Alan Greenspan's book advance

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just read that Alan Greenspan's new autobiography/memoir/economic treatise was bought for $8.5 million (his advance). While I understand why it may be of interest to people in economics, I just can't picture the general public buying and reading it. Do you think the publisher would ever sell enough copies to recoup the advance? The guy was a major player in US economics over many years, but he's no longer in the game. And even he admits that he just happened to be at the right place at the right time and can't take credit for all the economic growth (and some say he didn't do enough to stop the economic insanity of the current administration).

Just read that Alan Greenspan's new autobiography/memoir/economic treatise was bought for $8.5 million (his advance). While I understand why it may be of interest to people in economics, I just can't picture the general public buying and reading it. Do you think the publisher would ever sell enough copies to recoup the advance? The guy was a major player in US economics over many years, but he's no longer in the game. And even he admits that he just happened to be at the right place at the right time and can't take credit for all the economic growth (and some say he didn't do enough to stop the economic insanity of the current administration).

I wouldn't buy it.............:p

I saw him interviewed on the News Hour yesterday, and caught enough to understand that he's unhappy with Democrats and Republicans for various economic sins. He's apparently happy to point fingers...

Seems like there might be something in the book for anyone with a political axe to grind!

;-)

I think Bernanke is about 10 times smarter than Greenspan....time will tell if he's a political "yes-man" or has his own vision.........

Funny thing.... my sister called and said she saw Barbara Walters on the View... she dated him back when they both were young...

Barbara wanted to buy a condo for $250,000 but he talked her out of it saying it was a bad investment.... seems it it worth $32 million now..

Funny thing.... my sister called and said she saw Barbara Walters on the View... she dated him back when they both were young...quote]

I'll admit to not ever giving much thought to who Baba Walters has dated, but am surprised to hear that she dated AG. I must be missing this guy's charisma. Now he's married to Andrea Mitchell of NBC News. In a way, it's kind of cool since it shows that someone who almost definitelyw as very geeky as a kid is so successful as an adult, socially as well as financially/
vocationally...a revenge of the nerds type thing.

I just can't picture the general public buying and reading it.

Agreed. Check out this paragraph from the excerpt in Newsweek (click to read it):
greenspan.jpg

Actually, from that excerpt I'm thinking maybe I should read it....before bedtime as a cure for my insomnia!>:D

Actually, from that excerpt I'm thinking maybe I should read it....before bedtime as a cure for my insomnia!>:D

I must be more of a geek than I thought. That paragraph intrigues me. What were the demographic assumptions he refers to? He says people will be working longer hours in 2030 than in 2005, and how does that compare with historical trends? Will the effect of a diminished labor force really cut into the GDP to such a great extent?

It wouldn't work for insomnia. I think I'd stay up all night reading it!

I think Bernanke is about 10 times smarter than Greenspan....time will tell if he's a political "yes-man" or has his own vision.........

Yeah...... I can hear it now: "Yes Maam. Yes Hillary. Yes, I'll make those rate adjustments right away!"

Greenspan is a bright guy. His book might not be a fun read, but it will be filled with wisdom. I caught him on 60 minutes last Sun. and was impressed as always with his insight and thoughtful approach to the economy.

Greenspan half-jokingly thinks there should be a constitutional amendment like this, and I agree:

"Anyone willing to do what is necessary to become president of the United States is thereby barred from taking that office."

Funny thing.... my sister called and said she saw Barbara Walters on the View... she dated him back when they both were young...quote]

I'll admit to not ever giving much thought to who Baba Walters has dated, but am surprised to hear that she dated AG. I must be missing this guy's charisma. Now he's married to Andrea Mitchell of NBC News. In a way, it's kind of cool since it shows that someone who almost definitelyw as very geeky as a kid is so successful as an adult, socially as well as financially/
vocationally...a revenge of the nerds type thing.

The 60 minutes show that interviewed him got him to admit he was a social climber.. he craved attention... you can be a geek and want to be with the 'in' group also, I guess.

The 60 minutes show that interviewed him got him to admit he was a social climber.. he craved attention... you can be a geek and want to be with the 'in' group also, I guess.

Looks like he was successful in all in his goals

Back
Top Bottom