Good Pancreas Transplant News

MikeD

Full time employment: Posting here.
To paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield: I'm OK Now But, Boy, Last Week was Really Something.

Last Saturday I finally got a successful pancreas transplant! So I guess the 13th try was my lucky one.

My surgeon was very picky about approving the donated organ in an express effort to make sure that I got a good one. After it was "installed" it started working pretty quickly, which is a very good sign. My last shot was Friday at midnight.

My operation was estimated to take about 2 - 3 hours. It took six because I have a real lot of scar tissue left over from the last pancreas xplant and I was too fat.

I was released on Wednesday afternoon after only 4.5 days (a new record, beating the 5 day record). I have to go into the transplant center twice a week for follow up blood tests and to see my transplant surgeon. I am still really, really tired and worn out feeling but very happy that everything is working out and on track for now. I don't have any unusual complications and it's great to have normal blood sugars again.

Being in the hospital really seems to take a toll on me. It seems to take about one day to recover for each day spent there. They wake you up about once an hour for something or other like blood pressure, shots, pills, temperature, blood draws, etc. You never really get any sleep. I just turn into a zombie. I am still recovering from this operation and am on pain pills so I am still kind of foggy.

I am on heavy doses of steroids to avoid rejection. They will be tapered off in the next three months. Steroids change the set-point of pancreas' blood sugar level. So, when I lower the steroids the blood sugars should come down. They are happy with 130s and 160s. Normal blood sugar is between 80 and 120. The pancreas was in excellent shape and started working quickly, a good sign. Also, it was OOB (out of body) for over 12 hours and cleaned up and "trimmed" by my Dr before getting my blood supply and springing back to life. Boing.

My last few blood sugar tests have yielded blood sugars of 130. Last night's was 83 AFTER EATING! This is really good news and I am thrilled.

The chances of having a rejection in the first three months is 20% which kind of jolted me when I found out. I expected lower like 3%.

This operation was about half as long in the operating room as my first xplant in '96. It has taken a lot more out of me. I am apparently feeling the effects of age.

This hospital visit resulted in a new experience for me. Tuesday afternoon, someone was strolling the halls outside the rooms of the 7th floor wearing a large strap-on harp and playing folk songs for about 45 minutes. Is harp music what you really want to hear when waking up in a hospital room?

Mike D.

Congratulations, MikeD! Wishing you and your new pancreas many happy years together!

Fantastic! It sounds as though things are going well, and I know you are feeling a sense of relief. Best wishes for continued improvement!

TG

Excellent news, Mike! I hope you splurged for the extended warranty. :)

MikeD, wishing you all the best..

I haven't ever confronted anything as serious as you're going through, but I remember the hospital routine: 6:00 am cleaning people who do all they can to shove the metal wastebasket from one side of the room to the other (practicing for curling?). 7:00 am meds or admin.; 8:00 am breakfast; 9:00 am meds or admin.; 10:00 am a doc appears, etc.. basically they leave you from about midnight to six to get any rest, if that!

I have a funny picture in mind of the surgeon poking the pancreas like a housewife at the local shop: hmmm, don't you have one that's (bigger, smaller, less fatty, more fatty)? Glad you got one that's juuuust riiight!!!

We are all pulling for you and hope that 13 turns out to be a lucky October number!

Here is to a speedy recovery.

Congratulations Mike!
I have considered going that direction myself and probably will someday:)
Good luck, hope this one lasts a good long time for you.

We will pray for you and your family. I sincerely hope that #13 is the last one.

GOD BLESS:angel:

Have you had 13 actual installations??!! :eek:
Oh, no! I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that. I had a kidney/pancreas transplant in '96. The transplanted pancreas stopped working after 8.5 years (three years ago). The kidney is still happy as a clam. I have been on the pancreas transplant list for two years. During the last year I was at the top of my local list so I was called every time a pancreas fitting my requirements became available. They call you right away to start setting things up in case it works out. I was called 12 times when it didn't work out. Three of them, I was actually in the hospital with IVs in my arm waiting for them to "procure" the donor's organ and examine it but it turned out to be too damaged or fatty or malformed for use. Once I was offered a pancreas infected with hepatitus C which I turned down.

