AML/Myeloid Dysplasia

gwix98

Recycles dryer sheets
HI,

Would like to hear from anyone undergoing therapy for either of these
related conditions. Current chemo regimen, bone marrow tranplant
successes and failures, as well as things that might have worked well.

I have a nephew (age 31) who is currently undergoing chemo for myeloid
dysplasia (pre AML), and while I work in a related field, know very little
about current advances and conventional procedures/therapy here.
Rich... would value your insight/experience.

Steve

HI,

I have a nephew (age 31) who is currently undergoing chemo for myeloid
dysplasia (pre AML), and while I work in a related field, know very little
about current advances and conventional procedures/therapy here.
Rich... would value your insight/experience.

Steve, sorry to learn of your young nephew. He has a battle ahead of him.

MDS (myelodysplasia) refers to the loss of function of the bone marrow, often with scar formation inside the marrow itself. In some cases it degenerates into leukemia, with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) being pretty common. AML and other leukemias are essentially liquid tumors and the out-of-control cells can land almost anywhere from the gums to the spleen to any organ.

Both are serious diseases with complicated biochemical and genetic subtypes that can guide treatment. Remissions can be induced with chemotherapy, but bone marrow transplant is likely to be discussed with someone so young. Its prognosis is very serious and transplant is often the primary source of hope.

I am sure he has been guided to a major medical center with a hematology program. BMT (bone marrow transplant) generally has the best outcomes at major centers like Fred Hutchinson in Seattle, Moffitt in Florida, MD Anderson in Houstaon to name a few.

Best of luck to him in his battle. I have seen numerous long-term survivors, though this is a serious situation.

Back
Top Bottom