Kayak advice please

BUM

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Last Saturday the area yard sales yielded yours truly a kayak - sort of. Its made by Stearns, about 7' long, and inflatable. Its got a comfy seat and thigh straps :confused:.
I like it because when not in use it disappears into a sack AND it only cost me $40. I has a very tiny "keel" so I just sort of sit and spin when paddling, if I don't pay attention. It is cool and has no leaks nor patches and seems in fine condition.

NOW DW wants one. I want to get one that she will be comfortable in, 99% of the time we will be in flat water. But once in a while I'd like to take it into the ocean. Again most of the time she'll be in the "new thing" and I'll tag along in the inflatable. Ideally any new kayak shouldl store easily and be light enough to carry all the way to the beach... 100 yards :D

Wev'e got two of the Stearns inflatables. They are awesome!
The new one is a serious upgrade over the older one, but still nice and light.
Does yours look like this one? I found a good deal on our newer one from a friend locally who is a Stearns dealer. The one in the picture we used as a "second car" when we were cruising. It has held up extremely well.

Sarah

Attachments

• Kayak.jpg
    Kayak.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 3
Thats it Sarah! Pretty much the same except my "x laces thingies" are in the back. OMG maybe I'm facing the wrong way... I'm so embarrassed.

NOW DW wants one. I want to get one that she will be comfortable in, 99% of the time we will be in flat water. But once in a while I'd like to take it into the ocean. Again most of the time she'll be in the "new thing" and I'll tag along in the inflatable. Ideally any new kayak shouldl store easily and be light enough to carry all the way to the beach... 100 yards :D

If you want to just go out and float around in good weather close to shore almost anything will do. The cheaper the better, but I recommend wearing a life jacket, since some of the cheap ones can get holes poked in by hitting rocks or other obstacles.

If you want to be a little more comfortable in different conditions, then you have to pay more and be careful in your choice. As with any water vehicle, a kayak should be chosen according to the conditions in which it will be used. We have two kayaks, one for calm lake water, the other for ocean. Each of them is a double kayak, so DW and I can sit in the same kayak and row together, but they can also be used singly.

Our lake kayak is a Perception touring kayak similar to this one:
Perception Kiwi 3 double touring kayak for sale

It cost around $800 at REI, but I don't think REI carries it any more. It tracks very well, is very stable, and has seats with backs so you can sit in it for a long time and remain comfortable. It does well for long distances in calm water, but in waves it can be a little unstable and possibly flip. If it flips, it will float at one end, but you can't get back in it, so we only use it for calm water (we've never flipped it unintentionally).

For the ocean, we went with an inflatable made by Inova similar to this one:
Sunny kayak from Innova Inflatable Kayaks - Touring and whitewater, heavy duty, portable and compact
Note that it also has a back, so it's very comfortable, easy to inflate and deflate with a hand pump, and light weight (around 35 pounds). Our has a small metal skedge that acts like a small rudder, so it handles ocean conditions very well, up to 2-3 foot waves. Since it's inflatable and flexible, it flexes over the waves and is hard to flip. But if it does flip, it's easy to get back into it. Again, the cost is around $800.

Back to those $40 kayaks, we also have one of those and, as I said, they are OK for fun on a hot summer day at the lake. But if the wind comes up they become very difficult to handle because they don't track very well. More than once we've had to tow a cheap kayak with our own kayak when the person could no longer row against the wind or the waves.

So there is our experience FWIW

We do the from here to there sort of trip, maybe spending 3 hours tops in them, exploring little inlets by the house. Since we launch from the dock at our house, we don't get too ambitious. If one of you has an inflatable and one a rigid, you will not be traveling together, period. Inflatables are always slower than rigid, but you can't beat the price! But, for performance kayaking and long trips, the rigid ones are certainly going to do better.

Our new Stearns was about $300 and as you said, easy to store. We take them on trips in the motorhome, so it is really nice to have them fold into a bag. We kayak over oyster beds pretty regularly, and the Stearns have a really heavy-duty bottom that doesn't get cut. And it helps that there are 4-5 inflation chambers for that "just in case" moment, but carry a lifejacket anyway!
Sarah

Inflatables are always slower than rigid, but you can't beat the price! But, for performance kayaking and long trips, the rigid ones are certainly going to do better.

