Lazy bottom feeding

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So I'm thinking with all this carnage and volatility going on, it might be a bit of fun to start watching some of the vanguard funds for better valuations.

Basically what I'd love to do is chart all (or many) of the vanguard funds past 30-60 day performance to see which ones are really getting clipped.

The vanguard sites not helping me...they like to show 'value of money invested' rather than price changes in their charts. Which look way better, but arent helping me.

Seems all the fund screeners I looked at have "year to date" as finest and most recent granularity. Also not particularly helpful.

Anyone know of a real flexible screener where I could say "gimme all the vanguard fund family xx days total return below zero" or something similar?

Do you have a list of all Vanguard tickers?

I'm kind of wondering if Google's spiffy charts could handle it.

If you type multiple tickers into Bigcharts.com and pick a timespan, it defaults to showing %ages instead of prices.

For instance:

BigCharts - Printer-Friendly Format

That is small cap index, reit index, total market index over 2 months. Maybe that helps? It isn't really an automated screener, but easy to eyeball different periods of time.

Spread 'em.

How about just the spread?

Dirty data mining market timer! :p

Going by the spread, you'd be buying REIT, Emer. Mkts., etc. Blah.

-CC

Guilty as charged. I'm a bargain shopper. Gotta be some bargains coming up. REITS are still overpriced and so are emerging markets. I'm looking for stuff that'll be breaking the 200 day MA and then its 52 week lows...and then some.

Huh, I looked at bigcharts and it wasnt immediately obvious that I could do multiple tickers concurrently, but thats actually exactly what I want...chart of percent drop so I can further investigate funds without parachutes. Any idea how many tickers it'll take all at once? I'll probably be watching this daily for a few months.

I saw that vanguard data but I'd have to write a little macro to parse it quickly...i'm too frickin lazy to read all that stuff ;)

So I'm thinking with all this carnage and volatility going on, it might be a bit of fun to start watching some of the vanguard funds for better valuations.

Basically what I'd love to do is chart all (or many) of the vanguard funds past 30-60 day performance to see which ones are really getting clipped.

The vanguard sites not helping me...they like to show 'value of money invested' rather than price changes in their charts. Which look way better, but arent helping me.

Seems all the fund screeners I looked at have "year to date" as finest and most recent granularity. Also not particularly helpful.

Anyone know of a real flexible screener where I could say "gimme all the vanguard fund family xx days total return below zero" or something similar?

Spreadsheet!

Use the MSN deluxe fund screener and the MSN deluxe stock screener. You can also use the MSN deluxe charting tool which has granularity down to real-time intraday.

It is pretty trivial to find Vanguard stuff that has dropped: just look in my portfolio. OTOH, I think what I would do is just look at various index ETFs as a proxy for the corresponding asset classes. Since Vanguard has ETF share classes of many of its index funds, the whole exercise becomes even more trivial.

Some asset classes that are down quite are bit are REITs (VNQ), financials (VFH), small cap value (VBR).

Vanguard ETFs by asset type

Oh, don't forget that emerging markets has been clipped. I've been "daytrading" EEM with some success in the last week. VG has a corresponding emerging markets fund. But last year, EM dropped more than 25% before it hit it's intrayear bottom and recovered nicely.

If you type multiple tickers into Bigcharts.com and pick a timespan, it defaults to showing %ages instead of prices.

Hmm, how did you do that? I just fiddled with bigcharts for a half hour and cant make it do that. I put in three symbols with spaces, commas and pluses, and all it spits out is a chart for some italian stock starting with the letter 'v'.

Ah nevermind, I figured it out. Interactive charts, pick one symbol, then the rest go into 'compare'. That'll work.

Nevermind the nevermind, it'll only take six symbols and I have about 20. Still looking...

(sort of amused that with all these web sites and tools, there isnt something that'll tell you 30/60/90 day performance of a mutual fund family..."YTD" is of somewhat limited usefullness)

Okay, I got what I wanted with a little work.

Went into the microsoft moneycentral advanced charting tool, which requires some activex downloads and works only in Internet Exploder.

That lets you put in a seemingly endless list of fund symbols and look at them with a decent amount of analysis and in the time-frames I wanted.

Very interesting to look at all of this represented visually.

Sorry, didn't see your question till just now. With a bit of hackery, you can add as many symbols as you want, and just bookmark each for the time period you want:

BigCharts - Printer-Friendly Format

If you click the link, you will see:
comp=VTSMX+VGSIX+INTC+SUNW+EFA+EEM+MSFT at the beginning. Just add as many tickers as you want with + between them. It looks like it allows up to 10 symbols without any problem :) Gotta love url hacking.

Hopefully your way is easier!

Last edited:
Its pretty smooth, except for having to type in all the fund symbols. And unless you've got a cheat sheet of symbols to fund names handy, you have to point at each line to see what it is. I've only got a dozen or so symbols memorized. Dang i'm rusty. Too many years of buying and holding index funds. ;)

Hmmm...link...I'll have to figure that out. It lets me 'save' it within moneycentrals charting tool but I havent tried an export, if it even allows that. Its easy enough to reproduce with the funds you like...get a list from vanguard under 'list funds alphabetically', print it out or write down your faves, open moneycentrals chart tool, click on the 'download money toolbox' or whatever the hell the links called if you dont get the slick activex gray box charts, put in your benchmark fund (I used the S&P 500), then under 'compare' put in one symbol at a time and click add. I put in a shitload...more than 25...and it worked fine. Gets a little busy but you can uncheck them all and then click in the 4-5 specific funds you want to look at.

Definitely fixed the time frame problem I was having...this lets you look at 1-5-10-30-90-ytd and then as far back as you'd like to go from there.

At a minimum, I can snapshot a few charts and post them. Once I've really figured out what the hell i'm looking at.

Looks like the guys who got the good spanking as of late were REIT, small cap value, strategic equity, extended markets, mid cap, and value index. EM and energy took a good walloping too but once you see how far they skyrocketed prior to that they still dont look like good bargains. REIT kinda falls into this bucket as well...fell far but was way too lofty to begin with.

The high yield corp fund, when viewed over a significant time period and against other similar risk investments...looks like a giant suckball to own. I think I'd have to see it fall far enough to give me a 9.5-10% yield before I'd bother with taking it vs a lower risk equity fund. Its a real stinker when viewed by price alone over time.

Back
Top Bottom