and on the ground observations are outstanding! Very attractive. Will have to check out that site you listed. Thanks!

In general, do you feel safe? Do you need a car? How is your rent amount?

Thanks for your time...

Akaisha

Thank you kindly. We feel very safe here. The are where we live a car is not necessary. I own my home.

I never heard of the place, but it looks like some very beautiful beaches. Let us know how the trip goes.

Thanks, Gringo.

We like being in places where we don't need a car. We hire drivers or take public transport in most places other than the U.S.

Unfortunately, where we live in the States, it is triple digits in the summer, with miles of open space ... even bicycling in the summer time can be dangerous! (only mornings and evenings, or before summer or after!)

Your opinion -- what's the biggest knock on living there?

No place is perfect, and even paradises have their drawbacks. I am not trying to focus on the negative here. We love lots of places we visit/live. It's just that experience has taught us that there is 'always something'.

In the States it's the healthcare issue and all the hoopla over it, and the 'enforced need for a car.' Sometimes it can be the peer pressure to consume or have upscale entertainment.

In Thailand sometimes it's the visa issues changing, or off and on air pollution -- but we get great medical care and don't need a vehicle! and what peer pressure? haha

In Mexico, the weather is perfect, we don't need a car, medical care is decent, but then the power goes out, the water can run out, repairs can take 'forever' and food shopping can take a good 1/2 a day.

In your opinion, if I were twisting your arm, what would you admit to having to 'accept'?

Thanks...

Be well,

Akaisha

Thanks, Gringo.

We like being in places where we don't need a car. We hire drivers or take public transport in most places other than the U.S.

Unfortunately, where we live in the States, it is triple digits in the summer, with miles of open space ... even bicycling in the summer time can be dangerous! (only mornings and evenings, or before summer or after!)

Your opinion -- what's the biggest knock on living there?

No place is perfect, and even paradises have their drawbacks. I am not trying to focus on the negative here. We love lots of places we visit/live. It's just that experience has taught us that there is 'always something'.

In the States it's the healthcare issue and all the hoopla over it, and the 'enforced need for a car.' Sometimes it can be the peer pressure to consume or have upscale entertainment.

In Thailand sometimes it's the visa issues changing, or off and on air pollution -- but we get great medical care and don't need a vehicle! and what peer pressure? haha

In Mexico, the weather is perfect, we don't need a car, medical care is decent, but then the power goes out, the water can run out, repairs can take 'forever' and food shopping can take a good 1/2 a day.

In your opinion, if I were twisting your arm, what would you admit to having to 'accept'?

Thanks...

Be well,

Akaisha

In a nut shell you'll have to accept their lifestyle, which is a slower pace then what you are use to. There is always manana to get it done. IF you can do that then things will be fine.

That doesn't sound too bad.

I do enjoy the efficiency of the Asians, however, everything you mentioned about living on Isla de Margarita is attractive.

Thanks.
Akaisha

To give all of you reading an idea of general food prices here, I am going to list a few odds and ends we just picked up at unicasa, a local supermarket. Their prices are not the best but the store is real close. Here they separate groups of three numbers with a period rather then a comma and where we use a comma they use a period.

A package of 3 nice looking Filet Mignon steaks (.455kg) .98 pounds, (9.055 Bs), $1.88

A package of 3 smoked pork chops (.510 kg) 1.12 pounds, (12.650 Bs) $2.63

Peppered salami sliced to order (.225 kg) .50 pounds (17.350 Bs) $3.61

Turkey Breast sliced to order (.245 kg) .54 pounds (8.405 Bs) $1.75

Oscar Mayer ham sliced to order (.550 kg) 1.21 pounds (8.490 Bs) $1.77

Imported Gouda cheese from Holland sliced to order (.505 kg) 1.11 pounds (14.040 Bs) $2.93

Oscar Mayer liverwurst pre packaged (.500 kg) 1.1 pounds (5.450 Bs) $1.14

Fresh Brussel sprouts (.495 kg) 1.09 pounds (4.316 Bs) $.90

Small 3.45 oz pack of Oreo cookies 2 for (2.900 B's) $.60

Fresh potatoes (1.57 kg) 3.45 pounds (4.396 B's) $91

2 medium fresh tomatoes (.265 kg) .58 pounds (901 Bs) $.19

single serving variety fruit yogurt 7 for (10.640 Bs) $2.22

Bulk plain yogurt (.500 kg) 1.1 pounds (3.630 Bs) $.75

Hair conditioner, 16.1 oz (4.610 Bs) $.96 (local brand not the cheapest but she says its the best)

White sugar (.900 kg) 1.90 pounds, (1,170 Bs) $ .24

Medium size loaf of Bimbo bread (that's the name I swear) (.500 kg) 1.1 pounds (5900 Bs) $1.23 this bread is almost double most others but it is what I like best.

I spent a whopping 115.423,40 Bs
or $24.05

Back
Top Bottom