Sarah, that's true for the inexpensive inflatables, but not for the high quality ones. In our inflatable we routinely have to slow down to wait for those on rigids. Our inflatable has a set of grooves underneath that channels the water, and a small skeg that makes it track very well. And for long trips, we also prefer the inflatable over the rigids, it conforms to pressure points around the legs and butt, so you don't tire out as fast. Keep in mind, though, this is an $800 inflatable, made of super hard neoprene material, the same as heavy duty inflatable dinghies. But, as I said, I agree with you that the inexpensive inflatables are pretty slow and not as comfortable.

Would like to kayak SC sometime, I was just down in Charleston last month and went boating around some of those beautiful canals and marshes.

I am on the road so didn't see this for a bit & will be 'away' at Burning Man for the next few days but would be willing to comunicate by Pmail on our return. I have two folding kayaks, a single & a double. I have a wood kayak I made and have had a plasic double, a fiberglass surf ski and plastic sit on tops and we even have a cheap inflatable for my son to play with. We have also paddled numerous rental boats and at demo days and in diffrent parts of the world..
Every boat is a trade off, what do you want to do? Fish, dive/snorkle, birding, surfing, white water; do you want to carry camping gear. Other 'big' questions include; do want a single or double, do you want a plastic, fiberglass or folding/inflatable; how much are you willing to spend?
Some good ways to leard are to find a local kayak club (in southern Cal its California Kayak Friends) or go to a kayak shop and ask about beginer classes, rentals and social paddles.
You can get really mismatched if you just pick something up at a sale, like taking a white water boat out in the ocean without experience. And double kayaks without rudders are called 'divorce boats'.I would not take an inflatable out on the ocean or large lake with any wind unless it had a rudder or skeg, they can be blown around a bit.
Have fun, be safe & ask questions early.

Soon, next time you come to Charleston, let me know and we'll take you out kayaking on the Bohicket River. My parents live in Rockville, and we launch right in front of their house. My picture at left is taken from their front yard. It is a beautiful place!
And I'm glad to hear that there are some higher performing inflatables. We are glad to mosey around, maybe drinking a few beers, and sneaking up on some wildlife in our "comfy armchair" inflatables!
Sarah

We have 2. A Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 that I use for fishing - see my avatar.

The other is an Innova Sunny as mentioned above. 2 people can sit in it and DW and I use it on small lakes. I've used it in the ocean a few times. It handles better than the Tarpon in the waves. The metal skeg is very useful. I considered less expensive inflatables when I bought the Sunny, but they seemed like pool toys. I wouldn't trust them. The Sunny is heavy duty, like the inflatables used for whitewater rafting. It is pricy, but well worth it.

Also, wear a PFD. I never launch without it even when I'm in shallow water. Kayaks are great.

Borrowed a 2 seater...nice but I think a bit too big. I expect huge sales after Labor Day as, at least around here, kayaking is a [-]wet ass[/-] warm weather sport.

img_551756_0_91bcb81798a42531e08a476669f48f3c.jpg

IMG%5D

Both my kayaks are 12 ft long. You'll appreciate the extra length if you have to paddle more than a few hundred yards. Longer kayaks are much more efficient. Good luck.

The person in the two seater is sitting way too far back, it would be very hard to control in that position. Many inflatable two seaters convert to a single seater, some by just turning around one of the seats.

If you are in quiet water where it isn't too windy, just get her a stearns like yours so you are evenly matched.

Or, get the two seater Sunny Innova. You both can use it or one can use it as it converts to a single. It isn't hugely long either. Unfortunately, it is a bit pricey.

I'm starting to see this model a lot at White Plains beach... is this what you had in mind?

Both my kayaks are 12 ft long. You'll appreciate the extra length if you have to paddle more than a few hundred yards. Longer kayaks are much more efficient. Good luck.

thanks tomz. We looked at a few today. Maybe someday I'll get a big boy kayak.

The person in the two seater is sitting way too far back, it would be very hard to control in that position.

Martha, thats no person, thats DW! I'm not saying a word.

I like the looks of that Kayak Nords. But the only White Plains I know of is in Westchester County:cool: Just a little joke. Betcha didn't know they came that little.

Has anyone tried to build one of these...

Pygmy Boats Inc

I saw one tied on the roof of a car recently, asked the driver/owner where he bought that amazing wood kayak. He told me about Pygmy and how he and his wife loved "driving" around in lakes all over the NW. His motivation was knee problems, he has had both replaced and can no longer walk long distances, the kayak allows him to go places he can no longer walk to... On top of that, the construction phase kept him out of the house for three months :D

Woah! Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks NSE. Imagine a DIY kayak. I think, for now something cheap, plastic, prolly crappy... but Pygmy will go back on the scope later. A self-proclaimed woodworker and die hard DIY'er. Its gotta happen.

Back
Top Bottom