Random thoughts after a month of ER

bruce1

Full time employment: Posting here.
Today is my first day of real retirement I have been on vacation for a month though.

I do not miss the commute at all (one hour each way)

I am getting an extra hour of sleep every night.

I have worked on several long delayed projects at home and made satisfying progress.

Have visited several friends and relatives.

Blew an entire three day weekend on fun then had to rest the next day.

Have done a lot of gardening.

Must take a Vacation up North

Have to start some sort of exercise thing before winter.

Will be relieved once first pension deposit arrives at bank (Due in September). I have some lingering disbelief that you can get paid and not work.

Went to visit the office one day last week for lunch and thought How did I stay here so long. Felt somewhat out of place.

I do miss a couple of people from w@rk.

Have found after eating a home mostly that restaurants put too much salt in food.

I have avoided letting some people know I am retired as they will immediately think I am their personal errand boy. They have a surprise coming.

I have been very busy but is a semi relaxed way.

Bruce

I hope to start my own thread soon. Congratulations!

No commute and more sleep, that would be heaven.

Good job! Opps, j*b. That thing about not being anyone's errand boy is crucial. Keep us posted and inspired. Bravo.

Congrats!!!

I've been livin' the high life for about 4 months now, and I can certainly relate to almost everything in your post!!

It sure is nice to be paid NOT to go to w*rk!!!

And like you, Bruce, I keep pretty busy, too. But now it's at MY pace.....and it's doing whatever I want.....whenever I want to do it!!!

Life is GREAT!!!

Today is the end of my second month of ER (well R, at 58 maybe not E).

My life since leaving work includes:

Doing the minimum around the house.
A couple of long weekend trips.
Working on BIL's estate (as executor).
A few adjustments in investment mix.
Planning next trip to see DD.
Planning fall Yukon fishing trip.
Joined the old w**k guys for Fri. beers (only once, to gloat). Don't miss any of the BS but do appreciate the gossip on how mega-corp is doing since I have an uncomfortably large %age on my NW in their stock.
Doing what I want to do.
Doing what I want to do.
Doing what DW wants me to do.

No pension cheque for me. Just watch the markets and hope my 4 years of cash is enough to carry us thru any downturns.

PS: THE SECOND MONTH IS BETTER!!

Congrats. I remember that honeymoon period, like having hot sex every night except with no consequences. Now it's more like having good sex with no consequences.

Congrats. I remember that honeymoon period, like having hot sex every night except with no consequences. Now it's more like having good sex with no consequences.

DW and I ( or any 2 people my age) can have all the hot sex we want. There are no (pitter/patter of tiny feet) consequences.

1) Been pursuing my favorite hobby for 19 out of the last 31 days....
2) visited friends and family (a few big dinners out with them)
3) traveling 21 out 31 days (and will be 'out of town' for the next 40 days)
4) checking out 'plan a' on where to live in retirement
5) going to sleep when I want to ... interesting old movies on at night
6) getting up when I want to
7) meeting new people
8) exercising 4 out of 5 days (mostly because I have to), but actually starting to [-]like[/-] get used to it
9) eating out a lot (see number 8)
10) eating healthier at home ... didn't realize I like fish and veggies so much
11) food is starting to taste better
12) got an email from a former friend and colleague from work ... could not relate. ... but did commiserate with friend
13) don't miss work at all
14) looking forward to 1st pension check ... as other poster .. love the thought that they are going to pay me for not working :D
15) have more things to do than I have hours in the day ... but life's a b*tch ... ain't it?
16) loving every minute of this 'honeymoon period'. savoring it :smitten:

Last edited:
Congratulations. It sounds like something to look forward to.

I just want to say thanks for these reminders as to why we need to stay focus and not greed and stay working for a day longer than we have to. I can hardly wait until it's our turn.

I don't retire for a year, and I already have my first year of ER mapped out. Probably not a good sign. Here's hoping ER works out well for all of us.

Ahhhh, the stuff retirement fantasies are made of! Enjoy the reality!

I completed my second month of ER and agree with many of your same items. But, we have been so busy with new things in our lives we have not had much time for yard, house, or downsizing as we had said we were going to do.

In the past two months we have:

Sold one RV and bought another one.

Got two new puppies (these guys are a TON of work...much of the reason we don't have much free time anymore)

Took a week-long RV trip to southern Utah.

Took a 3 week trip to see family in Calif. then went up the coast to Oregon..over to north eastern Calif....through Nevada and then back home.

Cleaned out three closets and gave a truck load of stuff away.

Took two pickup loads to the dump.

DW had surgery and I played nurse for a couple of weeks.

We are still working on the kitchen and bedroom remodeling project...including new windows, paint, carpet, and some furniture to replace the junk I took to the dump (long story).

I fielded some w*rk-related questions and turned down three request to come back. Turned down several headhunters wanting me to get back into the saddle. No Thank You!

A few other things I can't remember....

A good thing about ER is you don't have to remember stuff.

My first month not workin for da man

1. Rebuilt the garden fence to increase the size of the vegitable garden to 2500 sq ft.
2. Rebuilt the deck because the yehaoo (contractor) who built it the first time put the joists too far apart.
3. lots of time in the boat on the river.
4. Extra hour of sleep each day
5. Get up at 0700 instead of 0500 since I don't have a 45 minute commute to work
6 Enjoy twilight into dark instead of going to bed early to go to work.
7. Really enjoying the lack of stress
8. Getting ready to log some of the land for extra income
9. Trying to figure out where to go with the trailer after the wife is done with a Master Gardener commitment.
10 Campfires in the fire ring after sunset in the middle of the week.

To quote several on this board "If Id known it was goint to be this good I'd have retired 5 years ago!!!"

Congratulations!
I CANNOT wait to get there! To be able to do whatever I want to....instead of things I have to!

I drove from PA to visit my sister in Maine last week. She wanted me to stay an extra day. The only person I had to call was the cat sitter...how great was that!

Yahoo!!! Congrats. Can't wait to follow in your footsteps. Please keep posting updates, to motivate those of us not quite there yet!

I retired from Megacorp 7 weeks ago at age 44 (actually I had 6 weeks vac - so I have officially been gone just over a week):

1) My insomnia problem is now a thing of the past (not having to get up at 5:00 really helps)

2) Road trip from Seattle to Chicago to see my parents (and the Cubs!) - currently in the middle of

3) Spent summer weekdays at our lake house when it's completely peaceful - went back to our regular home for weekends to attend get togethers. parties etc (we used to have to decide between the parties and the lake since work occupied our weekdays)

4) Having a great time with our 3 kids (12, 10 and 6) - and I swear (but can't prove it) they have been getting along better and seem more happy (but maybe it's just me)

5) Haven't gotten the diet thing together just yet - but will when the kids get back to school. Exercise has suffered a bit - but that will resume in full force in Sept

6) Having more sex with my beautiful wife (sorry if that's too much info!)

7) Do not miss the commute one bit

8) Haven't been too productive, but I have detailed the car, and sealed the driveway

9) Feel less stressed - but it wasn't immediate - has been coming at a slow, but exciting and noticeable rate

10) People keep wondering: a)What I'm going to do next (ans: whatever I want) and b) just how much $ I must have (ans: quite a bit - but I tell them I have enough to not HAVE to work - and ask them how much that would be for them)

11) Making travel plans for all of the kids' school breaks

12) Finding considerably little time to read this forum (I read it ALOT when I was still working)

Back
Top Bottom