Kids, stay in school.

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
Laurence started a similar thread a while back, but in this one I'd like to hear from other [-]combat veterans[/-] parents of working teens. Should they keep going after the novelty wears off?

Parents of teenagers will understand my being surprised when (very occasionally) my kid proves that she really does "get it". I can't help being perpetually amazed by seeing the world through her eyes and watching her flail her way toward independence. It's almost been worth a decade of sleep deprivation.

She's been attending Kumon math tutoring since second grade-- her idea, not ours-- and she's about to start 10th grade. It's not only paid off in her math skills but it's totally eliminated test anxiety, given her several role models to emulate (plus a few not to), and helped her learn how to manage her time. All this for only $85/month, and it seemed that this great deal couldn't possibly get any better.

Last fall she started working at the Kumon center and has just been raised to $7.25/hour for 6-10 hours/week. She basically sits on her butt in a well-ventilated room, shuffling/filing papers and tutoring 4-year-olds*. She's had her eyes opened wide by the concept of being expected to show up for work 2-3 times/week (whether she feels like it or not) and it's "painfully" cut into her basketball & socializing. She loves the money and immediately treated herself to a Netflix subscription but otherwise her earnings have been going into her Roth IRA. However, perhaps since her parents are ER or because she's a teen, the novelty has worn thin. She's been quick to identify all the workplace's flaws and to complain about its quality of life.

But not any more. Her friends have been picking up summer jobs (or trying to) and she's just beginning to realize how good she has it. The latest example was her friend Amy whose SubWay job has her standing on her feet 3-4 hours/day. Amy can now whip up lunch for her friends in 90 seconds but she's perpetually tired & sore and dozes off during summer school. Another friend is applying for a part-time custodial job at the high school. He spent a week interning at this occupation during 8th grade ("in-school suspension") so perhaps he feels it's a match for his skill set. Other 14-year-olds, especially those whose spending outstrips their income, are finding out that their job market has been flooded with recent high-school graduates who are more available at all hours.

Our kid has attacked her job with renewed vigor, especially when I pointed out that Kumon is a franchise she could one day purchase for her very own. But I'll give her a few years to enjoy that fantasy before we dump cold financial-analysis water on it.

Life is good, but it's especially sweet when to hear your teen tell you that you're right. A little of that goes a long way, and it'll probably have to.

*She says that she's never having babies, either, but we'll see how that pans out...

Congratulations Nords. Whatever you guys are doing, it's working.

My daughter has been working part-time too, as a lifeguard, and office assistant at a doctor office. She is saving about 2% of her wage! My son works less hours as a tumbling coach assistant, but was able to save 5%.

The good thing is they both do well academically, and they both promise me that they shall continue to do so in college. They insist that I have nothing to worry about, as long as I pay for college. Time will tell.

I have teenage children that work, but is this thread a real question or just your attempt to seem like a great parent and use your child to justify that?

My children would be asking the same?

... or just your attempt to seem like a great parent and use your child to justify that?

Hmm... Interesting query! Don't know if I seem like a great parent, but positively sure that I try to be one. Do my kid agree with me? Most likely not. Will they agree with me 10, 20 years from now? I hope so.

Welcome, by the way, "Dumps Like A Truck".

Sam,
you seem like a great parent (father), I see so much respect in your post about your children. I'm sure in 20 years, you'll be a proud father. The difference is obvious.

I just wonder about the intent in OPs post. Is it for daughter's sake or self's. Parents should be aware that children can tell.

Dumps (thanks for the welcome)

Sam,
just read another of your posts. I once visited Malaysia from the ferry in Singapore. I saw many refugee camps along the trip to Kuala Lumpur and I respect the journey you have made. Good tidings.

But at his point the OP needs the woodbine twineth. Odor suppression.

Dumps, thanks for the comment regarding my journey.

However, I failed to understand why you're so critical of the OP!?! I don't see any reason for your criticism at all! It's even more confusing coming from a brand spanky new member. What's going on?

Sam, criticism? None intended. Only question of intent. Big difference.

Hope that helps. Is being new a problem?

Nords,

I got my start working at a franchisee when I was 15, while working there I ran my lawn business too and used it to get new customers hehe.

But yea, that is what propelled me to open my own franchisee, and attain FI.

Well that and sitting in a foxhole in 120 degree weather, thinking WTF am I doing?!?!?! hehe

Sam, criticism? None intended. Only question of intent. Big difference.

Hope that helps. Is being new a problem?

