Historical Charts of Market Performance

JustDucky

Confused about dryer sheets
Howdy, I came out of lurkerville today.

I finally decided to look at historical performance of the market. Volatile times vs growth. The charts are startling to me since I'm really counting on the next 10-20 years to grow my money.

I'm a buy and hold kind of guy. If the market continues trending with the volatility we see since 2000, I'm sunk.

Any thoughts to cheer me up?

Last edited:
I am not really sure what you are asking. This site is trying to sell subscriptions to their trading service.

Still, what they say can't really be disputed. There are very good early threads on this website diiscussing long term real returns-maybe a search for Elroy Dimson-Triumph of the Optimists will turn up spome helpful discussion.

Ha

Thanks for the reply, Haha. I'mdefinitely not interested in anything the site is trying to sell; only that the graphs point out stagnant periods of low return with the current period we are in beginning to look like market of the 60s. Perhaps I posted too early before reading up more on the subject. I will take a look at your recommended reading.

Welcome to the forum.
In 2000, the P/Es were sky high(30's?), now they are still high (20). High PEs mean there is not as much room to grow, so going forward, the stock prices are not going up as fast as before. Just another reason to be patient and focus on personal savings and lower costs, instead of getting riskier investments in an effort to boost returns.

Thanks for the reply, Haha. I'mdefinitely not interested in anything the site is trying to sell; only that the graphs point out stagnant periods of low return with the current period we are in beginning to look like market of the 60s. Perhaps I posted too early before reading up more on the subject. I will take a look at your recommended reading.

i always thought that we are repeating the 1970's or 1980's now. after the late 1960's high the market crashed and recovered and then crashed again. after the 2000 high we had a crash, a recovery and now what looks like to be another crash. i forgot but i think there was another credit problem in the 1970's that caused problems as well.

these credit problems pop up once a decade. seems no matter how fancy or expensive someone's degree or what kind of fancy computer models they can come up with based on math and physics only 5 people understand, after a few years the whole thing crashes and tens of billions of $$$ are lost

Back
Top Bottom