The artifice of beauty

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Martha's thread on psychiatric hospitals and the young girls there who do self-mutilation made the "Dove Evolution of a Model" video on YouTube resonate with me. It shows an average looking woman getting photo-ready. Her hair and makeup are done of course, and she is professionally photographed. Already looks "perfect" and "wonderful" by almost any standards---and then the photo is photoshopped, raising her eyebrows, slimming her neck, etc.!

The whole video is 1 minute. It's part of Dove's campaign to show real women and real beauty. I think it should be required viewing for all young girls so they don't feel bad about their imperfections andnot looking like the models they see in umpteen ads every day. Also can make us middle-aged women feel better---and possibly even guys feel better about not having a woman who looks like she just stepped out of an ad.

YouTube - Dove - Evolution

Oh, and for you jokesters who would rather see the reverse: a gorgeous young man being made into what they call "a slob"---a middleaged, paunchy, hard drinking and smoking schlub!

YouTube - Slob Evolution

Fascinating!

I know the publisher of the magazine, New Moon, who also leads the organization, Dads and Daughters. Great magazine for girls, edited by girls. Part of what they do in promote a rational body image.

Oh, and for you jokesters who would rather see the reverse: a gorgeous young man being made into what they call "a slob"---a middleaged, paunchy, hard drinking and smoking schlub!

YouTube - Slob Evolution

Unfortunately, I have some friends who became this way over a 20-year period............:eek::eek:

Back
Top Bottom