Retirement spreadsheets

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I searched (see rant on searches) the forums for a thread on RE spreadsheets. Is there a thread with people offering the spreadsheets they use? I have run firecalc (all looks well) - but I am a gov't "employee" with pensions in the works, so my calculations will be a bit different since not all RE "savings" in straight investments (have some of those too, but very small potatoes) Might some of you with user friendly spreadsheets offer them to the board? I think some of us younger "kids" could greatly benefit at our stages....and despite the fact I can use Excel to enter formulas for calculating heat loads, cfms for fans required, and ductwork area, etc required to accomplish the industrial heating goals, financial calculations are a bit out of my league! ;) Might be something to add to the "best of" board if a collection of samples could be obtained from our gurus.

I haven't examined it in detail, but the young wife and I are in somewhat of the same boat, since she will get a pension. The way we handle it is to calculate how much she would get if she retired now but still meeting the age and service requirements when she actually does retire (i.e. - we assume she will get to the top longevity step in her grade and base the calculation on that -- assuming 25 years service and the age she will be at actual retirement). The assumption we are making is that once you make the top step of the grade, pay will only increase at the inflation rate between now and when she actually retires in 7 years. Then, we put this amount into Firecalc as a decrease to withdrawals in the appropriate year (the year of actual retirement).

Fireup, have you looked at the Fido calculator? It is pretty flexible (and free).

FIRE - I have one I can share - PM me if you are interested. It might be somewhat useful for you as I am a fed with a pension.

Karen

I have a few RE spreadsheets as well, send a PM, as I'm not sure if we can attach files to posts.

I am a gov't "employee" with pensions in the works, so my calculations will be a bit different since not all RE "savings" in straight investments (have some of those too, but very small potatoes) Might some of you with user friendly spreadsheets offer them to the board?
Back in the late 1990s, when I signed up for a FinancialEngines.com account, there was a rumor that the feds or the TSP would be offering their services as well.

Even if you can't access FE for free, it's worth signing up for a quarter or two and tweaking their data entry & asset allocation to your heart's desire.

Back
Top Bottom