Fosamax

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
Two years ago my doctor prescrbed Fosamax for the begining stages of osteoporosis .I have to admit that I rarely took it .I don't know why because I'm usually really good about following a doctor's advice .Well I've had two bone densitytests since then and my bones keep getting better in fact I don't have to fake taking it anymore . Apparently just keeping it in the medicine cabinet increased my bone health !

A close friend of mine was on Fosamax following a full hysterectomy at an early age. After taking it for probably 6 -7 years, she stumbled and fell while stepping over a threshold of a doorway. Broke her femur, requiring a rod inserted from her hip to her knee. While in the hospital for that, an exam uncovered that she is also suffering from "dead jaw", where her jaw is actually losing bone mass. Seems there is some evidence that taking the drug longer than 5 years is not advisable.

Google "Fosamax side effects" to read some of the problems that others have had...Yikes.

Two years ago my doctor prescrbed Fosamax for the begining stages of osteoporosis .I have to admit that I rarely took it .I don't know why because I'm usually really good about following a doctor's advice .Well I've had two bone densitytests since then and my bones keep getting better in fact I don't have to fake taking it anymore . Apparently just keeping it in the medicine cabinet increased my bone health !

Whatever you did , congratulations! Strong bones rank somewhere above cleanliness and godliness. :)

Ha

DW takes Actonel for that. Wonder if it has the same side effect.

Well I've had two bone densitytests since then and my bones keep getting better in fact I don't have to fake taking it anymore . Apparently just keeping it in the medicine cabinet increased my bone health !
Have you been lifting weights or getting more calcium in your regular diet? Could it be a lifestyle effect rather than a placebo?

Have you been lifting weights or getting more calcium in your regular diet? Could it be a lifestyle effect rather than a placebo?

Nope !!! If anything I haven't been walking as much since I took some time off from the gym .I've been swimming but that doesn't help your bones since it's non weight bearing . Same amount of calcium intake .It makes me wonder how acccurate these bone density tests are .

Same thing happened to my DW. She was diagnosed with low bone density which baffled her since she has ALWAYS consumed more milk than anyone either of us has ever known. Doctor prescribed some drug, but DW was suspicious from the start and did not even pick up the drug. A year later she had another test. SURPRISE! Bone mass was normal.

I just started taking Actonel due to osteopenia. This thread gives me hope that my bones won't turn to dust within the next few years.

I just started taking Actonel due to osteopenia. This thread gives me hope that my bones won't turn to dust within the next few years.

No ,If mine haven't yours are probably safe ! I kept waiting for them to tell me my bones were detiorating so when the chart said I was cured I said Alleluia !

I've been taking Actonel once a week for almost 4 years now. Yes, I'm a guy and guys get osteoporosis too. Sometimes people look at me in disbelief, including a couple of doctors (ENT and more recently a different orthopedic guy who I went to see with a broken toe). Just to make him happy, I'm going to let him do another bone density test. Both of the other tests plus the other stuff have said the same thing, so I'm not expecting any news.

I've been taking Actonel once a week for almost 4 years now. Yes, I'm a guy and guys get osteoporosis too.

So true martyb

My first boss retired in 1987 and was about 6' 3" and maybe 220#. I saw him every few years after he retired and didn't really notice much different. And then I didn't see him for about 5 years. We had a luncheon several years ago with some of the old retirees and I knew everyone on sight when I walked in except for one person. I couldn't figure out who this little short guy was.......until he spoke.

OMG, that's DRF :eek: He just barely came to my shoulder, he was almost a foot shorter than he was when he retired. He never suspected anything like osteoporosis would happen to him, even though his mother suffered from it.

Has anyone spoken to their doctor about taking a break from Actonel/Fosamax? It seems like if the bones have been maintained, it could be possible to go months or years without taking Actonel again.

I was so excited to be put on Actonel since my mom had osteoporosis very badly (very hunched over and she did break a hip). I was diagnosed with osteopenia in my 40s, which freaked me out since I did weight-bearing exercise, lifted weights, and took calcium. My bones have since remained the same/improved a little.

But a few months ago, I started to experience heartburn/acid reflux which I never ever had before. Research has shown that Actonel can be associated with this (as well as the necrosis in the jaw and the bones actually becoming more brittle). My doctor said I could stop it for a few weeks, then start again. I did this and there's no more heartburn. I was under a lot of stress at the time, and that may be what caused it rather than the Actonel.

But there really hasn't been enough long-term research on these drugs since they are new. Is anyone here comfortable with remaining on it for the rest of their lives?

But there really hasn't been enough long-term research on these drugs since they are new. Is anyone here comfortable with remaining on it for the rest of their lives?

No ,I was not comfortable taking it for whatever reason .Maybe I felt I really did not need it . No history of osteoporosis in my family and no real risk factors except I use inhaled steroids for asthma .

good bone density is something my mom is proud of, and one thing that doesn't plague her health (she has lots of other problems)...

culturally her diet does NOT include any dairy - only lots of leafy green veggies, sardines (bone in) and bone based soups.

...and guys get osteoporosis too.

I just started reading the November issue of Vanity Fair and in an article about the Kennedy family called "As Camelot Began" is the following about John F. Kennedy: Kennedy had struggled with a variety of ailments for a long time -- spastic colitis, osteoporosis, prostatitis, urethritis and Addison's disease (a malfunction of the adrenal gland.....

This is the first time I've ever heard that JFK suffered from osteoporosis.....

This is the first time I've ever heard that JFK suffered from osteoporosis.....

Wasn't he on massive steriod doses for one of his ills? I think that may have been the cause of his osteoporosis but don't know for sure.

Mike D.

The osteoporosis may have been the end result of his back surgeries, etc. It's interesting that his medical history has been hidden all these years, according to the article I was reading, until a Freedom of Information request five years ago forced its disclosure. Wonder if he could have even been elected these days with that medical history.....

Anyway, I found his osteoporosis an interesting side note.

Actonel effects

I took Actonel for osteoporosis for a couple of months, once a week. I just stopped because I had very bad bladder irritation. My Gyn didn't think of the drug as a cause, but I found it listed on the product insert. I'm 100% better without it. I am worried about not taking it: I eat dairy, take supplements, lift weights and run!

Back
Top Bottom