My 13th try comment was about that this last, successful time was the 13th call I'd gotten during my two years on the list. According to the transplant center, it's not unusual for a lot of false alarms when dealling with pancreases, as they are delicate, and most organs are gotten as the result of trauma.

Mike D.

Oh, good thing, i couldn't believe anyone would have to go through 13 transplants!

Congrats! and get lots of rest!!! you certainly deserve it...

i will appreciate my pancreas more today thanks to your post!

I'm glad that pancreas found a good home!

Wishing you many years of good health!

I followed your near misses on getting a pancreas so it is so great to hear you finally got one! Take care and keep that puppy for as long as you can!

Congratulations and best wishes.

So you have a kidney from person A (for 11 years) and now a pancreas from person B.

Amazing.

Congratulations and best wishes.

So you have a kidney from person A (for 11 years) and now a pancreas from person B.

Amazing.

I am very grateful to be in this position. I am pretty sure I would be dead without my first transplant. This second one should greatly extend the life of my transplanted kidney and my own life as well. I am very happy and it really hasn't sunk in yet (it's only been 9 days so far).

I am not having any unusual complications.

Mike D.

Glad it went so well. What a lot of ups and downs to have to go through!

So glad to hear this, Mike. I hope this one lasts forever and does what it's supposed to do. You sound like you have a great attitude.

Best wishes.

My 13th try comment was about that this last, successful time was the 13th call I'd gotten during my two years on the list. According to the transplant center, it's not unusual for a lot of false alarms when dealling with pancreases, as they are delicate, and most organs are gotten as the result of trauma.

Mike D.

Wow, sounds like you've been through a lot. Really happy you found a good match, I didn't realize it was so difficult. Makes one appreciate the wonder of the human body. Something so small as a pancreas or a kidney, yet so precise and complex that we're unable to replicate it and replace it with something artificial in the body. Maybe someday...

Great news MikeD!

My mother passed away several years ago from pancreas complications, so I'm sensitive to how critical this can be. I'm sure glad to hear that you're getting a new contract.

Don't answer this if I'm being to personal, but do you know what contributed to your kidney/pancreas failure originally? Are there things to avoid doing that might lead to these type problems? My dad always claimed mom ate too much sugar products, but I never give him much credit in the prognostication department.

Don't answer this if I'm being to personal, but do you know what contributed to your kidney/pancreas failure originally? Are there things to avoid doing that might lead to these type problems? My dad always claimed mom ate too much sugar products, but I never give him much credit in the prognostication department.

My main health problem is type 1 diabetes since age 6 which I got back in 1960 coupled with my failure to control my blood sugar well enough. High blood sugars damage small blood vessels in all the organs with the kidneys and eyes especially vulnerable.

I think I'm to blame mostly for the lack of control as does my internist of over 25 years. My kidney Dr. says not to take so much blame because he has seen many diabetics with lifetimes of good control still have the same kind of kidney failure.

Almost all of my medical problems throughout my life has been complications of diabetes. All except appendicitis and a gall bladder removal, I guess.

Oh, re-reading my answer I see I wasn't clear that my original pancreas is still in there and this new one is additional. Since it has the ability to produce insulin it pretty cures the blood sugar control aspect of the diabetes. So in total, I now have three kidneys (1 transplanted plus two orig) and two pancreases all at the same time.

Mike D.

Stop hogging all the organs... :p

I can only imagine the fortitude that living with a debilitating condition requires. Good for you, MikeD!!

You've drawn a tough card, MikeD. I really hope it works for you this time. I really hope something comes from stem cell organ renewal research some day. Probably won't be in our lifetime, but maybe my daughter's generation or the next. The number of people that could be helped is huge.

Back
Top Bottom