On The Road Again #1 - Mt. Yale

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I hope ya'll know I'm hiking these mountains to give you guys some inspiration.

This was Mt. Yale in Colorado - only about 7 miles round trip, but a 4,300 ft elevation change, and about 9.5 hrs hiking time - 14,196ft high. This is a grade 2 hike with some minor boldering at the very top.

The picture is from the very top. I don't know if it is just me but it looks as if you can see the curvature of the earth in it.

The beer tasted great when I got back to the RV. Funny but I wasn't that hungry afterwards.

The photo isn't that dramatic but it was an accomplishment for me. I was moving slow and I was getting passed by many people. There was some cross country high school kids who made it to the top in about 2.5hrs

I'm resting up for another mountain tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 10
Like it! Thanks for the inspiration. Makes me want to take a deep breath of Colorado High.

Congrats, Dex. I bet that's a tough climb. We did Mt. Shasta when I was about 35. That was about the same height, and was one of the toughest things I ever did. I remember that above 11,000 feet or so it was, take three steps, feel lousy, rest, repeat.

Did you need crampons? Did you get altitude sickness?

beautiful pic dex, i think the highest mountain i was on was only about 6,000 ft but we didn't hike; we took the harley up to the mount wilson observatory--i think in pasadena area. i'd never been up so high. loved it. i'll never forget going through some layer of air where all of a sudden the temp dropped and the air got real crisp. it was like entering the anti-florida.

later this month i'll be in the great smokey mountains. gonna bring my mountain bike. will be the first time my mountain bike has ever been on a mountain. should be fun.

Impressive indeed. Last time I hiked a trail up a mountain in the Vail area, I was sucking air big time. And it was only a 3 hour round trip hike. :-[

Thanks for the compliments. But I really do post these things for people to think about RE. The older you get the harder it is to do somethings. Now on this hike there was a guy who looked older than me and doing well. He looked like he was a trail runner.

I was sucking air as I was going up. My hart wasn't pounding or anything. I think I just too dumb to think that I shouldn't be doing these things.

Back
Top Bottom