Sounded like criticism to me. Being new is not a problem. Being new and a smartass IS a problem

Sounded like criticism to me. Being new is not a problem. Being new and a smartass IS a problem
Especially if you're an old poster who's another incarnation of OAP.

A moderator will no doubt be along in a moment...

Last edited:
Our kids are in college now.

When they were in grammar school, we lived in a very affluent area (we sneaked in). A couple of counselors from the local high school came to talk to the Dad's Club about kids working in high school. From their experience, they believed that it was a very bad idea for kids to work during the school year (to support a car, for example). These guys even made the national news that year. They wanted us parents of grade-school kids to discourage the idea that they should have a car in high school, in particular. They preached against the cult of materialism, for brand-name jeans and shoes and so forth.

We discussed this with our kids. We told them they weren't going to get cars, so forgeddaboutit. They didn't work in high school during the year. In the summer, they went places (Japan, Denmark, Germany, Canada and up and down I-5 with us). We are happy that we did these things instead of having them work. (They didn't get cars in high school, by the way. Or designer jeans. We did support sports activities.)

They are both working this summer. We told them that their "job" is to do well in school. Things seem to be going well.

Our experience. YMMV

I have teenage children that work, but is this thread a real question or just your attempt to seem like a great parent and use your child to justify that?

My children would be asking the same?

Most of Nords' posts--whether he starts the thread, or whether he replies to a thread--are self-aggrandizing and/or self-promoting. I agree with you completely.

It takes a "newbie" to introduce a little frankness to the board...hope you stick around and that they do not run you off...

winnie,
it was just difficult to watch a child being used and wondering if the child can see. I don't know what his comeback was meant as but I was hoping it would be "yeah, I can see it was shameless self promotion".

I know my daughter went, "yucko". Thanks pops for not doing that.

DLAT, it looks like you registered this identity just to troll Nords.

Not very nice.

You are much more interesting when you don't have an agenda.

That's what I was afraid of.

Dumps, should you chose to continue this childish practice in the future, keep me out of your dirty loop. Don't ever use me as a jumping board again. I don't care who you are, but if you need to settle an argument with someone, at least have the decency to do it openly.

Last edited:
Our kids are in college now.

When they were in grammar school, we lived in a very affluent area (we sneaked in). A couple of counselors from the local high school came to talk to the Dad's Club about kids working in high school. From their experience, they believed that it was a very bad idea for kids to work during the school year (to support a car, for example). These guys even made the national news that year. They wanted us parents of grade-school kids to discourage the idea that they should have a car in high school, in particular. They preached against the cult of materialism, for brand-name jeans and shoes and so forth.

We discussed this with our kids. We told them they weren't going to get cars, so forgeddaboutit. They didn't work in high school during the year. In the summer, they went places (Japan, Denmark, Germany, Canada and up and down I-5 with us). We are happy that we did these things instead of having them work. (They didn't get cars in high school, by the way. Or designer jeans. We did support sports activities.)

They are both working this summer. We told them that their "job" is to do well in school. Things seem to be going well.

Our experience. YMMV

I worked almost 40 hours a week in school while playing sports, and it was a HUGE impact on being able to retire at 30. Learned alot about time management and management of resources. I had built a net worth of around 100k by the time I was 18 too.

I will never forget going to my uncle (who owned hundreds of stores at one time, and has a insane net worth), and asking him if I should go to college instead of open my business after getting out of the corps, and he laughed at me, told me he dropped outa school in the 8th grade, and then showed me 3 honorary degrees he had been given hehe.

Now do not get me wrong I am not saying education is bad, but I think the experience of work is just as important

I’m a new poster (but not reader) except on the “Hi, I’m …” board. What is all the fuss about here? I read Nords description of his daughter’s work experience as a very interesting angle to teen part-time work options. And as far as teens being embarrassed by their parents, do you think? Hell, if you don’t embarrass them at least once a week, you’re probably trying to be their friend. Bad move.

My daughter started at a fast food joint as a high school sophomore. Now starting her junior year in college, she’s working in an upscale restaurant waiting tables and making a bundle. Shoot, she travels a lot more around the country than I do, but it’s on her ticket.

On the “should high school kids work?” item, DD continued to work in the fall of her junior year even though she was carrying a full AP load. I thought it was a bad idea and all of her teachers thought so too. But she has always followed her own mind, like her mom I guess. Anyway, she carried the day in her classes that fall anyway. But here is the real lesson: she learned time management in spades, a lesson that she still benefits from.

drum

Most of Nords' posts--whether he starts the thread, or whether he replies to a thread--are self-aggrandizing and/or self-promoting. I agree with you completely.
I put up posts like that because I'm a proud parent. I also want to know what's next-- whether there's a pitfall in our path or what other kids have done. I guess I have to indulge in the self-promotion if I want the advice.

I must admit, though, that the pleasure gained by hearing from other posters on this type of subject seems disproportionally damped out by feedback like yours. Your opinion is way down there in the minority yet one thread crap seems to do a lot more damage than a whole page of actual constructive feedback or sharing your similar experiences.

It takes a "newbie" to introduce a little frankness to the board...hope you stick around and that they do not run you off...
You need to educate yourself a bit more on OldAgePensioner. (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/members/oldagepensioner.html) If that's the kind of poster you want to hear more from then good luck. I suspect that you're way down in there in the minority again. But be sure to read his blog.

Ah, but you have your own multiple-poster-ID issues, don't you, Winnie? You're aware that this board records & correlates poster's IP addresses?

OAP, you may be able to change your IP address (I wouldn't know anymore) but you haven't changed your writing style. You haven't changed your behavior, either-- you keep making your dramatic exits (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/523983-post34.html) yet you keep boomeranging. Funny, I haven't missed you a bit but you seem to find reasons to keep bringing you back here. Apparently this board is a lot more important to you than you seem willing to admit, or maybe you're just here to stir up a ruckus again. Not having to deal with posters like you is certainly one of the newfound joys of not being a moderator.

I'm sorry that this is the best use you can make of your survivor's time. Your behavior choices have certainly taught us all a lot about the psychology of making the retirement transition.

I sure hope there's not a limit on the size of one's "Ignore Poster" list...

Last edited:
I sure hope there's not a limit on the size of one's "Ignore Poster" list...

I'll let you know. I'm up to about 20 and so far so good. Reading some threads is a little bit interesting at times, especially when it becomes obvious that two or three of the one-note-wonders or flamers on my list are arguing with each other.

Nice OP though, lets me see what i've got coming to me in about 10 years.

As far as self aggrandizement, if anyone thinks they can read the missives of a bunch of financially independent people and not find a few heaps of hubris...good luck with that...

As far as self aggrandizement, if anyone thinks they can read the missives of a bunch of financially independent people and not find a few heaps of hubris...good luck with that...

Actually, I've found this not to be the case on this board. Most posters seem more self-deprecating and modest than anything else.

See, thats where differences of opinion kick in. I find modesty and self deprecation to be quite honorable traits, but theres an awful lot of phony modesty laying around waiting for someone else to tell them that they're really better than they present themselves.

I appreciate seeing someone who is doing better than most, understands who and what they are, talks about it, and doesnt mind baring their lives to a bunch of complete strangers (several of which may actually be dogs or teenage girls).

I see nothing wrong with that. People are just different.

Come on, nothing wrong with being proud of having your offspring take your advise to heart and actually listen; and as a teenager no less! (I didn't realize that my parents actually were smart about money until when I was about 26)

how quickly the poop flies once the first is thrown huh!

DLAT - your post was strange and perplexing - i read it a few times and just couldn't wrap my head around it - basically came up w/ WTF? there is no reason to hurl a flame at someone you don't know, based on the OP... unless in fact you do know them...and the blatant a** kissing on the other end was another smooth move...:rolleyes:

you either had some strange childhood experience where your parent took all the credit for your decisions, when they in fact, fed you bread and water and forced you to wash their feet.

or you have an agenda.

either way - the social skills displayed reveal an extreme lack of sophistication...and the bandwagonista (hey, that moniker hasn't been used yet) fell in lock step.

I have a teen son and ANY time he sort of listens to something i said, i do the dance of joy and tell everyone i know and soak it up because parenting is tough and parenting a teen is really tough. what i say is that when they are babies and cute, they put deposits in the love bank, as they grow up, they take withdrawals (and sometimes ask for loans w/ no intention of paying them back)!

i just cling to the hope that one day, when said teen son is like 35 or 45? he will turn to me and say, gee, thanks i know it was tough...thanks for going to costco, target, tj's, then back to costco three times a week to feed me, take me to all the practices, talk with all my teachers, games, and give me all that great life experience and advice i half listened to...but that is just a small hope. even if he doesn't, as long as he can keep a roof over his head and food on the table for himself and any offspring - i will happily take personal joy in that...or he will have kids himself and know what it is, and do a great job raising them too - and that will be thanks enough!:duh:

Back
Top Bottom